Can someone guide me in the right direction im about to buy a cue

Amel_P

Registered
Alright guys new to the forum here been mostly lurking for a couple months but I think im about to purchase one of these two cues and I would like to hear what you guys think, and if im not making a good choice what I should consider.

Now in my current situation I cannot afford anything beyond the price of these two cues not significantly at least. I am trying to decide between a cuetec r360 and players HXTE20 and I have a couple questions.

-Is the website I found the HXTE20 legit? does anyone have any experience with them?

-From what I know both have a really good tip but is there a big difference between the way the two play?

-Is the HXT shaft any better then the cuetec? I have seen that shaft on ozonebilliards for 100 by itself.

-Is this a good starting place for me do you think? Do you recommend something else in the same price range?

Players HXTE20
http://www.shootersbilliards.com/Players-Pool-Cue-HXTE20.html

Cuetec r360
http://www.ozonebilliards.com/cur3cue13.html

Am I making the right choice? I am mostly a beginner player still and have been just playing with house and bar cues and I want something decent I am getting serious about pool and I love it and id like to start somewhere but at my current level I don't think I can get something in the 300 range that others have pointed me in.

If this is not the right place to ask the question im sorry and can you tell me where to ask.

Billyard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This same comparison has been done before.. do a search for the cue name and you will find several threads.

Good Luck.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alright guys new to the forum here been mostly lurking for a couple months but I think im about to purchase one of these two cues and I would like to hear what you guys think, and if im not making a good choice what I should consider.

Now in my current situation I cannot afford anything beyond the price of these two cues not significantly at least. I am trying to decide between a cuetec r360 and players HXTE20 and I have a couple questions.

-Is the website I found the HXTE20 legit? does anyone have any experience with them?

-From what I know both have a really good tip but is there a big difference between the way the two play?

-Is the HXT shaft any better then the cuetec? I have seen that shaft on ozonebilliards for 100 by itself.

-Is this a good starting place for me do you think? Do you recommend something else in the same price range?

Players HXTE20

Cuetec r360

Am I making the right choice? I am mostly a beginner player still and have been just playing with house and bar cues and I want something decent I am getting serious about pool and I love it and id like to start somewhere but at my current level I don't think I can get something in the 300 range that others have pointed me in.

If this is not the right place to ask the question im sorry and can you tell me where to ask.

They are both very good cues, and realistically if you don't care about the fancy priced cues to show off to friends and onlookers, both can be the last cues you ever need to buy. I have played with a few full Players HXT cues as well as several of the HXT shafts on different cues and liked them all. I have a 12.5mm (custom diameter from Seyberts) on my main cue, which is a $1,000 custom cue, and my son has an HXT 11.75mm cue on his custom cue. Great feedback from both shafts, and as you pointed out, the tips they use as standard are excellent.

Have never tried the new cuetec shafts and cues, but many here seem to like it.

I like the look of the Players better than the cuetec, and I know the Players shaft and Kamui Soft tip on it are great. I'd pick that shaft over any Predator, OB, etc... to use regardless of the price.

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Players HXTE20

Cuetec r360

The players cue is the better of the two. My GF just bought one and I played around with it. Great hit for a low end production cue.

Amel_P

Registered
They are both very good cues, and realistically if you don't care about the fancy priced cues to show off to friends and onlookers, both can be the last cues you ever need to buy. I have played with a few full Players HXT cues as well as several of the HXT shafts on different cues and liked them all. I have a 12.5mm (custom diameter from Seyberts) on my main cue, which is a $1,000 custom cue, and my son has an HXT 11.75mm cue on his custom cue. Great feedback from both shafts, and as you pointed out, the tips they use as standard are excellent.

Have never tried the new cuetec shafts and cues, but many here seem to like it.

I like the look of the Players better than the cuetec, and I know the Players shaft and Kamui Soft tip on it are great. I'd pick that shaft over any Predator, OB, etc... to use regardless of the price.

I have to ask since one of the things I forgot to ask was about the diameter, I played with one cue that had a skinnier diameter and I really liked it however I didn't get to play with it for long to really judge but it seemed to fit me better, but I don't know much about this aspect of a cue and what do I need to know, is there any pros and cons to using a skinnier shaft especially for a beginner I definitely felt like my shots were more accurate with the smaller diameter but unfortunately I did not have enough time with it to know if it was all in my head. Now Im not completely new to the game I can definitely run a rack in 8 ball here and there but im still working on the consistency and not loosing it completely when I fall into a slump.

Thanks guys and yeah I did also ask on r/billiards, I wanted to get as many opinions as I could because I definitely wanted to choose with as much info because I decided to go ahead and spend the money and treat myself to a decent cue and I want to know exactly why im choosing one over the other.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Your choices are a crap shoot, pick either one, both will get you started, and both will play better than most of us could play with Willie Mosconi Personal Cue. This the Indian that has the SKILL, not the Bow & Arrow.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My suggestion is to find a used one, the cost savings could be huge.

Try to play with both of them before you make your decision.

I wish you the best of rolls,

Ken

Nullus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure where you live, but the NAPA Nationals are coming up in Atlanta in early June. There will be several vendors there and it may give you a chance to try out both cues as well as others in the same price range. Folks will be selling used cues in that price range as well. If you can wait a little over a month and make it to the Atlanta area, it would allow you to make a choice based on personal feel instead of advice. Just an fyi for you to think about.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I really don't know if these days this is a good comparison hehe
"I'm a Meucci lover...and I'd say the quality of this cue is right up there with a Meucci."

If the shaft on the cue is not an HXT it will play totally different, the HXT shafts are low deflection, I have not liked the standard Players (or any low end cue for that matter that I tried) shafts, but really like the HXT shafts.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really don't know if these days this is a good comparison hehe
"I'm a Meucci lover...and I'd say the quality of this cue is right up there with a Meucci."

If the shaft on the cue is not an HXT it will play totally different, the HXT shafts are low deflection, I have not liked the standard Players (or any low end cue for that matter that I tried) shafts, but really like the HXT shafts.

:D

Oh...but some people say it's the Indian and not the arrow.:thumbup:

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good idea....

Whatever you choose, buy it from me. PM me if you would like to do so.

:thumbup:

And this is what I was wanting to say. Buy from a dealer that is a member on AZBilliards for your best price.

All members of AZBilliards get a special discount.:thumbup:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd also choose the Players, and don't be afraid of the smaller diameter tip. I love my 11.75" OB.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pay 20 bucks more and buy it local. A cue bought at a pool room is never damaged, warped, lost, not shipped, stolen or any of the other of 100 negative things that seem to happen all too often between the time you pay for it and the time you receive it. The guy behind the counter rarely retires, suffers a Heart Attack, Stroke, Cancer, Dandruff, Sickle Cell, Beriberi, Crotch Rot or anything else in that time either. See it, examine it, roll shaft and butt and if it's good- take it home.

If i ever was to buy a cue through the mail etc, it would be those $ value of cues though.

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My suggestion is to find a used one, the cost savings could be huge.

Try to play with both of them before you make your decision.

I wish you the best of rolls,

Ken

Agreed. ...buy a nice used one. Generally, 1/2 to 3/4 the price of new. Preferably from someone face to face. Several reasons for this, but the number one is you can play with it. See how it feels to you. Does it have a bad vibration or "ring" to it. Do you like the tip? Does the weight and ballance feel good to you.

The shaft should be free of nicks and dings in the stroke area. Nothing is more distracting
then feeling that dent on every shot. Dents outside of stroke area are generally acceptable, as long as they are not extreme. All cues will get their little battle scars, so those dents in the forearm or butt section can be used as a bargaining chip.

If you feel you need to upgrade later, you can buy a performance shaft for it. A cue I haven't seen mentioned is a Viking. They make good sticks. Some would argue they make the best traditional shafts on the market. I love my predator, but I still have a place in my case for my Viking. Find a good used Viking and you will NOT be disappointed.

Last edited: