Changing the format just before the tournament

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’m in the Phoenix valley (Chandler to be specific). The best two rooms in the valley are Main Street billiards in Mesa, and Bullshooters in Peoria. I consider them both to be local pool rooms for me.
Is Mills's Modern Social off your list? And what happened to Kolby's? It was open a few months ago.

As for the OP, I think the TD was in a tough spot. Some slack is indicated especially since things seem to have worked out for the OP.

rharm

Registered
He’s not the most well-known pro. Joven Bustamante. Anyone unfamiliar with him should YouTube some of his matches. He’s incredible.
Watched him play at the hex.com tournament last summer. Very solid player. Spent a little time talking with him, seems like a great guy.

DeeDeeCues

a handicapped event--- is supposed to be fair for all, as opposed to an open event.

it is not fair if some have a definite advantage over others. you are supposed to win if you perform better than you normally do. not because you
are superior to your opponents. that is reserved for the open events.

No, handicapped tourneys should still favor the best, but to a lesser degree. If you want 'fair', bet on a coin flip.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is Mills's Modern Social off your list? And what happened to Kolby's? It was open a few months ago.

As for the OP, I think the TD was in a tough spot. Some slack is indicated especially since things seem to have worked out for the OP.
Mill's Modern Social was a great pool room. Now it's an awesome college hangout with pool tables. I know their manager and the business is doing terrific. Kolby's unfortunately closed a few months ago. They just sold all of their tables and accessories at auction for over $60k. The actual pool rooms that I know of are:
Main Street
Bullshooters
Jester's
Skip and Jan's
Mill's (since they have pool leagues)
Jicky Jack's has a lot of pool events to and a great owner (maybe more of a bar than a pool room)

I definitely gave the TD some slack since I appreciate what he does for the pool community and I don't think 4 chips was out of line. I was only interested in hearing the opinion of others on creating a tournament announcement and then changing the format the night of.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I often wonder if much larger cities, how many pool halls are within 45 mins.
NYC, Philly, LA, Atlanta, Houston, Memphis, Orlando, etc.

I am not in a "major" city, but there are way more pool halls in the 45min - 1 hour range by me than there are to Boston. I can list 5 or 6 that have 9 ft tables and 3-4 more with 8 or 7 ft tables. Pretty much every pool hall in Boston or close suburbs has shut down. Boston Billiards (ironically the only Boston Billiards left is in NH LOL), many Jillians (I think only the Boston location near Fenway Park is still open), Brighton Billiards, bunch of others, all gone.

There are 3 within a 30 min drive, two within 15 mins of me, near the Worcester MA area, which is a decent city in MA but not like Boston or LA, etc..

For Boston, I can think of 2 within 45 mins, and the rest are over an hour away.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bar table 9-ball with your opponents breaking is very hard to win that tournament.

Loser breaks is interesting, I can see a team of even two 500 Fargo players running that out on a 7 footer without too much difficulty. But then the other team breaks and if they have a 1200+ rating that is a much higher chance of a break and run. I still think this format would favor a team that is a level over the opponents.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Loser breaks is interesting, I can see a team of even two 500 Fargo players running that out on a 7 footer without too much difficulty. But then the other team breaks and if they have a 1200+ rating that is a much higher chance of a break and run. I still think this format would favor a team that is a level over the opponents.
I would agree. That's why we get less lives than most other teams. I'll add that we've lost more of these tournaments than we've won. It's brutal fading that many opponents breaking against you.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would agree. That's why we get less lives than most other teams. I'll add that we've lost more of these tournaments than we've won. It's brutal fading that many opponents breaking against you.

Well, if there are say 12 teams and you have a near 50% win rate, that is pretty good LOL Based on parity you should be winning about the same amount as other teams maybe 10% more. If a single player or team is winning even say 1/4 of the time, that is a pretty dominant result. Not to count say top 4 finishes even if out of the money. 12 players, someone finishes top 4 most of the time even when they don't win, I would consider that a very good result.

There are a few tournaments in MI, in Lansing area, that are almost always won by either one of a father/son group, both named George. Singles but both of them are strong shooters. One is low 600s, one is high 600s Fargo. When I was in the area for work, they were some of the people I met to hang out with and play, and usually it was one of them or both of them that would hand me a loss in the tournaments there LOL Some times I see 4-5 weeks in a row when one of them won.

Last edited:

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, if there are say 12 teams and you have a near 50% win rate, that is pretty good LOL Based on parity you should be winning 10% of the time.
Most of these events have over 25 teams. We've had to win 40 games before to win the tournament. That's a 13-1 win ratio giving up the break. I wouldn't call it unfair.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll add that we've lost more of these tournaments than we've won. It's brutal fading that many opponents breaking against you.
A handicapped tournament and you are justifying your handicap by saying you have lost more tournaments than you’ve won? Clearly the TD is not handicapping you guys tough enough.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He’s not the most well-known pro. Joven Bustamante. Anyone unfamiliar with him should YouTube some of his matches. He’s incredible.
Wow. That guy can play!

In the end it sounds like it worked out for you guys.

68D3BE03-9A7E-46EB-A078-0C7CD7DF704A.jpeg

For me holding an event, even a local on a weeknight is a business arrangement. Making last minute changes that seemingly target one entrant/entrants at the time of an event that is advertised even by word of mouth is unjust. The proper move to me is to allow the guys to play as advertised. Then let them and everyone else know that starting with the next event a handicap change will be made.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Odd, there is no 8 chip rating... so solution here is to move the spots up by 1 and fill in the 8 chip slot, and make it a nice even transition, this way 1200 would get 6 chips, and the 1300+ would get 5. I am guessing there are not many, if any, teams that are 700 or 800 due to the "999 and under" rating since that would be as bad as a 1200 and up rating LOL I mean imagine an 800 team playing even with a 999 team? Exact same handicap difference in skill as 1200 - 1400.

Maybe they should change that as well to make a 10 chip and 11 chip team if they want to go the other way to the high limits. Fair is fair after all ;)

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A handicapped tournament and you are justifying your handicap by saying you have lost more tournaments than you’ve won? Clearly the TD is not handicapping you guys tough enough.
When the best team plays their best game, and wins on their last life… I’d say it worked out the way it should. What the hell is the point of playing good if tournaments are still a coin flip? Shouldn’t you have to play good to win?

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Odd, there is no 8 chip rating... so solution here is to move the spots up by 1 and fill in the 8 chip slot, and make it a nice even transition, this way 1200 would get 6 chips, and the 1300+ would get 5. I am guessing there are not many, if any, teams that are 700 or 800 due to the "999 and under" rating since that would be as bad as a 1200 and up rating LOL I mean imagine an 800 team playing even with a 999 team? Exact same handicap difference in skill as 1200 - 1400.

Maybe they should change that as well to make a 10 chip and 11 chip team if they want to go the other way to the high limits. Fair is fair after all ;)
There are so many variables as you point out. I played with my best friend in a similar tournament two times. His preliminary rating is 525 (which is VERY generous). We get the same amount of chips as me and Joven. Needless to say, we were the first team eliminated both times.

I’ll remind everyone, I go to the tournaments to have a fun night out. With that goal, I win every time😬. This thread is about changing the advertised format ten minutes before it starts.

Rodney

hot7339
Silver Member
Interested in your thoughts. Chip tournaments are pretty popular in my area. They also love scotch doubles here. A tournament was advertised for a scotch doubles chip tournament where the lower rated teams get more chips (based on your combined fargos). The higher tier was listed as “1200 and above get 5 chips”.

My partner and I get there and the TD tells us that someone already complained about us and he only allowed us to start with 4 chips. We are 1467 combined (mainly because of my partner 😬).

I drove 45 minutes to this place to find the rules changed to suit a complainer. I don’t mind starting with 4, unless I’m expecting 5. Am I just nitpicking here?
Wait, didn’t we meet and play some on Worcester, Mass.? If so your partner definitely carried you😂🤣