Case - What is your preference

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been looking at all the different cases available today. The selection is sure a ton more than it was back then in the days gone by. Some of them have plastic tubes and some of them have felt lined tubes. I am looking at a nice 3/5 Nick Varner that my dealer is offering a pretty good deal on. It is the same case Nick carries also. It has the plastic tubes with no felt and the shafts go in the back that zips open that has felt to protect them. What is the better case options that don’t cost a fortune and what is the preference on plastic or felt lined. I normally go with a 2/4 but I can get the 3/5 for a better deal.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been using a $30 case from J&J Billiards over the last 12 years. I don't see any (ANY) reason to need more.
{At least it was $30 when I bought it.....}

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I had a el'cheapy plastic tube case for eons... Used it to carry my el'cheapy cues. I then decided to invest in some more costly cues (pretty). Bought a felt lined "tube" case to protect them. JB.

Really depends on if you intent is it simple have a convenient means to carry your stuff, or want a case to protect your stuff that doubles as a means to carry it as well...lol

I wouldn't swap out my JB rugged for anything I've seen on the market lately. Even if it were free...

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
JB Rugged and never look back. Buy a 3x6 or 4x8 with the backpack straps and you won't be sorry.

He probably has some on his site for immediate sale.

Last time I called him on a Saturday evening to verify case and it was shipped out Monday morning.

Best customer service also.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Also, you can order just the case without the straps for storage and just grab straps off another one if you want to take those cues that day.

I have 2 4x8s already and the next ones I order will probably be just for storage so i may not get the straps for those to save $$$, plus they are easier to store without the straps being in the way

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Just looked at his site and not a single Rugged in stock. Not sure how long it takes or who else has them for sale, but its a good place to look to compare prices if nothing else.

Don't fall for the imitators, they are not the same quality.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like my soft case best. I can put 3b/5s in it and I never subject my cues to anything they need protection from (except my own game, of course).
I do have hard cases but they rarely leave the house.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
I like Gil Castillo of castillo leather goods! I have several of his cases.....

Kd

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Everyone has their preference, I currently use a 1 X 2 GTF, best Case in ever had was JBCases 2 x4 Masonite, was perfect. Sorry I sold it.

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just looked at his site and not a single Rugged in stock. Not sure how long it takes or who else has them for sale, but its a good place to look to compare prices if nothing else.

It’s about 8 weeks, Seyberts has some though.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Everyone has their preference, I currently use a 1 X 2 GTF, best Case in ever had was JBCases 2 x4 Masonite, was perfect. Sorry I sold it.
I bought 3 of those 1x2 GTFs about the same time as you. Like those also but I always carry more cues.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm currently using a J&J 2/4 with springs in the tube bottoms. Great case so far. Had it 10yrs and its still like new. About a$175-180 new.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?

Because JB does so much custom cases the web site is mostly showing the possibilities. Just give them a call to find out what they have in stock if you want something now. If you can wait he will make it any way you want.
I have a 4x8 butterfly and love it for all my crap. I plan on getting a 2x3 Rugged soon for when I’m just hanging at the bar.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seyberts always has a few JB cases in stock in basic styles(least expensive):

The JB 3x4 case(3 butts, 4 shafts) can also be used as a 2x5 case(two butts, 5 shafts). JB has hundreds of videos about his cases on youtube. Here's one on how to load his 3x4/2x5 case:

The JB cases at Seyberts come with one strap on the back of the case. If you want a backpack setup with two straps, you can buy an accessory strap at Seyberts when you order your case. JB cases also makes a dedicated backstrap case. Here's what they look like:

Here's what JB has to say about the difference between adding a strap and a dedicated backpack setup: https://jbcases.com/strap.html

He also has many videos where he shows what the insides of his competitor's cases look like and why they suck.

Something not mentioned at Seyberts is that JB cases come with a velour bag that covers the entire case (I'm not sure what the purpose of that is?), as well as a jump cue sleeve (to make one of the slots shorter) (in addition to the jump handle compartment in the lower pocket), and a lifetime warranty.

JB Cases on the best way to protect cues: http://www.jbcases.com/protection.html, and of course a video about their interior:

Seyberts ships same day if you order before 1PM Eastern, and at the bottom of the following page is how many days it will take to arrive: https://www.seyberts.com/shipping

Last edited:

NorthernArbiter

Registered
You will eventually want a big case. Save up, buy quality once.

The JB 4 butt 8 shaft rugged cases are awesome. Soft interiors protect your cues and carbon shafts. I see they go for $240USD.

Seybert's has them in stock. They are great to deal with online, and if you set up an account, you can collect cash back that they call Seybert's Bucks.