Can you play decent pool using both your right and left hands?

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Presently cant play left handed
But started to work on it
I think its an advantage if you can do it
I am having a senior moment
Who was the pro who switched from right to left and now plays pro speed left handed
I think he still breaks right handed
Is that correct?
While not an answer to your question but noteworthy is Ronnie O'Sullivan. He breaks off left handed. He also claims the left is capable of a maximum. He switches so seamlessly that it often goes uncommented. Efren also switches and I have never seen him miss with his left. 🤷‍♂️

WobblyStroke

I’m still trying to learn how to play right handed. My Fargo is about 630 so until I learn to play right handed there’s not much point in trying to do it left handed.

When I was younger and played softball I could bat left or right handed. Had just a shade more power right handed but hit the ball just as good left as right.
Either that fargo is a typo or ur the type of guy that only plays $1000/set cuz hes 'just learning'. By 630, ur physical side of the game should be the stuff of dreams for anyone SL6 and below. Certainly good enough to try out lefty given that SL4s can get 'equally good' (read equally shite) with both.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The guys I used to play golf with years ago would have one day every month where we would only take a 5-iron and putter for all 18. It really got you thinking. I've never tried shooting off-hand but there is probably something to it.
Used to know a guy who should have been on the tour but he liked partyin' too much. On an average muni course he could break 75 with a 5i/putter most anytime he wanted. He shot 58 at my old home city course. Sick.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even though the post if a few years old, my son taught himself to play lefty and is a 630 Fargo with either hand. He is cross eye dominant so swapping made the alignment better for him.

2018, 2019 right hand

20180819_112655.jpg

20190331_131333.jpg

2020 + left hand

IMG_20230413_172450751.jpg

IMG_20210619_195144128.jpg

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I never got much better than terrible left handed. One thing, the few shots on a nine foot table that can't be reached easily right handed are usually very simple left handed shots. Fifty pounds ago shooting behind my back was fairly easy and I very very rarely missed these shots.

A couple things to work around shooting left handed now that I don't bend as well with a few disks fused, I just bridge normally but bring my grip hand across the front of my body. The stick is in the same position as a left handed shot but the stroke is with the right hand.

Something else that works is to bend across the table from the other side, put the bridge hand and grip over my head and shoot. Sounds far more awkward than it is. Both eyes are working and again it is rare to miss.

I am not huge at 6'-2" but there isn't much of a table I can't reach right handed. A six inch extension would reduce that even more. However I have found these unconventional shots to work fine.

Keith was shooting a match, semi or final, with Efren. Match ball he swapped hands so effortlessly that few noticed it. I forget what it was, a televised match and it was on youtube the last I knew.

Hu

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I never got much better than terrible left handed. One thing, the few shots on a nine foot table that can't be reached easily right handed are usually very simple left handed shots. Fifty pounds ago shooting behind my back was fairly easy and I very very rarely missed these shots.

A couple things to work around shooting left handed now that I don't bend as well with a few disks fused, I just bridge normally but bring my grip hand across the front of my body. The stick is in the same position as a left handed shot but the stroke is with the right hand.

Something else that works is to bend across the table from the other side, put the bridge hand and grip over my head and shoot. Sounds far more awkward than it is. Both eyes are working and again it is rare to miss.

I am not huge at 6'-2" but there isn't much of a table I can't reach right handed. A six inch extension would reduce that even more. However I have found these unconventional shots to work fine.

Keith was shooting a match, semi or final, with Efren. Match ball he swapped hands so effortlessly that few noticed it. I forget what it was, a televised match and it was on youtube the last I knew.

Hu
Keith was a run-out player left handed, maybe only the seven ball speed under his right handed play. Sigel could switch hands and run-out too (left to right). Buddy played good with either hand. A big advantage for them!

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Either that fargo is a typo or ur the type of guy that only plays $1000/set cuz hes 'just learning'. By 630, ur physical side of the game should be the stuff of dreams for anyone SL6 and below. Certainly good enough to try out lefty given that SL4s can get 'equally good' (read equally shite) with both.
It’s not a typo at all and I don’t even gamble I play because I like to play. Anyone who thinks that someone with a 630 Fargo doesn’t have a lot of room for improvement is drastically wrong.

I can make simple shots left handed I just don’t have the desire to try and improve that aspect of my game.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Perhaps I overlooked it but I have seen no discussion of the left and right brain.
a quick search said:
What is the difference between right and left brain?
The thought behind this is that one side is stronger than the other, but that's not the case. Instead, each side is more or less responsible for certain roles or areas of focus. For example, the left side is generally responsible for logic and language, while the right is responsible for creativity and intuition.
Further research said:
The right side of the brain controls the left side of the body and vice versa.
So it's no surprise that I find my right hand play to be calculated. A by the numbers kind of thinking. When shooting left handed its more by feel. I have found that Lefty hits banks and combinations better than The Right. 🤷‍♂️

Flakeandrun

Kind of funny that I jumped to the current conversation to find that my experience is similar and I inadvertently answered your questions.
Really surprised by which shots it makes easier, or makes feel easier Vs. The shots my brain tells me to switch hands for.
I wouldn't have discovered some shots I prefer If I didn't play Left Vs Right games.
Straighter shots (frozen or near stuck) along the rail are made for my left hand. Who'd have thought?

Flakeandrun

While not an answer to your question but noteworthy is Ronnie O'Sullivan. He breaks off left handed. He also claims the left is capable of a maximum. He switches so seamlessly that it often goes uncommented. Efren also switches and I have never seen him miss with his left. 🤷‍♂️
I have no doubt in my mind that Ronnie could hit a 147 left-handed. That man is graced by the Gods (or made a deal with some demons... take your pick :ROFLMAO:)

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
I have no doubt in my mind that Ronnie could hit a 147 left-handed. That man is graced by the Gods (or made a deal with some demons... take your pick :ROFLMAO:)
Well he has battled demons at times.
There are so many times he has put perfection on display. Then there was the time he gave Robideux a wedgie with his left hand. Boy were his panties bunched. 🤷‍♂️

Flakeandrun

Well he has battled demons at times.
There are so many times he has put perfection on display. Then there was the time he gave Robideux a wedgie with his left hand. Boy were his panties bunched. 🤷‍♂️
I often feel like sticking a towel on my head... Ronnie's life isn't exactly an 'ordinary' one lol

Robideaux just didn't cut the mustard of that time. Is it an insult to his skill? Or could he just play better? ... Was scared of the 'Next Gen' - My dad has some great stories about this era in snooker.

WobblyStroke

It’s not a typo at all and I don’t even gamble I play because I like to play. Anyone who thinks that someone with a 630 Fargo doesn’t have a lot of room for improvement is drastically wrong.

I can make simple shots left handed I just don’t have the desire to try and improve that aspect of my game.
ye but to say u still have to learn how to play with ur dominant hand is quite a stretch. A 630 in pool is like a 3 hcp in golf. sure they have room for improvement, but these are very good players far better than where most ppl ever get to.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbb