Can anyone acurrately date the year this cue was made?

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
I need some help identifying the approximate year that this cue was made, it is a Willie Hoppe Titlist cue that is Ebony. Any information on how to date this cue would help.

2.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

Thanks Craig

red stevens

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dating Willie Hoppe Pro

Since the joint lacks the brass collar and from what I have read in researching them it was probably made during the WWII period when brass was being used for cartridge cases for the war effort. I think this was the only tiime period which did not have the brass collar and also had that butt decal. Hope this helps.
Red

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Since the joint lacks the brass collar and from what I have read in researching them it was probably made during the WWII period when brass was being used for cartridge cases for the war effort. I think this was the only tiime period which did not have the brass collar and also had that butt decal. Hope this helps.
Red

Thnaks Red, that is also what I thought. But I also thought that cues made during that time frame also had an Ivory Ring above the bumper and this cue doesn't have one.

Thanks for the information

Xnotedgeanymore

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Based on the sticker color and logo you can determine the approximate age.I believe the blue ones like that were '40's, but that is only as accurate as my memory serves me. There is a lot of good information on these cues out there if you are willing to search for it. Perhaps someone else will recall the specifics better than myself and chime in.

Cool cue in any case! -Josh

red stevens

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue date

I have gone back through the info that I have. The loop in the W of Willie is pre 1945. The lack of the ivory Hoppe ring is an anomoly as is the rubber bumper. I have heard that Brunswick would do what the owner wanted if the cue was ordered. I also found that ebony was a special wood that was extra cost so maybe the bumper and lack of an ivory ring was the original buyers preference and it was special ordered that way. All of this is just conjecture on my part. Maybe there is an expert who could enlighten us all.
I would love to have one of these Hoppe pro cues. My grandfather had one which went to my Brother in the estate. I recently bought a Prather fullsplice blank to make into a tribute to my Grandfather's Hoppe pro. I am assembling the parts and will have Greg Sowder do the conversion. I am not to far away from you ,Manwon, here in Portland Oregon. Maybe I will come by your business on my next trip up North.
Red

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
I have gone back through the info that I have. The loop in the W of Willie is pre 1945. The lack of the ivory Hoppe ring is an anomoly as is the rubber bumper. I have heard that Brunswick would do what the owner wanted if the cue was ordered. I also found that ebony was a special wood that was extra cost so maybe the bumper and lack of an ivory ring was the original buyers preference and it was special ordered that way. All of this is just conjecture on my part. Maybe there is an expert who could enlighten us all.
I would love to have one of these Hoppe pro cues. My grandfather had one which went to my Brother in the estate. I recently bought a Prather fullsplice blank to make into a tribute to my Grandfather's Hoppe pro. I am assembling the parts and will have Greg Sowder do the conversion. I am not to far away from you ,Manwon, here in Portland Oregon. Maybe I will come by your business on my next trip up North.
Red

Red if you are ever in the area please stop by, but bring your cue so that we can hit some ball's. I have also done some research on these cues over the last 10 years. I also agree that it is kinda strange that the cue does not have an Ivory ring above the cues but cap. The label, the pin, and many other features of this cue all say that it was made in the early 1940's so unless this cue was modified it should have an Ivory Ring. In fact the cues joint not being Brass also says that this cue was made in the early 1940's because brass was being used in the War Effort.

Again thanks for your information and please stop by the next time you are in this area.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Craig,

It has the older (1940's decal) - can you take a better pic of the Wiilie Hoppe signature on the forearm - especially the "W"? I'm pretty sure this is 1942 - 1944 time period. That's also when it seems ebony was more commonly available.

Also, can you measure from the bottom of the wrap channel to the end of the buttcap. I'm wondering if there was damage to the ivory ring and someone might have cut it off.

Below are two photos - one of the WWII style joint and one of the decal of an early 1960's cue - when they went to no ivory ring.

Chris

Attachments

• HoppeWWIIJoint.jpg
    HoppeWWIIJoint.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 439
  • hOPPEPROdECAL.jpg
    hOPPEPROdECAL.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 454

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Craig,

It has the older (1940's decal) - can you take a better pic of the Wiilie Hoppe signature on the forearm - especially the "W"? I'm pretty sure this is 1942 - 1944 time period. That's also when it seems ebony was more commonly available.

Also, can you measure from the bottom of the wrap channel to the end of the buttcap. I'm wondering if there was damage to the ivory ring and someone might have cut it off.

Below are two photos - one of the WWII style joint and one of the decal of an early 1960's cue - when they went to no ivory ring.

Chris

Hey Chris, the cue is 57 3/4 length from the top of the joint collar to the bottom of the butt cap.

I will take some additional photo's later.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Hey Chris, the cue is 57 3/4 length from the top of the joint collar to the bottom of the butt cap.

I will take some additional photo's later.

I assume you mean 27 3/4. Mine is 28" and the ivory ring is exactly 1/4". The buttcap bottom measures 3" from the wrap channel.

Looking at the decal location on your cue and the butt sleeve, I would guess the ivory trim was cut off for a repair. The sleeve looks short. Here is a picture of what they looked like from the factory (this one below is a 50's version):

Attachments

• Hoppe Butt Detail Opt.jpg
    Hoppe Butt Detail Opt.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 328