Celebrity pool player for USO tour?

JamisonNeu

Mr. Masse
Silver Member
I just wondered if anyone here on AZbilliards wanted to see if one of their celebrity friends would like to do a USO tour playing pool with the troops?

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a great idea! Talk about good press. Lets see if any of A America's pros will walk the walk and sacrifice a little.Funny thing is, Effren would probably do it.

KCRack'em

I'm not argumentative!!!!
Silver Member
and...

What would it take to get some tables donated to ship to some of the FOBs? Last time I deployed, I was able to play, but the table was less than desirable.
Karl

JamisonNeu

Mr. Masse
Silver Member
It will be held stateside. This is not a huge USO tour event...It is a handshake tour. However the first poster brought something to my attention. I am trying to find a celebrity that play pool not pool player celebrity's.

My dreams are that someday after the pool events become a part of the USO, I'll try my hardest to promote the players I think are stars...However this first run is about showing the troops how fun pool can be, and providing them with a night to remember for the rest of their lives. Imagine playing pool on a team with one of your favorite TV stars when you are 18, and about to got to war.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It will be held stateside. This is not a huge USO tour event...It is a handshake tour. However the first poster brought something to my attention. I am trying to find a celebrity that play pool not pool player celebrity's.

My dreams are that someday after the pool events become a part of the USO, I'll try my hardest to promote the players I think are stars...However this first run is about showing the troops how fun pool can be, and providing them with a night to remember for the rest of their lives. Imagine playing pool on a team with one of your favorite TV stars when you are 18, and about to got to war.

I think this type of "showing" would be more to showcase the "celebrity" and not the game of "pool". The troops would be distracted by the celebrity's image (from movies, music, sports, etc.) and pool would be just a background...not the reason for the event.

I say this as a person who has attended NUMEROUS USO events and who is also a pool player. I remember (but didn't have a chance to attend) when Willie Mosconi put on an exhibition at Lackland AFB, TX in 1973 and always wished I could have seen him. I did get the chance to see and play Jack White in 1973 in the Recreation Center at Keesler AFB in Biloxi, MS and that was far more entertaining to me than it would have been to see some "entertainer" trying to play pool. It was supposed to be some sort of "grudge match or challenge" between him and Minnesota Fats, but Fatty didn't show for whatever reason.

I have seen lots of Pro Bowlers going to military installations and giving free clinics, etc...but in almost 40 years, working in and with the military all over the world, I've only witnessed a couple pool pros doing it.

JamisonNeu

Mr. Masse
Silver Member
I hope that pool gets a little exposure. The format I would like to do is like musical chairs, the troops just move through, and the celebrity's play on a team with them. They play a game, or two then the next soldier gets to come through to meet the celebrity one on one via pool. It is not going to be a trick shot show or a show about pool, no.

But lets not forget how little our sport get's respected. There was just a thread a couple days ago written by Fatboy2 where he clearly pointed out the press calling us names... I think this event has the merit needed to show the world that our sport can be helpful, and pure of heart not just a "Ponzi schemer."

In order for the USO to gain pentagon clearance for a "pool" event we need to bring in a celebrity. (have to have it) I am sorry I am not entirely in charge. Their is a huge chain of command. I am just a smallest guy involved, and my part of it is to find the pool playing star that wants to help. The one that will get pool the respect it deserves. Hopefully someday I will be putting on a USO tour that include our favorite celebrity's. But today is just not that day.

For now my friend it is baby steps...However don't you think for one second I don't want to see this blossom into a long lasting relationship between the USO, and cue sports. I hope that we are called upon to honor out troops for years, and years.

I just need to prove that our sport has what they want. You can not blame them for being skeptical about our sport? When the event is a huge success then we will get what you are after my friend. It has been discussed they just think (and I agree) that for the time being the thing to do is to get a few big named celebrity's that all the troops will know. Then if it is a great success and I have no doubt that they will trust me to get the right people inside of our industry. Give it time we share the same vision, but please support this event as I would hope in my soul that anyone that loves our sport would see this as a good thing for pool.

JamisonNeu

Mr. Masse
Silver Member
Morning time bump. I hope you guys understand me bumping this thread. I think with the open going this site is getting much less traffic than it would on most other weekends. I'll be back late tonight.

Yukon Ed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been in and around the military community for over 25 yrs. I wouldn't even show up to watch a celebrity dabbling in pool. Jeanette Lee is the best hope we have to promote our sport to a wider audience. Sadly, she drew about thirty fans last year to a nearby base. This was also a USO event. :frown:

JamisonNeu

Mr. Masse
Silver Member
I've been in and around the military community for over 25 yrs. I wouldn't even show up to watch a celebrity dabbling in pool. Jeanette Lee is the best hope we have to promote our sport to a wider audience. Sadly, she drew about thirty fans last year to a nearby base. This was also a USO event. :frown:

They told me they have never done a pool event. "At least not in this century". I mean the VP over there might be wrong in his info...Maybe they just don't remember the event? Anyway what base? You didn't specify in your post.

I was thinking more like Robin Dodson, and Drake Bell doing a tour together? Or Earl, and Joe Rogan after seeing Joe Rogan impersonate Earl that time I know they could get some laughs together in front of almost any crowd. How about Charlie Sheen, and his girls...that would draw a crowd wouldn't it. lol I know he plays 3 cushion billiards, maybe he is too sophisticated to play pocket billiards.

25 years in the Military I salute you sir. Thank you for your life long commitment to our freedoms! Which unit, and branch are you in? I was int he D company 2nd and 505 PIR. Clinton's Army. I was very lucky to have never had to see combat. However, I would have went to the next post over to support any pool related event.

I love this sport, and would gladly swim through a mile full of Parana infested water to promote it, if that is what it took that day. I am just trying to do my part to make positive change. I hope that someday everyone would feel the same way. Then our sport will have some well needed, and overdue respect. I'll be back late tonight.

Last edited:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member

I find it hard to believe that only 30 people showed for JL. If true, they probably didn't promote it very well or ahead of time. JL gets 30 fans walking down the street on a bad hair day. Johnnyt

argonath

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its not surprising the limited participation from military personnel to USO shows today.

When I was in AF back in 94, we had the world record holder in free throw shooting come by the gym for two days, and hold challenges, prizes etc... if you could tie or beat him in 10 shots.

I stopped by the gym one of the days after work, and there he was... shooting by himself. I challenged him and made 9 out of 10... he missed one of purpose Im sure and we tied at 9/10.

But in that time... I was the only person who talked with him, shot with him, or even seemed to care.

wahoo bob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good luck Jamison, if only there was another Jackie Gleason. Maybe Tom Cruise would volunteer. You know Jamison, you put on a pretty good show, you got my vote. Bob
Sorry I missed you and Jamie in July.

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok Neu this the story and i"m stickin to it. Contact Wayne Newton {maybe Fatboy2 can handle that part} as Wayne took over for Bob Hope for USO show. Or contact Stateside Military Bases - Morale, Welfare, and Recreation ( MWR). Bases Recreation Centers or Clubs. Local Billiards Suppliers for the Bases can help you there..