Can pool players benefit by crossing-over to 3-cushion billiards?

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
I don't think you need to learn three cushion at all if you learn similar ideas on a pool table, but it does help in many cases. The vast majority of top pool players not named Efren would look like fools playing any real carom player but they kick great when they're on a pool table.

One way or another, you need to learn many paths of the cueball. I think there is bigger difference at the amateur level than the pros.

I happen to love three cushion and play as much billiards as pool, but in the end pocketing balls is what matters most in pool. Playing three cushion on slow cloth gets many players into bad habits like using massive english on every shot...that just doesn't help your average player who is struggling to consistently pocket balls.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Heck ya!

What came first? The chicken or the egg? Kind of reminds me of the, what is most important pool question. Being a good shot or being a good position player?

Being able to put the cue ball where you want it, is or should be part of your shot.
All great pool players control the cue ball.

When I was a kid I was fortunate and got to play 3 cushion billiards. I even made 3 in a row and was ecstatic!

I am a better then average pool player for my hick town, but I am not really good.

But, I am convinced my time playing 3 cushion billiards taught me about English, cue ball speed, etc. Not every thing as I am still learning, but I know it helped!

I encourage any one who can to play the game.

The chicken came first.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
So. After three pages of how beneficial 3-cushion would be to your game, how many of you folks out there in radio land have access to a table?
In my fair city there isn't one to be found. :)

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
So. After three pages of how beneficial 3-cushion would be to your game, how many of you folks out there in radio land have access to a table?

This is a problem that I can help with

If you can convince your local place to pony up
New heated billiard tables are expensive, the good European tables

Soren sogaard is classy and iconic

10011-p.jpg

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any carom tables in the Dallas Fort Worth, TX area that anyone knows of? Public or private that is willing to share the experience and get a few new 3C players?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Any carom tables in the Dallas Fort Worth, TX area that anyone knows of? Public or private that is willing to share the experience and get a few new 3C players?

Other than Houston which has about 40 local tables or more by now

Skinny bobs in round rock
Or

Los sapitos in Arlington

http://www.3cushionbilliards.com/where-to-play/locations?layout=locations

Private I don't know

If you ever come by Houston let me know and I can make something happen for you

Last edited:

Chops02

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i had the benefit of having a carom table in the room i used to shoot in here (before it closed), and i have to say...easily the most addictive billiard game i've ever played. from the first point i made to running 4 a few times and one 5 or 6, it always left me wanting more (much like golf). definitely benefits to be gained from it for your pool game. i also found it a good escape when pool was getting a little boring. if you have the opportunity to play it and watch it played well, definitely take advantage. you won't regret it.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keep in mind that playing softly for contact isn't worth a tinker's dam in reality....IMO.

Billiard tables I've played on had faster cloths than the Simonis cloths on 9 ft tables and much more importantly, the tables are longer and wider. Regulation 5 x 10 foot carom billiards tables have a playing surface (measured between the noses of the cushions) of 112" x 56" within 5 mm.

Regulation 4 1/2 x 9 pocket billiard tables have a playing surface (measured between the noses of the cushions) of 100 " x 50" (127 cm) with a   1⁄8-inch within 3.2 mm. Geometrically speaking, the tracks don't change but the stroke velocity required does differ for play on a 10 ft. Also keep in mind there's no open rails to deal with. A 9 ft, table has at least 27" of open rail that doesn't occur on a billiard table.

Additionally, the English you apply is often more extreme and you don't have to deliver that to an object ball that's 6 ft. away that needs to be hit with a thin 1/8 cut shot. In billiards, you are shooting at the short or long rail directly or as an intended consequence after striking one of the billiard balls. You frequently spin the cue ball more than needed in pocket billiards. Lastly, the shot forgiveness is enormous since you have 2.25" of object ball to only need touch anywhere on its spherical shape instead of a specific aim point for pocketing a shot in pocket billiards.

