Charlotte Billiards Mfg Co.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About a year and a half ago I was at one of the local rooms I frequent playing snooker. This particular room has 2 snooker tables, a very old Saunier Wilhelm, which gets all the play, and another table that very much resembles the Brunswick Centenial and Anniversary designs. I asked the manager why no one ever plays on it and damned if he didn't tell me they had lost the cue ball for it,,,,,,,no shit! He then proceeded to tell me that anyone energetic enough to remove it could have it, so the very next weekend I put it in storage, for free. Just a month ago I moved to a new house which has an extra room large enough for the table, so for the last couple of weeks I have been working on refinishing it and will soon be setting it up. Most of the stuff is refinishable and restorable, but I think I'll go with new pocket liners just to keep everything crisp and clean. I was looking online and ran across a website that carrys all kinds of NOS parts for mainly Brunswick, but also several other brands of old tables and was looking at their inventory for a new set of pocket liners. As I looked I began seeing damn near every piece of hardware I have on my table, from the pocket castings all the way to the bridge hooks. The pocket castings in particular caught my eye because the castings for the Anniversary and Centenial model Brunswicks are identical to the ones I have on my table. Even the nameplates, they have a section of nameplates with various company names on them, yet they are the same size as the Brunswick nameplates, so I assume they made tables for other companies as well and then labeled them with the appropriate nameplate. I'm really wondering now if my table, labeled Charlotte Billiards Mfg Co. is really an old Brunswick made table. The design is almost identical to the Anniversary and Centenial models, except that being a 10 ft snooker table, mine has 3 legs instead of 2.

What is really wierd is that in a small room in a nearby town they have one 9 ft table and a few bar boxes. The 9 footer is identical to my table, same company nameplate and all, except that it is a 2 leg table.

My question is this,,,,, have any of you ever heard of or know anything about the history of these tables sold with The Charlotte Billiards Mfg Co. nameplate on them?

fat Albert

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Call Zeb Parrish in Charlotte without question the best in recovering a table. I think his dad owned the company if not he can give you the background .His family has been doing that for 80 years. mobile 704 519 6531 post what you find out

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
It could very easily be a Brunswick.
Back in the day, table servicemen would remove the original nameplate and replace it with their own, so they'd get the call back when it was time to service the table again.

Post a few pics and we can tell you for sure.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And to add support to mr. Bond's claim...

I had an antique Brunswick Wellington that had a local nameplate. I think it was commonplace for local dealers to place their own name on the tables they sold.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
I asked the manager why no one ever plays on it and damned if he didn't tell me they had lost the cue ball for it,,,,,,,no shit! He then proceeded to tell me that anyone energetic enough to remove it could have it.

-

I don't get it........they got rid of the table because they lost the $20 cue ball......?
WTF.......it won't be long before that room closes...or hopefully they get a new manager... If they run out of cue chalk are they going to give away the house cues......?

You made a huge score on his stupidly' I suggest you put a few grand into the table to get it playing like a dream by sending your rails to mark gregory to have them updated to today's specs. You will be happier with a table that plays like a dream.

Rob.M

Last edited: