Center Pocket Music, the long-awaited CTE Pro One book, by Stan Shuffett.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the tip. That simple setup is less than a degree off a perfect 30° cut - moving the OB just one ball's width (2 1/4") farther away makes it exact.

Here's one I've posted before showing a simple setup for a half ball spot shot. The exact 30° cut from there hits the left side of the pocket, allowing for some throw.

pj
chgo

View attachment 581873
Yep. I recall this conversation from when Poolology was being discussed. I know the ob should be a tad farther than center spot but for me I get some variability anyway. Some shots hit the pocket facing on the fat side, some go center pocket. Once I get it grooved I'm looking at where the cb ends up.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
After years of back and forth on AZB I think it is safe to say that a short version doesn't get CTE across, much less CTE and Pro One.

I have to respect what Stan was able to do with Landon. He has coached others too, I have no idea who all. I noticed Gerda Hofstedder credited his coaching to kicking her game up after years of second tier performance. Hard to argue that Stan is not the real deal as a coach/instructor. That is enough reason to be curious about what he is teaching.

Hu
Hu,
Stan doesn't like to brag about the professional players that have sought out Stan to tweak their professional skills or to correct some fundamentals that have somehow gotten out of sorts. Now, professional players are seeing the value of CTE and are acknowledging Stan's CTE/Pro One publicly.
Everyone has a right to their opinion but it is small-minded, bigoted people who criticize what they haven't seen or experienced. Stan will be the first one to tell anyone that aiming is only one small part of playing pool at it's highest level. Stan plays pool at a higher level than most any regular poster on AZB. Most open-minded people wait and see before criticizing something they have never seen.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hu,
Stan doesn't like to brag about the professional players that have sought out Stan to tweak their professional skills or to correct some fundamentals that have somehow gotten out of sorts. Now, professional players are seeing the value of CTE and are acknowledging Stan's CTE/Pro One publicly.
Everyone has a right to their opinion but it is small-minded, bigoted people who criticize what they haven't seen or experienced. Stan will be the first one to tell anyone that aiming is only one small part of playing pool at it's highest level. Stan plays pool at a higher level than most any regular poster on AZB. Most open-minded people wait and see before criticizing something they have never seen.
It has already been established among logical thinkers that what Stan says is happening cannot be so -- and all of us have tried to use CTE enough to understand that. It isn't like we just don't get it because we haven't tried CTE enough. The only possibility is that in the book Stan either stops saying that all shots can be made objectively without "user input" or he modifies his position on that.

Put another way 2+2 will never equal 5 no matter how you present it or how good you are at math.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It has already been established among logical thinkers that what Stan says is happening cannot be so -- and all of us have tried to use CTE enough to understand that. It isn't like we just don't get it because we haven't tried CTE enough. The only possibility is that in the book Stan either stops saying that all shots can be made objectively without "user input" or he modifies his position on that.

Put another way 2+2 will never equal 5 no matter how you present it or how good you are at math.
Obviously you need to put more effort into hyper checkers.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it ready yet?
The truth series is ready but won't be out until the book is ready. The book is ready but won't be out until the website is updated. So we'll see. There have been several years available to update the website, which typically might require a day or two. It could have been updated any time and then launched when the book was out. Apparently the book has been in the hands of the publisher for a good year or maybe more so it isn't like there wasn't a little time here or there to do the website. Just saying.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aiming does me little good when I don't deliver the cue ball where I think I'm going to.
That pretty much sums up how I feel. Anyone who has played this game as long as I have at a relatively high skill level (for an amateur), knows (by trial and error over millions of shots) how much to cut any shot to make it, when I’m over the ball lining it up.

Delivering the cue on a straight line to that target consistently is easily the biggest issue that holds me back from becoming a better player. I’m guessing that’s the same for most players who have played this game for decades.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That pretty much sums up how I feel. Anyone who has played this game as long as I have at a relatively high skill level (for an amateur), knows (by trial and error over millions of shots) how much to cut any shot to make it, when I’m over the ball lining it up.

Delivering the cue on a straight line to that target consistently is easily the biggest issue that holds me back from becoming a better player. I’m guessing that’s the same for most players who have played this game for decades.
I'd like to add one thing to this. If my own experience (playing many years) is any guide, I'd say most people don't realize how much small deviations from straight will guarantee a miss. I always saw how carefully pro's played and just thought they were being careful because they are in competition. That is true, but really they are also assuring a good stroke. I could make lots of shots without being so careful. It took until relatively recently to understand that my stroke was not true enough and that it was causing mistakes. In other words, you have to realize you have a problem before you can fix it. It's a 12 step process!

Reactions: bbb

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good tests:
Do the over the spot lag over the full range of speed.
Freeze two balls and shoot/push them congruently.

Real time shooting aid:
Air shoot the cueball until that image is congruent with the actual shot.

Perfect is impossible is not an excuse.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yep. I recall this conversation from when Poolology was being discussed. I know the ob should be a tad farther than center spot but for me I get some variability anyway. Some shots hit the pocket facing on the fat side, some go center pocket. Once I get it grooved I'm looking at where the cb ends up.
As PJ said, when an ob is on the center spot and the cb-ob centerline is pointed at the middle diamond on the end rail, it's slightly off from a perfect 30° cut to either corner pocket. But that's good, because a 30° cut doesn't come off at 30° anyway....it's closer to 28°, which makes it a very accurate shot.

Here's a neat bit.... Place an ob anywhere along the centerline between the side pockets, but no closer than about 8" from either side. Now line the cb up so the cb-ob centerline is pointed at the middle diamond on the end rail. A halfball aim will pocket the ob into either corner pocket. That's sort of the nuts and bolts of Poolology. The first 2 minutes of this video shows what I'm talking about....

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
The books are arriving this week, then he will release the truth series vids and start delivering books. I didn’t hear anything about waiting for a website update.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
As PJ said, when an ob is on the center spot and the cb-ob centerline is pointed at the middle diamond on the end rail, it's slightly off from a perfect 30° cut to either corner pocket. But that's good, because a 30° cut doesn't come off at 30° anyway....it's closer to 28°, which makes it a very accurate shot.
The cut angle for that setup depends on the distance between CB & OB. The cut is 30° with the CB fairly close, but to make it 28° (to allow for throw) the CB has to back up quite a bit.

pj
chgo

center spot half ball.jpg

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
The cut angle for that setup depends on the distance between CB & OB. The cut is 30° with the CB fairly close, but to make it 28° (to allow for throw) the CB has to back up quite a bit.

pj
chgo

View attachment 584609
The beauty is that you can use the centerline between cb and ob for these shots, both pointing straight to the middle diamond on the end rail, and you know 100% that a halfball aim will work. From the closer cb (top diagram) the ob will go into the pocket right of center, slightly thick due to throw. From the farther cb (bottom diagram) the ob hits closer to center pocket.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The beauty is that you can use the centerline between cb and ob for these shots, both pointing straight to the middle diamond on the end rail, and you know 100% that a halfball aim will work. From the closer cb (top diagram) the ob will go into the pocket right of center, slightly thick due to throw. From the farther cb (bottom diagram) the ob hits closer to center pocket.
Yup - just stay at least a diamond or so from the OB.

pj
chgo