Carbon Fiber shafts (opinion)

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Change for Filler?

If I was Filler I would keep using the shaft he has and have a dozen more just like it made. What ever shaft he is using works near perfect for him.

Dang, how much better could another shaft make him? He gets any better no one will ever beat him in 9 Ball, maybe even 10 Ball. Guy is crazy good.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I was Filler I would keep using the shaft he has and have a dozen more just like it made. What ever shaft he is using works near perfect for him.

Dang, how much better could another shaft make him? He gets any better no one will ever beat him in 9 Ball, maybe even 10 Ball. Guy is crazy good.
Whatever shafts Filler or SVB or any other great champions play with work for them first of all because of who they are, where they are and what price they did pay for getting there. So many around wish to be there without paying the real price those great champions had paid.
Guess who out there knows this so good!;)

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am getting back into pool, and I finally purchased an older diamond table (9 footer - it plays great, by the way... LOL...). So, playing will be much easier now - for me.

I know there have been threads about CF shafts, but I specifically wanted some opinions on the Jacoby, Pechauer, and some of the others. Dr Dave's video was super helpful, but the Jacoby version was not included (I am guessing it wasn't out then? I have been out of pool for a long time, so I could be wrong).

As far as finish and playability, which do you prefer and why? I have a Black Boar, custom Pechauers, a super nice custom Jacoby and several others.

I have never had a chance to play with one, but I have LD wood shafts from all the makers I mentioned (minus the Black Boar). So, do you really see a difference in deflection, playability, etc. I do not care about sound. Sound doesn't matter to me at all.

My concern is where to purchase these at for a good price, and which one to really focus on and why? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

If you truly don't care about anything but playability, revo is for you.

Why revo? Revo is lower in deflection than bcue, Jacoby black, mezz, go custom, cuetec etc...etc

Again, if deflection is main focus revo is the best option.

As far as finish, there are a few that are equal to revo but, most of them are below revo in finish.

If a white ferrule-like site is preferred, I would order a revo custom.

As for price, the more sought after, the more it will cost and the longer the wait. All shafts and cues are that way....the best stuff is always harder the cost is usually online as well.

Jeff

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
...but I specifically wanted some opinions on the Jacoby, Pechauer, and some of the others.

As far as finish and playability, which do you prefer and why?

So, do you really see a difference in deflection, playability, etc. I do not care about sound. Sound doesn't matter to me at all.

My concern is where to purchase these at for a good price, and which one to really focus on and why? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I tried quite a few of them. They all seemed great in terms of finish and playability, had no issues there. There really was a difference in deflection against some of the wood LD shafts which required a little time to get used to.

That said I went back to the Revo 12.4 as I liked it the best. It does make an awful ping sometimes though. I don't like the white ferrule on the other shafts, but I do like their taper more than the Revo. The Cuetech was probably the nicest but that jarring white ring on the tip of the shaft just annoyed me.

In the end I chose to return Revo for now and keep shooting with my OB not due to any flaw, just that it's $650 for a 29" shaft. If I'm going to put down that much cash I want 30" and no nickel-and-diming me on my tip choice.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played with a few CF shafts. Revo, Cuetec, Meucci and tried a friends Jacoby. I have not tried a Mezz, becue or JP.

I finally settled on the Cuetec and tried several tips. I sincerely love it. I’m on my 3rd Cynergy shaft. Which is my fault. I keep changing butts which makes me buy a new one.

Which ever in you settle on. Commit to it and don’t be scared to experiment on tips. I finally settled back on a tip I loved on my Mezz cues. I never cared for the sniper tip on the Cynergy.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've tried them all and decided to keep 3. First and foremost the Revo is still the best out of any of them especially if the sound isn't an issue for you. The Revo is my main shooter, 12.4 version. I also kept the Meucci CF pro in 30" 11.75mm and the Pechauer Rogue 11.75mm. All the rest I had issues with but id give an honorable mention to the Becue as well.

Try the Meucci 12.4 and probably you’ll switch it with revo ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I appreciate the feedback. Really, I do.

I believe the most important thing with shafts is to find one
you like and use it on all your cues. Don't switch back to
other shafts. I probably will take grief but love the meucci black dot.
Have it on 4 meucci butts and love the way it hits and yes been predator,
pechauer, and ob.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Try the Meucci 12.4 and probably you’ll switch it with revo ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the no ferrule and all black best so I doubt anything will beat the Revo for me. Hoping the 11.8 Revo comes out.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the no ferrule and all black best so I doubt anything will beat the Revo for me. Hoping the 11.8 Revo comes out.

The OP made it clear he was interested in performance and nothing else.

I just love it when someone asks a question about low deflection and people start spewing out:

Visual aids (white ferrules)
This taper vs that taper
Feel..................................:rotflmao1:
Sound.................:rotflmao1:

....and then go on to minimize the difference between the deflection rates between cues or skip it entirely.

Jeff>>>>>>>:confused:

Edit:
BTW, predator is suppose to come out with the 11.8 mm in the first quarter of 2020.

I've got high hopes for it. Especially if they give the custom options.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

I just love it when someone asks a question about low deflection and people start spewing out:

This taper vs that taper

....and then go on to minimize the difference between the deflection rates between cues or skip it entirely.

Edit:
BTW, predator is suppose to come out with the 11.8 mm in the first quarter of 2020.

How much reduced deflection do you really want ?
Why end there?
Why not go down to 11mm ?

A 12.5 mm bored front is lightweight enough .

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How much reduced deflection do you really want ?
Why end there?
Why not go down to 11mm ?

A 12.5 mm bored front is lightweight enough .

If possible, I think I would like 0 deflection. I don't believe that's possible but, I would like to try it if it's ever offered.

Diameter and deflection isn't always a 1:1 ratio. As you know, it's the front end weight...not size. Which is why the revo 12.9 mm is lower than the 12.4 mm.

Regardless of deflection, I prefer a shaft that 12 mm. If 11.8 mm is as close as I can get in the particular shaft that meets my performance specs...well, 11.8 mm it will be. If they ever offer a 12 mm, I'll be all over it.

For now though, the revo 12.4 is as close to my "perfect" shaft that's available....one can only hope..

As for diameter in general, I know several people that use a 10 mm to 11 mm to play pool and snooker and do very well at both.

Jeff

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watched Corey play with Meucci CF shaft. He played the worst ive ever seen him play. He was playing Fedor and he looked bewildered.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
I have the Pechauer Rogue in 11.8mm, but I've never tried a Pechauer wood LD shaft, so I can't compare it to that. I can compare it directly to the Z-3 I had on it before I got the Rogue, and it's just about identical to that in terms of deflection. Hit is super consistent, and somewhere in the medium part of the firm/soft spectrum. I like a somewhat firmer hit, so when it's time to change the tip I'm gonna put something a little harder on it.

BryanB

Huge Balls
Silver Member
I have tried the Revo, Jacoby and Cuetec. Like other have said, I like the smooth finish but all of them deflect more than my wood shaft frok Doug Patrick. Sky Woodward has also said that Doug makes the best LD shaft. A
If you shoot easy, I believe you can use just about any shaft and get the same CB action. Once you start shooting harder is when the LD and carbon shafts make a difference. I cannot and will not spend $400-500 on a carbon shaft that does not perform as well as the wood.

Before OB cues went through their restructuring, I was supposed to be sent one of their new carbon shafts but new management has so far not honored past promises.

poolscholar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best is 12.9 Revo, maximum forgiveness with lowest deflection of any of the carbon fiber shafts (I came from playing with a very thin Z shaft). Make sure you have a good hard tip and a radial joint.

For what it's worth I'm a good player not some random banger ;)

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
If possible, I think I would like 0 deflection. I don't believe that's possible but, I would like to try it if it's ever offered.

Diameter and deflection isn't always a 1:1 ratio. As you know, it's the front end weight...not size. Which is why the revo 12.9 mm is lower than the 12.4 mm.

Regardless of deflection, I prefer a shaft that 12 mm. If 11.8 mm is as close as I can get in the particular shaft that meets my performance specs...well, 11.8 mm it will be. If they ever offer a 12 mm, I'll be all over it.

For now though, the revo 12.4 is as close to my "perfect" shaft that's available....one can only hope..

As for diameter in general, I know several people that use a 10 mm to 11 mm to play pool and snooker and do very well at both.

Jeff
The McDermott Defy is offered in 12mm. Have you had a chance to hit that one?

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member

This taper vs that taper

Edit:

I know he wasn't asking about that stuff. I had a previous response in the thread and someone suggested something to me so I answered.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know he wasn't asking about that stuff. I had a previous response in the thread and someone suggested something to me so I answered.

Oh, I know. I was talking about others that do that. Not you. You've always gave the answers the Op was asking when deflection was the concern.

:thumbup:

Jeff