Can O' Worms Better Left Unopened?

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
You are an experienced cue buyer. Check it out carefully and you will know for sure if it is a good buy for $150 (using your $100-$200 range). Trust your judgement and decide how much you are willing to spend. Once you make your decision, feel good about it regardless of the outcome.

Thanks Kelly...I will absolutely go with my gut on this one. If there is any breakage of the wood in the points, I'm out...not even gonna take it to Paul. If the points are just popped on one side, depending on how bad, I may take it to Paul to inspect. He'll be straight up with me as to whether it's worth the repair or not...he knows how much I loved this cue...and he'll remember it because it the only cue, to my knowledge, that he has ever done a SS sleeved 1/2 joint on...especially with a big pin.

Lisa ======> seriously hoping it's not as bad as the guy made it sound.

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
Ya know...if the cue had played like crap, I wouldn't even be thinking about it. I should have never sold it. I thought I was doing a nice thing for a war vet.

CaptainHook

NOT Mike Sigel
Silver Member
He better not!! Besides, he doesn't own any other cues, so what's the point of hanging onto the case and spare shaft?

No, I meant cause due to him "loaning it to a friend" and the possible cue abuse it suffered, that stuff could be in the trunk of his buddies car which was impounded for DUI or something.

That was a beuatiful cue, I hope you can get it back and fixed.

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
No, I meant cause due to him "loaning it to a friend" and the possible cue abuse it suffered, that stuff could be in the trunk of his buddies car which was impounded for DUI or something.

That was a beuatiful cue, I hope you can get it back and fixed.

Guess I'll find out tonight...providing he actually shows up with it. If he doesn't, I'm out of it altogether....not gonna keep dragging this thing out anymore than it already has.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you know, L...

1/2 of me thinks $100 for a $600 cue is a must-do.

The 1/2says no friggin way If he is willing to let it go for 1/6 of price, then it must be effectively worthless.

Then the last 1/2 says take a peek at it. I guess he may not know a thing about cues and priced it accordingly. Cocaine is a helluva drug.
Woodbridge_High_School_(Virginia)_logo.jpg

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
you know, L...

1/2 of me thinks $100 for a $600 cue is a must-do.

The 1/2says no friggin way If he is willing to let it go for 1/6 of price, then it must be effectively worthless.

Then the last 1/2 says take a peek at it. I guess he may not know a thing about cues and priced it accordingly. Cocaine is a helluva drug.
Woodbridge_High_School_(Virginia)_logo.jpg

I can absolutely vouch he knows nothing about cues, let alone cue construction. He originally came to me upset that I had sold him a cue with some bad glue in it. When I responded that there was nothing wrong with the glue or the cue when I sold it to him, is when he told me that he had been leaving it in his truck and that he had supposedly loaned it to a friend and it was returned to him that way, and the friend told him it must be bad glue.

Seeing as I never let a cue leave me without making sure that the shafts are cleaned and conditioned, the butt cleaned and polished (no wrap) and fully inspected for ANY issues....I know it was mistreated in some form or another. How bad that mistreatment was will tell the tale if I am in or out. I am fully aware that I have no obligation in this matter whatsoever...however, if the butt is not compromised structurally, and can be repaired fairly easily back to it's original state, then it might be worth a few bucks to me to get it repaired and returned to a place where it will be treated as it should. Might just be some expensive firewood at this point...I sincerely hope not, but I am not getting my expectations up.

Hey.....wait a minute!! Is that a WSHS Vikings logo at the bottom of your post?!!! I saw it after I posted my initial reply...kinda got my attention a little.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
There is way too many things that could have happened to that cue in 2.5 years. I wouldn't consider you liable in the least. I wouldn't even consider the maker liable at this point.

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
Well, what happened last night? did he even show?

Sorry for the delay.....I have some sort of 'bug' and have been down for a few days.

Okay...yes, he showed. I had spoken to Paul before heading out just to confirm what I should be looking for. There was only one point that actually had an issue, but it was not popped out as badly as he had made it sound. Just the tip actually came through the finish, although the veneers could be felt further down the point. Amazingly, the butt still rolled straight!

So it got it over to Paul, who took one look at it and said that it had been constantly exposed to extreme temperature variances, ie; the cue had been left in his truck 24/7. There were signs of contraction and expansion in several locations. Paul feels that the reason that the point popped is due to those variances, causing at some point some moisture to get up under the point tip and likely causing the glue to begin crystallizing, thus compromising it's ability to hold. The cue is repairable, is the good news.

Contacted the guy to tell him what I was told, and the cost to have the cue repaired. At that point, he basically told me I might as well keep it, as he couldn't afford to have it repaired at this time, and it would just sit in his closet until he finally got around to it. Considering how long it took for him to even get it to me, it would have likely sat forever. I was fairly well dumbfounded. While I have no obligation....I told him I would give him an old cue my son had that I had got for him better than 5 years ago, that he hasn't touched in over 3 years, and told me I could do what ever I needed to with it. It's just a much heavier (he said the other one was too light) sneaky pete cue that should suit him and his inability to take care of a cue. He seemed to be happy with that.

The cue is now back with Paul, and hopefully it will be as good as new sometime soon!

PS...no, I did not get pics because I totally forgot once I saw the cue and how it had been treated...while I kept my composure on the outside, I was fairly well seething on the inside. Instead, I put the cue back in it's case, at which point he pulled a barstick off the wall and wanted to play. Let's just say I got a lot of my frustration out on the table, and sent him putting the barstick back on the wall after several beatings.

PPS...he did not show the other night to pick up the other cue I had for him, and has yet to contact me since. I'm not gonna chase him down...it's on him now.

Last edited:

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
That's great, that he can fix it, hope your feeling better.:grin-square:

Actually....I am feeling much better about it, knowing now it can be saved. Would have been a real shame to have to firewood it. I'll get pics up once it's back.

This particular cue was the first one that I wanted to try a few things with, like the SS sleeved over phenolic FF 1/2 joint with the 3/8-11 pin. Plus Paul and I had sketched out the rings and butt cap together. I was tickled with how well it turned out and played. Looking forward to it coming home!

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 4 Beta

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
Quick update.

I picked up the cue from Paul yesterday. Could not even see the repair! Looks as good as it did when I first got it...could not be happier. It's not leaving me again.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quick update.

I picked up the cue from Paul yesterday. Could not even see the repair! Looks as good as it did when I first got it...could not be happier. It's not leaving me again.

Happy end to the story!
Good to hear, Lisa.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Quick update.

PICS!!!
....or it didn't happen

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
Happy end to the story!
Good to hear, Lisa.

Thanks Dave! The FB message I got was, "I have a cue here that wants it's mommy!" LoL!! Couldn't be happier...can't wait to get out a get reacquainted with it. :thumbup:

BTW...totally forgot that I had Paul put one of the MasonH micarta ferrules on the main playing shaft....that was a happy surprise!

Last edited:

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
PICS!!!
....or it didn't happen

LoL! It happened...but it looks just like it does in my picture above again. I forgot to take pics of the popped point before I rushed it over to Paul, but I honestly couldn't tell you which one it was now, the repair was just that good!!

Suffice to say, it's back where it belongs now, and will be treated with the tender loving care it deserves.