Chance encounter with a pool player

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are exactly right but it jumps off the screen at you what he wanted to do and warrants comment. He could have easily told the same story of meeting this man without all the negative details. He even had his kids in the car as he went to this guys door for the confrontation he wanted. Make no mistake about it, he was looking for trouble.

Yes, it did require comment regardless of the final outcome. This story did not have to have a happy ending. I am sorry, I didn't get the warm and fuzzy feeling after reading it others may have.

macguy, you just reinforced my earlier statement. You saw the glass half empty and were looking for fault. This is a problem on the forums.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
macguy, you just reinforced my earlier statement. You saw the glass half empty and were looking for fault. This is a problem on the forums.

I have thousands of posts over the last 12 years and any quick look at past postings you can see that is not what I do. This post just hit me right in the face what he wanted to do, and did it. It is shear luck this did not turn out bad.

The rest of the story almost became irrelevant as he put himself, the person who lived at the address he went to, as well as his own kids in danger. For what, for nothing. Who goes onto a strangers property looking for trouble and thinks this is all right. It is nuts.

Gotboost95

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have thousands of posts over the last 12 years and any quick look at past postings you can see that is not what I do. This post just hit me right in the face what he wanted to do, and did it. It is shear luck this did not turn out bad.

The rest of the story almost became irrelevant as he put himself, the person who lived at the address he went to, as well as his own kids in danger. For what, for nothing. Who goes onto a strangers property looking for trouble and thinks this is all right. It is nuts.

Someone should hit you in the face because your an idiot. Like I said I have no problem with confrontation. But also have no problem with correcting my son when he was in the wrong either.

Don't take this the wrong way but go jump off a cliff head first moron.

That's the way to take the thread off course guys. The thread is about an old pool player entering dementia etc. and the guy is trying to help him out and all you guys want to do is pick out flaws in the OP's character. And members wonder what is wrong with AZB these days! In a nutshell: too many self righteous haters. Live an let live for crying out loud. We all live in glass houses so put that stone down.

Exactly my thoughts.

END THREAD...

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone should hit you in the face because your an idiot. Like I said I have no problem with confrontation. But also have no problem with correcting my son when he was in the wrong either.

Don't take this the wrong way but go jump off a cliff head first moron.

Exactly my thoughts.

END THREAD...
Expected response, consistent. Well, at least you admit it, you went there looking for trouble. You put yourself as well as your kids in real danger. Your a real bright guy. The worst part, you are either a lier unable to even admit when you are wrong. What you required of your son by the way. Or worse, you are actually so stupid your don't even know what it is you did. I made my point, or you actually made it for me so you get the last word.

Last edited:

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
That is good of you to think of doing that. Stage 1 isn't that drastic. Just loosing memory and repeating themselves somewhat.

It's good to keep your mind working and they forget to forget. Probably have more lucid moments than not.

You will make an old fellas day and most likely learn a few things along the way.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is good of you to think of doing that. Stage 1 isn't that drastic. Just loosing memory and repeating themselves somewhat.

It's good to keep your mind working and they forget to forget. Probably have more lucid moments than not.

You will make an old fellas day and most likely learn a few things along the way.

I used to go in a pool room that had a lot of older players. Many who had not played in years till this new room opened. I have to say, this room kept some of them going, it was what they looked forward to everyday.

Imagine a guy playing billiards towing his oxygen tank along with him. I think it gave some of them a new reason to live.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speaking of fault...
How did the old guy go from talking on the phone to swinging at a kid?

Gotboost95

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speaking of fault...
How did the old guy go from talking on the phone to swinging at a kid?

The gentleman actually said that happened. He had thrown a hand out the window as my kids rode by. No harm intended just talking with his hands I guess.

Like I posted earlier after seeing the man and just a few words out of his mouth I realized my son was in the wrong.

Fireside

Registered
I think macguy is over reacting, and pushing your opinion (no its not fact) so hard while repeating yourself makes it look like an awful weak argument.

