Chalk build up in case

crabbcatjohn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a old case and it has a lot of chalk build up inside of the tubes. It gets on my shafts . I just taped a rubber tube to a small shop vac and ran it up and down inside the tubes. Any other tips on getting the chalk residue out?

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a old case and it has a lot of chalk build up inside of the tubes. It gets on my shafts . I just taped a rubber tube to a small shop vac and ran it up and down inside the tubes. Any other tips on getting the chalk residue out?

What kind of case? Whats the lining made out of? Exactly how much chalk are we talking, cloud of dust, or just some marks etc. Important info to know.
If its marks, you can use a shotgun cleaning rod with a new cotton bore mop. Lightly dampen the mop with water and gently run it in and out of the tube. Pull the mop out, clean it off and repeat. Before you put your cues back in, leave the case open, preferably with a fan blowing air into the case until you are completely sure its dry.
If youre getting clouds of dust keep vacuuming it until its just marks..... :D
Chuck

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
I feel your pain, having purchased many vintage cases with lot of chalk in the tubes.

The best way I have found to remove the most chalk residue is this :

Straighten a metal coat hanger and bend a small hook at one end.
Attach a good sized piece of linen cloth or old t-shirt to the hook.
Add a generous amount of denatured alcohol to the cloth, insert
into each tube, rotate the cloth while slowly removing it.
Change the cloth as necessary and repeat the cleaning process
until desired results are achieved.
Let air-dry or speed up the process with a hair dryer on low-medium
heat setting.
This process has worked perfectly for me many, many times.

crabbcatjohn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel your pain, having purchased many vintage cases with lot of chalk in the tubes.

The best way I have found to remove the most chalk residue is this :

Straighten a metal coat hanger and bend a small hook at one end.
Attach a good sized piece of linen cloth or old t-shirt to the hook.
Add a generous amount of denatured alcohol to the cloth, insert
into each tube, rotate the cloth while slowly removing it.
Change the cloth as necessary and repeat the cleaning process
until desired results are achieved.
Let air-dry or speed up the process with a hair dryer on low-medium
heat setting.
This process has worked perfectly for me many, many times.
I vacuumed it real well, but I think i'll try that too. Thanks!

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
I've used a 40 inch air nozzle with holes in the sides and end to blow dust out of tube cases. I then stuck the cleaning rod with chalkboard felt attached and a drill to slowly spin the rod to pick up any residual chalk dust with static kling.

A good idea for all to wipe chalk off the tips before going in any case.

Rob.M

Shannon.spronk

Anybody read this?
Silver Member
You would all hate my case then. I however love a good shaft with lots of bluing. It is like a badge of honor to me.

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
I've used a 40 inch air nozzle with holes in the sides and end to blow dust out of tube cases. I then stuck the cleaning rod with chalkboard felt attached and a drill to slowly spin the rod to pick up any residual chalk dust with static kling.

A good idea for all to wipe chalk off the tips before going in any case.
Rob.M

Sound Advice. I Never, Ever place Shafts or Butts in my Cases without
first removing all chalk from the Tips and wiping everything down.
This takes less than 2 minutes to complete.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Sound Advice. I Never, Ever place Shafts or Butts in my Cases without
first removing all chalk from the Tips and wiping everything down.
This takes less than 2 minutes to complete.

-
Yes sir! Great advise'
I got a towel from for a great price, they are eazy to find and low cost.

To all in general:
If you wipe chalk off your tip on the poolroom floor plz stop unless you don't mind me wiping chalk off of your home carpet.

Rob.M

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Or, you could take it to Scooter and Tedder's Car Wash.

They would probably do it for a couple of quarters.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This subject came up on here a while back. I couldn't believe the number of people that said they didn't bother cleaning their shafts before putting them in the case.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

Also, change the type of chalk you are using ;) Some chalks don't blue your shaft much at all. I can't explain it, just like I can't explain why certain chalks don't miscue much at all (though Dr. Dave did present the evidence recently)

So, good chalk, and a towel will do wonders for your case and shaft :thumbup:

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Be careful with Fellini style cases. I ruined an Ann Gore case trying to clean out the old chalk residues. I was using microfiber paint rollers and having some success. I was on my last pass when one got stuck. In that style case, the felt insert is only glued at the top. The roller got stuck and would not come out. I have not found anybody who will repair the case.