Charlie Ursitti was a highly trained rifle sharpshooter (Luther Lassiter also).

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Charlie, fondly remembered by all pool fans, passed away four years ago. All knew of his long and important relationship with Willie Mosconi, but few were aware of this aspect of his background:
https://poolhistory.com/man-of-many-talents-hall-of-fame-inductee-charles-ursitti-known-for-marksmanship/

Charlie Ursitti was a highly-trained rifle sharpshooter (Luther Lassiter as well)..JPG

Enjoy.
Arnaldo ~ Have a wonderful 2023. I turn 87 next week. The pleasures of pool playing (and pool's history) and continually relating to other AZBers, keeps me alert, vigorous and well attuned to life in general.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Charlie, fondly remembered by all pool fans, passed away four years ago. All knew of his long and important relationship with Willie Mosconi, but few were aware of this aspect of his background:
https://poolhistory.com/man-of-many-talents-hall-of-fame-inductee-charles-ursitti-known-for-marksmanship/

View attachment 678553
Enjoy.
Arnaldo ~ Have a wonderful 2023. I turn 87 next week. The pleasures of pool playing (and pool's history) and continually relating to other AZBers, keeps me alert, vigorous and well attuned to life in general.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I'm so happy to see this. I'm an average shooter and pool player.
This is really something I'll show off to folks! Thank you !!!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I knew Charlie since the late 1970's but I never knew this.

I was delighted when he was inducted into the BCA Hall of Fame in 2015, introduced by none other than Loree Jon Jones.

Gone but not forgotten.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I knew Charlie since the late 1970's but I never knew this.

I was delighted when he was inducted into the BCA Hall of Fame in 2015, introduced by none other than Loree Jon Jones.

Gone but not forgotten.
Charlie was a man of many talents and skills. In addition to being a crackshot he was also a black belt in Karate, and was no one to mess with. He looked small, chubby and weak. In fact he could be a dangerous man to tangle with! The old time New Yorkers knew about him. He was known to have cracked the skulls of a couple of would be muggers when he was a younger man.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Charlie was a man of many talents and skills. In addition to being a crackshot he was also a black belt in Karate, and was no one to mess with. He looked small, chubby and weak. In fact he could be a dangerous man to tangle with! The old time New Yorkers knew about him. He was known to have cracked the skulls of a couple of would be muggers when he was a younger man.
. . . . and rumored to have instantly confronted and toned-down occasional, loud and aggressive mal-acting spectators at a few Mosconi exhibitions over the years.

Willie knew all about and trusted his lifetime pal's abilities in that regard. Superstars in any discipline always instinctively know who among their closely-held, regular companions is dependably & utterly fearless in any situation.

Arnaldo
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
. . . . and rumored to have instantly confronted and toned-down occasional, loud and aggressive mal-acting spectators at a few Mosconi exhibitions over the years.

Willie knew all about and trusted his lifetime pal's abilities in that regard. Superstars in any discipline always instinctively know who among their closely-held, regular companions is dependably & utterly fearless in any situation.

Arnaldo
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
That too! You really didn't want to piss him off.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It mentions it aired on ESPN I would guess the same year 1993. I wonder if it is somewhere to be found? Maybe some ESPN archive.
Here it is, MON (it aired in 1978):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tTaYlkhDfI

The uploader honorably apologized for the poor video quality. The white streaking stops quickly after the first minute. It's the best it can be for about a 4th generation copy (as is apparent via the fuzziness).

What characteristic verbal viciousness on Fat's part at the opening. The network and viewers loved that element.

Off-camera, Fats spoke very gently to Ursitti (no mystery why).

Arnaldo
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited:

middleofnowhere

Registered
Here it is, MON:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tTaYlkhDfI

The uploader honorably apologized for the poor video quality. The white streaking stops quickly after the first minute. It's the best it can be for about a 4th generation copy (as is apparent via the fuzziness).

What characteristic verbal viciousness on Fat's part at the opening. The network and viewers loved that element.

Off-camera, Fat's spoke very gently to Ursitti (no mystery why).

Arnaldo
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I was referring to the shooting competition.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
You have to read the article to see the kicker. Charlie was shooting on a team. When he got to the range he found that he had left two of his competition pistols at the motel where he had taken them to clean the guns. Charlie let team mates use the two target pistols and Charlie ran his perfect score with a compact 9mm!

Cool story. I had no idea that Charlie was an expert shooter and coach or that he was a blackbelt. Not that he was disrespectful to a level that could be offensive but one of the funniest matches with Mosconi was when Fats agreed to leave Mosconi alone. Instead he ragged Charlie!

I shot steel plate competition with a polite pudgy youngster before Hurricane Katrina took out the indoor range those weekly matches were shot at. He was a very polite young man, soft spoken, the kind to get teased at school. Even at twelve chained lightning with a pistol. A few years later I did know that one of the military branches had recruited him for their pistol team. It was about a year ago that I noticed that Sig had came out with signature series pistols with his name on them. Max has done alright! He isn't the pudgy youngster any longer.

Hu