Center Ball

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can make shot #1# which is straight - in with center ball - 1 tip of right or left - cb quarter english right or left. I can't "replace" the ob with english.

Shot #2 is really tough. I can't make it come straight back to the pocket.

My question was not about you knowing the 27 shots Bert teaches. Ok, you have seen his videos. Good for you !!!!!

I asked you if you can run the "six pointed star" or "nine pointed star" by staying on the vertical axis and not using sidespin.

Yes, I can. But not all variations of it. But, either way, that doesn't prove a thing. I never said to never use english. I did say to keep it to a minimum.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Think I have it.

1 ball on the middle diamond of the upper part of the long rail. 2 ball on the middle diamond of the short rail (counterclockwise). Every other ball from 3-6 on the middle diamond of every rail (always counterclockwise). Ball in hand and run in order.

Everytime you run, you place the 1 ball on the same middle diamond and every other ball moves counterclockwise (always on middle diamonds).
OK, I put the one ball on the side rail at the head string, the 2 middle of head rail, the rest in order around from there. After running those 6 I reset with the one the same, the 6 middle of head rail, the 2 at the headstring and in order around. Wash rinse repeat until I have run 5 laps?

ps611846

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, I put the one ball on the side rail at the head string, the 2 middle of head rail, the rest in order around from there. After running those 6 I reset with the one the same, the 6 middle of head rail, the 2 at the headstring and in order around. Wash rinse repeat until I have run 5 laps?

Yes !!!!!!

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Cool

Yes !!!!!!

Good drill! Much harder staying strictly on the vertical axis. After several attempts I made the first lap without side. Would be a miracle for me to get around all 5 times that way. Good practice though and teaches me exactly what the natural angle is for each shot. I will add this to my practice regimen. We will see in a couple of weeks how far I can get using center axis. Thank you.:thumbup::cool:

ps611846

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good drill! Much harder staying strictly on the vertical axis. After several attempts I made the first lap without side. Would be a miracle for me to get around all 5 times that way. Good practice though and teaches me exactly what the natural angle is for each shot. I will add this to my practice regimen. We will see in a couple of weeks how far I can get using center axis. Thank you.:thumbup::cool:

Ok !!!! You're welcome !!!

SeabrookMiglla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
eh i try to stay around center top-middle-bottom more or less. why use spin if you dont need it? just throws in more variables...

although no doubt using english, especially a lot of it- is a learned skill, which is really useful.

my default stroke tells me to work more from center ball, and go from there to figure out the shot. although when im in the heat i typically go with my gut instinct.

here is my opinion, from a far from perfect player:
my body subconsciously puts itself into the position its comfortable with when i start getting in a groove. at that point im not really thinking about where my tip is, im more or less just focusing on my stroking pendelum motion.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry for starting an argument with this bump...

It is clear that when you watch pros play, they rarely hit exactly on center axis, let alone on the precise center of the ball. The player creates a lot of pointless work for himself by sticking to center axis when using left or right would get him where he needs to be more easily.

That said just two practice sessions of playing close to center axis has been very helpful for my game personally on a few levels:
- Grooving my stroke. You can't make the ball if you are aimed correctly and hit center ball with a crooked stroke. A wrist twist or inadvertent English application is unlikely to result in a positive outcome. I felt my stroke getting straighter as I was forced to deliver the cue ball down the line every time.
- Understanding what happens to the cue ball on center axis. A few hours of consistently using the same type of contact has given me more information about this basic shot than I have gotten perhaps ever.
- Pocketing more balls. It is easier to make shots when you aren't swerving, deflecting and throwing balls all over the place.
- Embracing simplicity. A solid stroke with good aim, sufficient speed and a center axis hit is the simplest way to pocket an object ball. This is the opposite of how I learned to play the game (spinning everything, often unconsciously) and I know it will reap benefits in game situations.
- Creating a reference point for when you do use English. I played a few racks as game simulations afterward and found using left or right spin much more productive after having internalized center axis as the reference point, both for aiming and for creating action on the cue ball.

I agree 100% with all of those who think using center ball only (or even center ball mostly) is not how you become a good player. However using center axis has been a great practice tool for understanding my stroke and getting back to basics.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
The whole statement "pros play mostly center ball" is a complete fallacy. What does that actually mean, anyway? Literally it means that they play less than 50% of their shots with spin. That may or may not be true (I lean toward "not" but it depends on the pro). Lets for arguments sake say that it is true, what does this really prove? Some shots need to be shot with english. That may be the one shot you need to run out. Other shots simplify the runout if you shoot it with english, even if it could be shot without. Should you then shy away from the "english alternatative"? THat seems to be what is suggested. To me that depends entirely on the shot, and is not a simple, general answer. So the advice extracted would be "shoot only the exact shots that need english with english". Gee, that's great. How about "shoot every shot perfectly". That's equally helpful, IMO.

Here is what I think: Running out in pool is easier if you think in terms of "lines" than in terms of exact spots (though you may pick a spot on a line as your ideal stopping point). English makes more lines available to you from certain positions, while center ball will have you crossing your line, making more precise speed control necessary. Speed control is THE hardest thing to master in pool. So my advice would be "Choose an ideal line, then choose the english (or vertical center striking) necessary to follow that line." Very often the ideal lines will have you go diagonally through the center of the table. English is often necessary to follow those lines, while center ball will often have the cueball go straight up and down or straight across, especially with object balls on- or near the rail. This is such basic knowledge that it's almost embarrassing to type it out. Learn to play all shots. Then you can run out the hard racks, as well as the easy ones. Play the ideal lines as much as possible, regardless of english required, but use common sense.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The whole statement "pros play mostly center ball" is a complete fallacy. What does that actually mean, anyway? Literally it means that they play less than 50% of their shots with spin. That may or may not be true (I lean toward "not" but it depends on the pro). Lets for arguments sake say that it is true, what does this really prove? Some shots need to be shot with english. That may be the one shot you need to run out. Other shots simplify the runout if you shoot it with english, even if it could be shot without. Should you then shy away from the "english alternatative"? THat seems to be what is suggested. To me that depends entirely on the shot, and is not a simple, general answer. So the advice extracted would be "shoot only the exact shots that need english with english". Gee, that's great. How about "shoot every shot perfectly". That's equally helpful, IMO.

Here is what I think: Running out in pool is easier if you think in terms of "lines" than in terms of exact spots (though you may pick a spot on a line as your ideal stopping point). English makes more lines available to you from certain positions, while center ball will have you crossing your line, making more precise speed control necessary. Speed control is THE hardest thing to master in pool. So my advice would be "Choose an ideal line, then choose the english (or vertical center striking) necessary to follow that line." Very often the ideal lines will have you go diagonally through the center of the table. English is often necessary to follow those lines, while center ball will often have the cueball go straight up and down or straight across, especially with object balls on- or near the rail. This is such basic knowledge that it's almost embarrassing to type it out. Learn to play all shots. Then you can run out the hard racks, as well as the easy ones. Play the ideal lines as much as possible, regardless of english required, but use common sense.
great advice

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You shoot the shot that will allow for position on the next ball with "whatever it takes" to get there.

If you can play position in the first place, your cue ball should wind up in an angle that will allow you to shoot the shot and get to the next shot with the least amount of spin on the cue ball.

Some people just like to spin the ball on every shot because it looks "cool".

There is usually more than one way to shoot a shot and get the same position. Pick the one that you do best and have the most confidence it.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
You shoot the shot that will allow for position on the next ball with "whatever it takes" to get there.

If you can play position in the first place, your cue ball should wind up in an angle that will allow you to shoot the shot and get to the next shot with the least amount of spin on the cue ball.

Some people just like to spin the ball on every shot because it looks "cool".

There is usually more than one way to shoot a shot and get the same position. Pick the one that you do best and have the most confidence it.

It's a fun topic to discuss. Having played a little on Diamonds lately, I find that it is easy to just spin the ball with little speed to get anywhere on the table. I can play ideal lines and it's "easy" to run out, contrary to what some on here keep saying, I don't think these are difficult tables at all, with the standard pro cut pockets. The fast and nice cushions simplify the game a lot, because you need very little power in your stroke to get around. You apply 1 tip of spin and you get a reliable amount of travel and angle off the cushions, unlike a beaten up, old GC where all the cushions could very well be different because of neglect, and you never know exactly what the cushion is going to do. The pros play under these perfect conditions all the time in tournaments. I have voiced my displeasure with the fast cushion trend in the past, but it does make the game easier (when it's well done), which for some make it more enjoyable. I guess it's a matter of opinion wether making the game easier is a good thing or not.

If I'm playing on a very slow, tough table with old worn out balls and unreliable cushions, I like to punch the ball more, using TOI or center and sometimes settle for less than ideal position. If the table is old and slow, but the cushions are still responsive, then you can really stroke the ball with some spin. It's very difficult to give good, general advice on these matters, when you know people are playing on- and with- wildly different equipment, but the equipment the pros are using have been fairly uniform in the Diamond era, which I would imagine could contribute to even more confidence with sidespin, when it's needed. They are using brand new ballsets as well, which also give a uniform reaction, unlike some of us, who have to endure beaten to c---p old sets that look like they've been through at least 2 wars and a messy divorce. You simply cannot slow spin with inside with the sets at my poolhall at the moment. The cueball keeps grabbing on to the balls imperfections and giving different amounts of throw. In the end you have to ensure the reaction by punching the ball more.

Last edited: