Can’t depend on my tip.

twal

"W"
Silver Member
So the other night in league paying my first of four games. The other guy misses and I step to the table make 1 ball and then miscue and foul. I give up ball in hand and he runs out.

Honestly, I am not a guy to blame my tip. Personally I blame myself for not stroking through or changing my mind while down on a shot. On a separate table as the night went on working on getting tuned up and ready to play my next game. There is 45 minutes between my games. As I warmed up and loosed up my stroke more, I ended up miscuing like 3 more times.:mad:

Needless to say I lost all confidence in my tip. By the way I was using a Kamui Black Soft. So as the night went on I played bad. The blame really is on me. I did not adjust to the conditions. I was frustrated!

I know others here have complained about this tip before. Maybe that was in the back of my mind and maybe I started to buy into that theory. I was so pissed that went I got home I cut that tip off and put on a Onyx tip, like 5 minutes after I got in the door.

So now I have the Onyx on and it feels okay but I miss the elasticity from the Kamui Black. Has anyone gone thought this before (form some prior posts I think maybe). Assuming you like the Kamui Black, do you also miss that elasticity or spring you get from the Kamui Black? Tell me I will get used to this. :frown:
 
Miscue

What do you mean by elasticity? Is it a little crisper hit with the Kamui Soft? If the Onyx play a little too soft and you want a slightly crisper hit, you could always press it with a tip compression tool. Just don't over do it, because a harder tip is more prone to miscues. Also with the Kamui, did you rough it up with either the Kamui Gator Grip or a tip tool. Once your tip gets glossy, it will miscue. This will happen with any tip when it gets in this condition.
 
I ues the term elasticity becasue that is right out of Kamui's web site. Check it out yourself: http://www.kamuitips.com/
From my perspective "Feel" is sometimes hard to put into terms and I am not a writer:)

As far as roughing up the tip etc... Yes I keep a tip tool in my back pocket and also ues a tip pick. so I am 100% sure the miscues that I experienced were not due to my in ablility to keep the tip properly maintained. After each time I would reshaft and or scuff the tip etc...

I care for may shaft and also install tips on the side as well. So I know what I am doing.

Right now the Onxy is a new tip and I have only shot maybe 1 hr or so with it. So there is the break in period. I grips okay thus far but like I said I miss that elasticity or little bit of "springyness" :smile: from thre Kamui black.

If anythin this just a post for me to vent. I feel a little better now :grin-square:
 
You can "get used" to anything .

But will it satisfy your demanding standards ? Aye , there's the rub . . . .
 
My understanding that you're not supposed to use a tip pick on Kamui's. I have Kamui Black mediums on almost all of my cues and I use the Gator Grip to maintain them and I like them better than anything I've ever used before. What diameter is your shaft? If you're using a small diameter shaft that could have a lot to do with it. Was it one of the new Kamui blacks with the hologram or one of the older ones? More than likely you hit it bad and then it got into your head.

I scuff my tip with the Gator Grip @ the first of the session and chalk between every shot and I've never had problems with the Kamui's miscueing for over the year or so that I've used them.
 
I ues the term elasticity becasue that is right out of Kamui's web site. Check it out yourself: http://www.kamuitips.com/
From my perspective "Feel" is sometimes hard to put into terms and I am not a writer:)

As far as roughing up the tip etc... Yes I keep a tip tool in my back pocket and also ues a tip pick. so I am 100% sure the miscues that I experienced were not due to my in ablility to keep the tip properly maintained. After each time I would reshaft and or scuff the tip etc...

I care for may shaft and also install tips on the side as well. So I know what I am doing.

Right now the Onxy is a new tip and I have only shot maybe 1 hr or so with it. So there is the break in period. I grips okay thus far but like I said I miss that elasticity or little bit of "springyness" :smile: from thre Kamui black.

If anythin this just a post for me to vent. I feel a little better now :grin-square:

After the tip breaks in, it will start hitting better. I actually did the same thing, but with a Kamui Medium. It was too hard for me, and I wanted to try an Onyx so I went with it. It played very soft at first, but after several sessions, it started to feel much better.
 
So the other night in league paying my first of four games. The other guy misses and I step to the table make 1 ball and then miscue and foul. I give up ball in hand and he runs out.

Honestly, I am not a guy to blame my tip. Personally I blame myself for not stroking through or changing my mind while down on a shot. On a separate table as the night went on working on getting tuned up and ready to play my next game. There is 45 minutes between my games. As I warmed up and loosed up my stroke more, I ended up miscuing like 3 more times.:mad:

Needless to say I lost all confidence in my tip. By the way I was using a Kamui Black Soft. So as the night went on I played bad. The blame really is on me. I did not adjust to the conditions. I was frustrated!

I know others here have complained about this tip before. Maybe that was in the back of my mind and maybe I started to buy into that theory. I was so pissed that went I got home I cut that tip off and put on a Onyx tip, like 5 minutes after I got in the door.

So now I have the Onyx on and it feels okay but I miss the elasticity from the Kamui Black. Has anyone gone thought this before (form some prior posts I think maybe). Assuming you like the Kamui Black, do you also miss that elasticity or spring you get from the Kamui Black? Tell me I will get used to this. :frown:



Pay attention to your stroke / follow through and you will have no problems. I use to play with a guy who used a Broom Stick to beat some decent players. He would chalk up the end / rounded part of the stick and just fire balls in, he could draw the cue ball, and anything else he wanted to do.

Since I watched him play like that I have never blamed a tip for poor shooting, if it was Mushroomed, or delaminating or loose I would change it other than that it is all about your stoke.

JIMO
 
Listen to Manwon - he knows his stuff. It could be your stroke causing the miscues and not so much the tip. I used to shoot with a SuperPro because I like hard tips but I did experience some miscues - especially when the cue ball was on the cushion. Hate those shots. I bought a used McDermott I-3 shaft a while back and it comes with a Moori soft tip. I love the shaft and the hit with the Moori is great. Long story short, the tip doesn't mushroom at all (I was worried about that) and you could count the number of miscues on the fingers of one hand after about 7 or 8 months of use. The Moori soft tip is hard to beat in my book. You may want to try it. But again, it's the same old story, it's what you like and feel comfortable with that counts.
 
Yes, let's say I feel comfortable in what I know.
I chalk after evey shot, not too much, not too little.
I experiment with just about evey tip, and shaft I can try.

Like I said in my orig. post, I felt that my stroke was the issue, not the tip. But I am mental!!!!!

Once it got in my head, as hard as I tried not to let it, I just had to rip that tip off. I just miss the feel from the Kamui black.

That is okay. I will get used to the new tip. Also I need to go back to basics and work on my stroke. Clearly it needs some work :cool:
 
So the other night in league paying my first of four games. The other guy misses and I step to the table make 1 ball and then miscue and foul. I give up ball in hand and he runs out.

Honestly, I am not a guy to blame my tip. Personally I blame myself for not stroking through or changing my mind while down on a shot. On a separate table as the night went on working on getting tuned up and ready to play my next game. There is 45 minutes between my games. As I warmed up and loosed up my stroke more, I ended up miscuing like 3 more times.:mad:

Needless to say I lost all confidence in my tip. By the way I was using a Kamui Black Soft. So as the night went on I played bad. The blame really is on me. I did not adjust to the conditions. I was frustrated!

I know others here have complained about this tip before. Maybe that was in the back of my mind and maybe I started to buy into that theory. I was so pissed that went I got home I cut that tip off and put on a Onyx tip, like 5 minutes after I got in the door.

So now I have the Onyx on and it feels okay but I miss the elasticity from the Kamui Black. Has anyone gone thought this before (form some prior posts I think maybe). Assuming you like the Kamui Black, do you also miss that elasticity or spring you get from the Kamui Black? Tell me I will get used to this. :frown:


i had the same deal happen to me when i was using a kamui black. they seem to glaze over after they've been broken in. i'm back to using lesser known layered tips ( no complaints so far) or triangles

make the switch man. you'll never have to worry about it again
 
Back
Top