CF shaft stored in hot car?

Mr Slate

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Silver Member
So my job has me traveling 10 months a year. I drive to a different state just about every week. I'd like to have my cue with me but, it would be in my unattended car most of the time (16 hours average) when I'm working. The heat would not be too kind to the wooden shaft. My question is....if I get a CF shaft, would the intense prolonged heat do any serious damage to it? I can handle having to get a new tip put on every so often if the glue gives out. I just want a decent cue to bring with me.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So my job has me traveling 10 months a year. I drive to a different state just about every week. I'd like to have my cue with me but, it would be in my unattended car most of the time (16 hours average) when I'm working. The heat would not be too kind to the wooden shaft. My question is....if I get a CF shaft, would the intense prolonged heat do any serious damage to it? I can handle having to get a new tip put on every so often if the glue gives out. I just want a decent cue to bring with me.

BeCue is the only company that makes a full CF cue from the shaft to the butt.
The CF shaft would be fine but I understand that predator and cuetec have spliced maple butts...those would definitely be effected by the heat.

You want indestructible and top end, get a BeCue PrimeM shaft with the standard CF butt.

https://www.becueofficial.com/

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm not sure the heat would affect the carbon fiber, but I'm wondering what effect it may have on the glue in the cue.

If glue isn't a problem, the Becue has a carbon fiber butt and shaft.

Edit: I see Cardigan Kid beat me to it. LOL.

When I started typing there wasn't a response yet. :)

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shouldn't be a problem at all leaving carbon fiber in a hot car. That stuff is super stable at temp extremes far greater than what you will ever subject it to. I've seen the stuff used in high bypass jet engine structure to cruise missile rotary launchers on the B-1B bomber.

Now you are right about the adhesive that holds the tips on. I don't know much about cues, but I'll bet the cue makers probably could help you out in finding a good heat resistance adhesive to use on those tips.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After the cue is subject to 70C tems for elevated lengths of time, on a repeating cycle, it will break down. Aerospace high temp resins, and heat resistant carbon fibre is not used in any sporting equipment that I know of at all. If it was, the price would be increased by a minimum of a factor of 10. Super glues breakdown over time with temps of 70C , not sure about the layers in a tip. Most epoxies can handle temps to around 150C, but most do not like cyclic heating to above 70C either.
Under 50C it is just fine, even though that is still too hot to be handling by most people. Don't underestimate the temp a car interior can heat up to if left in the baking sun on a hot day.

wrickyb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BeCue is the only company that makes a full CF cue from the shaft to the butt.
The CF shaft would be fine but I understand that predator and cuetec have spliced maple butts...those would definitely be effected by the heat.

You want indestructible and top end, get a BeCue PrimeM shaft with the standard CF butt.

https://www.becueofficial.com/

You can also contact me here in the US for BeCue products - USABecueOfficial@gmail.com or text/call 574-320-2438
Ricky Bryant

I Got Lucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After the cue is subject to 70C tems for elevated lengths of time, on a repeating cycle, it will break down. Aerospace high temp resins, and heat resistant carbon fibre is not used in any sporting equipment that I know of at all. If it was, the price would be increased by a minimum of a factor of 10. Super glues breakdown over time with temps of 70C , not sure about the layers in a tip. Most epoxies can handle temps to around 150C, but most do not like cyclic heating to above 70C either.
Under 50C it is just fine, even though that is still too hot to be handling by most people. Don't underestimate the temp a car interior can heat up to if left in the baking sun on a hot day.
Well there is the glue that NASA used to keep the heat shield tiles adhered to the space shuttle.

Shouldnt be too expensive.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
speed of cycling is important too

The speed of heating and cooling cycles is important for most materials too, probably including CF. Wrapping the case in an old blanket or something more sophisticated to prevent rapid cycling of temperature would probably add to the life of CF and adhesives.

One of the more important things about CF shafts and sticks is consistency from unit to unit. Chances are a replacement will play much the same as the old one if it ever has to be replaced, unlike wood which can be all over the place.

I would get some idea of the effective life according to the manufacturer. It might be longer than our expectations. If less than how long you expect to play figuring the cost of the shaft over it's expected life will probably more than justify the cost. If CF is going to last for years as I suspect, our life is too short to worry about a few dollars.

Hu

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A buddy lived in Vegas and always left his golf clubs in the trunk. He did have a head come loose from shaft but never had a problem with shaft themselves breaking down. Apparently the gluing/curing used in the shaft is waay more stable than the epoxy used to put the head on. Cues will probably be same deal: shaft will be fine but tips and their attachment might be a tad sketchy after some hot car time.