Can a poolroom make it without liquor nowdays?

h2o4170

h2o4170
Silver Member
Where I grew up in MI the poolrooms didnt sell beer or booze,I think it was a law back then.Nowdays in FL it seems without full liqour they realy have a hard time making the nut.Is there enough money in pool to pay the rent.

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Possible, but very, very hard from the looks of it. The pool room that I started playing at was probably the last place without alcohol in this area that was able to make money. They closed about 10 years ago. In another 10 years, maybe there will only be sports bars with tables. This seems to be the route taken by some of the places around here.

kevin s

Tennessee
Silver Member
yes but its alot of work

Where I grew up in MI the poolrooms didnt sell beer or booze,I think it was a law back then.Nowdays in FL it seems without full liqour they realy have a hard time making the nut.Is there enough money in pool to pay the rent.

You have to have a low overhead,no employees and a lot of food sales. I average around 200 a day in food sales. Its a lot of work for a simple living.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
At the Very LEAST BEER!
anheuser%20busch%20beer.jpg

h2o4170

h2o4170
Silver Member
At the Very LEAST BEER!
anheuser%20busch%20beer.jpg

Im starting to think even beer isnt enough.With liquor you get better tipping so you can afford better/more bartenders at less money per hour.But then are you a poolroom or a bar with pool tables.Its sad to say but I think poolhalls are quickly becoming a thing of the past.Its hard to beat the atmosphere of the old upstairs rooms up north.Something about climbing the stairs into those old rooms just puts you in the mood.

pjwoolw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The full bar halls (pretty much bars with pool tables near me) seem to be staying afloat. Along with extremely high table rates in prime time (whatever that means). But they don't open until 3 or 4 in the afternoon during the week. Opening at noon on weekends. If they are making money it isn't going into the tables or equipment. Their overhead must be outrageous. I guess they figure there aren't enough players (or drinkers) around during the early afternoon (their wrong) to open earlier.

But on the other hand the real pool halls open between 11 AM and noon every day. Have a great atmosphere, great tables and friendly folks. Look to be pretty prosperous. But for me thats a 50 mile round trip or more.
So in my area I do believe you could make it with no hard liquor.

h2o4170

h2o4170
Silver Member
If you did try to pay the rent on most comercial property nowdays with hourly pool time I dont think Donald trump could afford to play much.Everything has gotten so out of controll except the weekly pay check.Alot of working guys arent bringing home anymore than they did 20 years ago.And back then you could buy a new truck for 10 to 15,000.

BisonBilliards

BisonBilliards.com
Silver Member
It is very difficult, however we have been doing good these past two years without beer or liquor.

We depend a lot more on several things; our APA league nights, cue and pro shop sales, our weekly and monthly tournaments, and reaching out to our local colleges and companies with forming their own "APA leagues". We do a lot of promotions with students, have several private parties per month, and serve food.

Obviously we would be doing better with alcohol, and down the line it might happen depending on the economy, however right now we have a very clean, friendly, and professional look to our pool room. We do not have pounding loud music, haven't had a fight since we took over, and is purely focused on having the classic parlor atmosphere.

Cliffs: It IS possible, but not easy.

Jr.

jlrowe

Billiards,Boxing & Babes
Silver Member
Nope, Poker machines is the way to go if you can get by with it. Lot more profit than liquor. But of course im not condoning illegal activity.:grin:

h2o4170

h2o4170
Silver Member
It is very difficult, however we have been doing good these past two years without beer or liquor.

We depend a lot more on several things; our APA league nights, cue and pro shop sales, our weekly and monthly tournaments, and reaching out to our local colleges and companies with forming their own "APA leagues". We do a lot of promotions with students, have several private parties per month, and serve food.

Obviously we would be doing better with alcohol, and down the line it might happen depending on the economy, however right now we have a very clean, friendly, and professional look to our pool room. We do not have pounding loud music, haven't had a fight since we took over, and is purely focused on having the classic parlor atmosphere.

Jr.

Thanks for the rely.I played some straight pool with Chip Davis Thursday night in Stuart Fl he says your room is real nice.Cant wait to get up that way.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member

Jr.

I wish you well...and a greenie for the no loud & pounding music. :)

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member

I own a small room ( 9 tables) and one thing I have learned in the last 6 years you never say can't. In today's pool environment it is very important to understand that what you offer must be based on your local demographic. I believe that yes a room can survive without Alcohol, and I also believe that you can get by without a major menu of food items, every ting depends on your location but I also think you would have to be very inventive.

In my opinion though no room owner can make their nut by only renting tables, so the more you can offer the better your business will be. I personally think that combining a retail billiards store with a pool hall is a good idea, which I have done. In addition I also offer complete cue repair along with building cues for my customers. For drinks I sell bottled beer, soft drinks and small food items, since I do not have a large menu I allow my customers to order or bring food in.

To further enhance the business I receive from these area's I support my local APA and BCA leagues and I have a number of teams from both organization that play out of my Pool Room. Many people appreciate the fact that they can go to league and also get their cues taken care of, order or pick up other pool related items that they need. Most league players go to league when they are getting off of work, so it is very convenient for them to have almost everything they need at a single location.

JIMO

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Without Liquor

Nope, Poker machines is the way to go if you can get by with it. Lot more profit than liquor. But of course im not condoning illegal activity.:grin:

In Columbus Ohio they shut down every poker game that ever started within a couple of months and came smashing thru the doors after poker machines for the last 45 years that I know of. Now they have gambling machines right out in the open and a couple of poker rooms everyone knows about??? Did I miss a law change ? I'm Not talking about the "skill" rooms. They must be operating under some loophole although I don't really know since I have never been in one. There were "skill" pinball machines that paid off and they were always illegal here .

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I haven't ownd a room in years but I think if a room has been around a long time and the rent is cheap or the building is owned that in some areas you can still make it w/o the beer or booze. But opening a new room in a good location means high rent in most cases and thats a very hard nut to crack w/o beer/ wine, and booze. If I was looking to open a business today, poolroom wouldn't be high on my list. I'd be better off to open a whorehouse and run it by hand. Johnnyt

Last edited:

Medalist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1st State Billiards in Dover Delaware. Just family run, no employees. I think they own the building. They sell a little food but not much. It's all pool time and they have no desire to sell alcohol. It's a great room with great players and they seem to make a living at it. They get lots of kids there also of all ages. A good safe place for them to go. They also have a small room with a couple poker machines. Some kind of quirky Delaware rule allows it. Maybe that brings in a few bucks.

Last edited: