Chess Clocks in Tournaments?

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Talking to a friend recently who brought this up. He reads here but rarely posts I'm thinking but.....Chess clocks.

Is there a place for the use of the chess clocks in Pool?

Reactions: Pin

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It would need to be per rack. I think it's worth trying.

The vast majority of the time it wouldn't be needed but really slow players can ruin the enjoyment of the game both for their opponents and the spectators.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
It would need to be per rack. I think it's worth trying.

The vast majority of the time it wouldn't be needed but really slow players can ruin the enjoyment of the game both for their opponents and the spectators.

Here is the wikipedia post on Chess Clocks. I think it could work but today games are already 30 sec shot clock.

I'm not sure if the chess clock can improve on that.

Zerksies

Are we including the time walking from the clock to the table? That could add a second or two to the inning. Are we talking over all length of game or Inning per shot? 5 minutes for amateur might be fine, way too long for pros.

The only game that comes to mind is one pocket the chess of pool.

Way too many questions here

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Are we including the time walking from the clock to the table? That could add a second or two to the inning. Are we talking over all length of game or Inning per shot? 5 minutes for amateur might be fine, way too long for pros.

The way I understand it chess clocks can be set for the time you're alloted in which to play the match.

If you want matches over in 8 minutes, each player would get 4 minutes on their clock for say 9-ball.

This would cause the player to come check things out throughly and fire the shot in without dawdling. If the rack is not finished
in the allotted time a player would eventually run out of time and lose by default, is the way I understand how chess clocks work.

Not sure that would work though?

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Chess clock could work for pool. My idea is start everyone off with 2 minutes, and every shot adds 30 seconds. Whatever you don't use is added back to the clock.

I get this. The player that runs out of his 2 minutes because he consistently is slower than normal would lose that rack by default
more especially if it were a longer race but I'd like to see this done. Is there a function to allow it to add 30 seconds each time?

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I get this. The player that runs out of his 2 minutes because he consistently is slower than normal would lose that rack by default
more especially if it were a longer race but I'd like to see this done. Is there a function to allow it to add 30 seconds each time?
It can be programmed as an app.

I'm not a fan of use up your entire 30 seconds whether you need it or not, as it rewards slow play.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Plus a chess clock would add an element of the javelin toss to pool to liven things up: as a player's time was winding down, it would behoove him to be able to accurately launch his cue at the clock.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
If you want CHESS CLOCK, take up Chess.

Pool has too many set of RULES, have one Universal set that is even used on Mars.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There have been multiple threads here about chess clocks for pool. Below is part of one of those threads about using them for 14.1. It is possible to use them for by-the-rack games such as 8 ball and 9 ball. Chess clocks have worked for pool already.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This has been discussed several times before. Many of the posters to this thread don't understand how modern chess clocks work.

I figured out how to use chess clocks for pool after a league match to 100 at straight pool took three and a half hours. It worked like this:

Each player gets a starting bank of 30 seconds per ball needed plus 10 minutes for overhead.

The clock adds an additional 20 seconds per inning. That means that if you play briskly a safety exchange costs you no time.

When a player finishes his turn, he has to go over to the clock which is between the players' chairs and start his opponent's clock. For chess clocks, only one player's clock runs at a time. That gets the non-shooter away from the table as a side benefit.

If there is interference from outside or a rule needs to be decided, the clocks are suspended.

Rack your own on your own time. Take as long as you want to rack the balls. It's your own time.

Need a bathroom visit? Do it on your own time.

Need five minutes to decide on a safety? It's your own time, but you better play fast otherwise.

The penalty for running out of time was that your opponent got pro-rated points according to how much time was left on his clock. If he had 20 minutes left, he got 40 balls. That was at straight pool. For rack-based games you could do something similar or simply give a separate time for each rack. As it turned out, no one ever ran out of time. 30 seconds per ball is plenty. The pressure from the clock was sufficient to make the snails move it.

A huge advantage over the traditional shot clock is that no operator is needed. You could have all matches on the clock with no additional staff.

In Europe chess clocks are routinely used for billiard matches in league play.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
45second shot clock with NO extension is all the game needs. i'm talking rotation/14.1 here. one-pocket is a different story imo.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You can set a delay (much as you like) before it starts the players clock(time bank)

You can also set them to add time on shots they shoot fast to build up time to use later.

Chess clocks have lots of functions to speed up the game and not ruin the game.

Pool will never be able to adapt them, I’ll leave it at that…..

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my experience a chess clock is much, much better than the standard pool shot clock with a fixed time.
you're probably right. never seen it used in pool. don't play chess. too dumb/impatient. ;) more of a horseshoe/lawn-dart kinda guy. ;)

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
In my experience a chess clock is much, much better than the standard pool shot clock with a fixed time.
Bob, I like the shot clock….accumulated time can be unfair….tight tables, humid conditions, sometimes a safety battle can slow things down by creating more turns at the table rather than more time over the ball. I’ve seen 15 minute 9-ball games that were exciting, with great traps and great escapes.
….the longest game at the Crucible, at that time, took over 76 minutes…all shots were done in a very reasonable time, there were just a lot of them….the clock should penalize the stallers rather than players who can escape traps.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... sometimes a safety battle can slow things down by creating more turns at the table rather than more time over the ball. I’ve seen 15 minute 9-ball games that were exciting, with great traps and great escapes.
Modern chess clocks can include an added time per inning, such as 20 seconds. That can allow for extended safety battles but you have to keep things moving.

maxeypad2007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
shot clocks penalize people who literally move slower. make it a minute per shot and perhaps we can figure something out. if you need to get a bridge too bad. if you drop chalk too bad. shot clocks make no sense for casual play

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Here is the wikipedia post on Chess Clocks. I think it could work but today games are already 30 sec shot clock.

I'm not sure if the chess clock can improve on that.

Sure it could. It would give you more time on a difficult shot that requires more time to think about it when you can fire in easy shots in 10 seconds or less. If you're playing a five or seven minute game, you can bank a couple of minutes for those difficult shots.

Jaden