I've played a lot of 3 cushion billiards and let me tell you, if you are not careful, it can throw off your pocket billiards game. Remember while center ball is used more sparingly in 3 cushion billiards, it's a tremendous ally in pocket billiards. You can pick up some bad habits for your pocket billiards game if you are not careful to balance out your time.
playing softly for contact develops touch and finesse. If you're not a vegetable or a robot, you adjust naturally on the pool table.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

if you bring up the subject often enough in the pool room, eventually you'll hear something about one in a guy's garage or basement or some sort of private club.

billiard and snooker tables pop-up on craigslist more than you might expect; so, they're out there.

efirkey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For one full year I played nothing but 3 cushion billiards. When I went back to pool I was so much better at kicking and safeties and generally just knowing where the cue ball was going after contacting other balls. Playing 3 cushion for a year made me a better pool player in all games.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

LosSapitos has 2 locations. Arlington off Abrams and a Dallas location. Real good players in both places. Poster Samiel could probably be talked into playing;) He is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet.

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I play about 1and a half hrs a week on the three cushion in my poolroom and about 15 hours a week at pool. Yes, it helps your safety play and kicking game. To me pool is seeing triangles not just angles and 3 cushion is definitely all about triangles. Sometimes before a match I will play some 3 cushion but it is important to get to the pool table for a half hour before my match because the 3 cushion balls are bigger and heavier. Here is a picture of the Gabriels Kronos that I play on. I have heard there are only 20 Kronos in the states. people come from all over to play on it.

http://www.gabrielsbilliards.com/caromtables/kronos

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
There's 2 here at the place I frequent
i don't know why they would want to play one one more than the more common imperator , I know they are the mid tier Gabriel's , the imperator is 7800 new and they only go up from there, I know I HAD one :(

Last edited:

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LosSapitos has 2 locations. Arlington off Abrams and a Dallas location. Real good players in both places. Poster Samiel could probably be talked into playing;) He is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet.

Thank you for that info (and the call), alphadog - appreciate your help as always!

K.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Any chance you could PM the info about these places to the guy who started this thread? He maintains the most up to date list I know if for places to play 3C. I would have liked to have known about those places when my S-in-law was in Dallas, and then when we visited a month ago.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play about 1and a half hrs a week on the three cushion in my poolroom and about 15 hours a week at pool. Yes, it helps your safety play and kicking game. To me pool is seeing triangles not just angles and 3 cushion is definitely all about triangles. Sometimes before a match I will play some 3 cushion but it is important to get to the pool table for a half hour before my match because the 3 cushion balls are bigger and heavier. Here is a picture of the Gabriels Kronos that I play on. I have heard there are only 20 Kronos in the states. people come from all over to play on it.

http://www.gabrielsbilliards.com/caromtables/kronos

At the Sr. center where I play there frequently is a pretty good 4 or 5 handed golf game on one of the snooker tables and a 3C table right near it. It is not at all unusual for one or to of the golf players (and they use snooker balls so the size/weight are even more different) to wander over an play a 3C shot or two while waiting for their turn in the golf game when the 3C table is open.. With this thread in mind I asked one of them if they found switching back and forth a problem, and he told me that the nature of the shots is so different in the two games that it wasn't a problem for him.

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member

I walked into a place here and saw what looked to be 12...Filipino? Laotian? (No offense...I'm just not sure of the nationality) players and several tables. The place has "coffee shop" in the name, but there wasn't so much as a Mr. Coffee or Keurig in the place. I'm a 6'5" Caucasian. I stood out like a dead nun in a snowbank. I suddenly had 24 eyes on me, and immediately reached into my pocket for the reassuring (momentarily) presence of my Ruger LCR. I say I was momentarily relieved because it hit me that 12 - 5 = 7, and that's if I score one takedown per guy, which ain't happening.

I haven't been back, but a friend at the cigar shop told me PD visited them not long after.