If I had a child in that situation you bet your ass I'd be at that persons house. And you can also bet it would be later that night. Why? Because if you're angry, thinking someone threatened your child, calming down before confronting them (confronting does notean physically assaulting. Please look up what this word means.) in hopes that it could be worked out peacefully is a good idea. Leaving a problem like this unresolved can have major consequences in the future.

Sorry that just struck me as a really personal attack at the OP.

More on topic, I think this is a fantastic idea. I wish more people, especially the younger generation such as myself, would think more of how they can help others and less of how they can help themselves.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So this afternoon my son 11 and daughter 9 were riding their bikes to the store. I get a phone call saying some old man was yelling and cursing at them. And my son proceeded to flip him the bird and then called me. He tells me he drove off so I didn't jump in the car just then.

Later this evening on our way to have dinner I decided to stop by the mans house and figure out what the misunderstanding was. Fully ready to drag this guy out in the street and beat the tar out of him. What I found instantly changed my mind. An 82 year old man with a hell of a stout hand shake and stage 1 Alzheimer's. I spoke with him for a few minutes and then called my son out of the car. Convinced this gentle old man didn't have an angry bone in his body. And find it was just him talking on the phone with his wife and my son thought he was talking to him. We apologized and shook hands.

As we were leaving he mentions he started playing pool when he was about my sons age 11. I responded with I play a pretty strong game myself. He proceeds to invite us into his home to show us something. In his garage are 100's of beautiful paintings and under a sheet and blank canvas is about a 30 year old 9' Brunswick gold crown. He tells us stories of growing up in the Midwest near Omaha. He then says he used to rub shoulders with many old timers like Willie Hoppie, Irvine Crane, and rattled off a few others. Said he used to teach pool and was on the payroll at a couple different pool halls as an instructor.

I was talking to my wife about the stories this old man was telling me at dinner. And then I came up with an idea. I'm planning on speaking with this gentleman's wife and asking if it would be ok to drag him along with me to the pool hall if he's up for it. having a grandfather with this disorder I understand what they are gong thru. Figure it might help him stay sharp and let him do something he loves.

The guys name is Ted Valdez

Sounds like you need to stop jumping to conclusions.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everyone is so judgmental. This is a happy ending post. The OP realizes he was wrong, of course no one in this forum has ever been wrong, and he admits he was wrong and wants to atone for his wrong by doing a good deed for an old pool player that is experiencing dementia. Simple as that.

Gotboost95

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A little update from this week. I had back surgery 3 weeks ago for a pinched sciatic nerve. Which has been a literal pain in my ass/leg for 6 months.

Was driving by Teds house this week in the evening and noticed his garage was open. Drove by and he was shooting some pool. So my son and I stopped by to say hi. He remembered us which was nice. He immediately asked my son if he knew how to play. He then spent the next 2 hours giving my son a lesson on his bridge and stroke and pocketing balls.

I was talking with Ted and asked him to come out to the pool hall sometime with me and play. I could see a little glimmer in his eye but his response I could tell he's not very comfortable leaving his house. He said I could call him anytime day or night and come over and play there. I didn't want to push him so I left it at that. Figure I'll make my way over there a few times and play then maybe get him out and about.

And yes I have said and will say again I was wrong and this is one of the most wonderful old time pool players I've ever met.

Couple pics from the other day a little blurry but oh well.

Last edited:

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a great ending to this story so far. Those are some great pictures, love that pool table.My dad is similarly effected like Ted and I can tell you from experience having regular visitors to keep him engaged is a great thing. It will also provide a nice break for his wife to have someone else there for a while too.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Yes sounds like he's got a high run of 80. Said he's been close to that number man of times. Said he used to play another game sounded similar but didn't recognize the name.

I wonder if the game he played was called Line-up.
Rather than racking up 14 balls at the end of the rack, you ran the whole 15 balls, then
spotted them all in a line from the spot and kept shooting.

This is my theory of how 14.1 is also called straight pool.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Colder........

I've played on tables like that....pretty sure they were pre-Anniversay and Centennial.

'course, when I was a kid, I only made sure there were six pockets.
Is it even a Brunswick?

Gotboost95

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No you guys are right not a gold crown. Like I said it was completely covered when I was there before. I said gold crown and he nodded.