can remove epoxied weight bolt? if so, how?

blokid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks everybody for all the responses
glue not showing is a good point..hadn't really considered the rust either
I emailed a rep for the company that sold the cue
they said the bolt wasn't glued in, but was machine-tightened
I can only take their word for it
but am left with the thing

would anybody here with the tools and knowhow be willing to take a crack at it?
I would of course cover shipping costs and would be happy to pay for the work
if the bolt could come out, I would also be interested in a tip change
not sure if it matters, but this is meant to be a carom cue, and has a wood pin, fyi
thanks again
Hi bro,
Just use metric hex allen key and twist it with force.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
So surgery was a success, Sean sent it to me and after trying some lesser means, it came down to an allen wrench in a vice, with lot of heat over a span of 15 minutes, and the 2 shoulder brute force twist followed by an impact driver. Bolt had a smidge og glue at the bottom, but was rusted, and 6" long. Patient has recovered and has been released and is on it's way back home. It was great talking to you Sean, it was a pleasure to help.
Dave
20210417_201000.jpg

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So surgery was a success, Sean sent it to me and after trying some lesser means, it came down to an allen wrench in a vice, with lot of heat over a span of 15 minutes, and the 2 shoulder brute force twist followed by an impact driver. Bolt had a smidge og glue at the bottom, but was rusted, and 6" long. Patient has recovered and has been released and is on it's way back home. It was great talking to you Sean, it was a pleasure to help.
Dave
View attachment 592589

there's more than one "dr. dave" on azb, y'all! 😊😊
and if you didn't already know, this one's a real gent.
thanks again for the help, dave- can't wait to hit with the "new" cue!

~sean

kgoods

Consistently Inconsistent
Gold Member
Dave
Nice job Dave! Wow, how much did that thing weigh? Now I understand why Sean wanted that thing out of there, must have been hella butt heavy!

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
I got both of mine out (1 in a Schon,one in an unknown,possibly South East cue) today,using a flat stock,90 degree pry bar that came in a 10.00 3pc set from Wal Mart and about 15 seconds on the bench grinder to grind it to a tight fit for the slot,plus a little help in the form of a pencil type soldering iron on the Schon,just barely enough heat to feel it on the outside of the buttsleeve,tried the pry bar and POOF!,instant success with no visable damage to the 20 gram steel weight bolt.

I tried it with no heat on the mystery cue with a buzz and it worked there too,this time the element holding the process up was actual rust near the bottom of the 3",42 gram bolt in that one,but no visible damage there either so both are cleaned up and reuseable ;). Tommy D.

CuesRus1973

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave
View attachment 592589
That looks like it hurt coming out...

CuesRus1973

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got both of mine out (1 in a Schon,one in an unknown,possibly South East cue) today,using a flat stock,90 degree pry bar that came in a 10.00 3pc set from Wal Mart and about 15 seconds on the bench grinder to grind it to a tight fit for the slot,plus a little help in the form of a pencil type soldering iron on the Schon,just barely enough heat to feel it on the outside of the buttsleeve,tried the pry bar and POOF!,instant success with no visable damage to the 20 gram steel weight bolt.

I tried it with no heat on the mystery cue with a buzz and it worked there too,this time the element holding the process up was actual rust near the bottom of the 3",42 gram bolt in that one,but no visible damage there either so both are cleaned up and reuseable ;). Tommy D.
Schon has a bench with a flat piece of metal mounted on it just for their weight bolts.

thoffen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will admit I didn't read many responses to the original question. Here is an OPINION, If you epoxy in a weight bolt you should die in a bad way then go directly to hell. Ya know, just an opinion. A certain FALCON MADE PREDATOR P.O.S, comes to mind!!

Changing the bolt also changes the balance of the cue. I'd say a custom maker who designed a cue a certain way could be well intentioned in not making it removable. This is assuming the bolt doesn't serve a structural purpose.

Now, cheap production cues who just slap in whatever weight bolt to get the desired weight are a different story. Kind of like a cell phone without a removable battery. At least a whole lot more R&D goes into the cell phone.

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have had lots of ( custom cues) from a-z, only a few have been quite the way I like a cue to weigh and balance. So gluing in a bolt in is asinine! that is one reason for example that I wont buy a Huebler that weighs more than I would want to play with even though I really like the cue. The heavy ones tend to be back weighted oddly balanced and typically nearly impossible to correct with a crazy bunch of crap in the back all glued together. I like what I like and if I am the owner of a pool cue I prefer to be able to make it fit my personal preferences, not the guys that made it. I am the owner! I want it my way! making it permanently 'your way' is an act of arrogant behavior assuming what you like is best for all. I'll pass on that. changing the bolt does change the weight and balance as you said. That allows it to be Custom..ized.

thoffen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had lots of ( custom cues) from a-z, only a few have been quite the way I like a cue to weigh and balance. So gluing in a bolt in is asinine! that is one reason for example that I wont buy a Huebler that weighs more than I would want to play with even though I really like the cue. The heavy ones tend to be back weighted oddly balanced and typically nearly impossible to correct with a crazy bunch of crap in the back all glued together. I like what I like and if I am the owner of a pool cue I prefer to be able to make it fit my personal preferences, not the guys that made it. I am the owner! I want it my way! making it permanently 'your way' is an act of arrogant behavior assuming what you like is best for all. I'll pass on that. changing the bolt does change the weight and balance as you said. That allows it to be Custom..ized.

I'd be interested to see what the custom builders here have to say about this. They're the ones with the reputations to uphold. From my vantage point, I don't see it unreasonable if a builder wants to limit the ease of which their cue is modified. Having modified cues that don't play right or otherwise play inconsistently with other cues you build could affect your reputation for quality. It's a choice, of course. I'm sure other makers want their cues to be as accessible as possible. Same with building a cue outright. Some will do whatever taper you want, tip, ferrule, balance point, design, etc. Others will say they will build a cue their way, and the custom aspect is collaborating on the wood or designs, and maybe that means picking how many points, whether you get rings in certain positions, and that's about it. Southwest has built a pretty good reputation through insistence on sticking with what works for them. Custom refers to choices made for the original customer in the build. Not the ease in which different choices can be made after the cue is assembled. So long as a builder makes a cue to the specs you agree to before the build, I'd say they're not obligated to do any more. And of course they can say "I won't build that" if it isn't something they want floating out there to be representative of their work or otherwise something they aren't already set up to produce.