• Successful Sharking Move

Votes: 21 13.4%
  • Other (Explain)

Votes: 7 4.5%

• Total voters

NateSchoepf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
to all those who say it is a chickenchit move you are completely wrong, you don't get to decide when your apponent should give you a shot, never, no matter how good you think you are. shoot it in or go home, stop complaining about someone who makes you shoot, if its so easy why are you complaining? Just shoot the ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, and I don't think it is a move at all, its just the rules.

hilla_hilla

I'd rather be foosing it!
Silver Member
If I were playing another girl in a tournament, I might make her shoot the ball in too, dependent upon her skill level. If I am playing a high caliber player, I would conceed. Playing at the caliber these two players play at, it sounds like a cheap way to win to me. But that's just my opinion.

Paul Mon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with Jeremy, All of the Above. I keep hearing what a great guy Hillbilly is but these stories keep coming up. I witnessed in person his complete lack of respect for Jose Parica at Derby City 2007. Hillbilly arrives late for their match and immediately starts giving Parica crap about where to sit, where he can leave his towel, where he's leaning his cues, how much practice he's entitled to, on and on. He was trying to get Parica worked up even before the match started. Parica racks for the first game and Hillbilly dosen't like the way he's racking. Finally Jose lets Hillbilly rack his own. They played one game, Parica wins and Hillbilly takes a time out. It was embarassing to watch.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Smorgass Bored said:
Crawfish says that players have been conceding balls in 10 tournament underway on UStream.

So, Russell Sasser misses the 8 ball and 'Hilbilly' Bryant has b.i.h. and with the score tied 1-1, he scratches on the 10 ball, leaving it in the center of the table.

Russell rakes the 10 and racks the balls and Hillbilly says, "I didn't give you that shot." They go ask TD Jay Helfert and Jay makes them unrack the balls and gives Hillbilly b.i.h. on the 10 ball.

Russell goes in the tank for the next few games, but is fighting his way back. How would you call it ?
Crawfish and JoeyA. say that they are not playing conceding the ball is loss of that game and the ensuing game. Besides, the ball wasn't conceded anyway.

Doug

Hillbilly is technically right. But, where in the hell did Jay come up with that rule. A ball is replaced only when someone inadvertantly touches a ball and then it may be replaced or if a ball is hanging and happens to fall while the other play is down to shoot at it or has taken his turn at the table.

I don't understand this at all. The grabbing the ball blew it.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
perfectpocketz said:
Hillbilly is a good friend and a nice guy. When you're under the pressure of a tournament match, with short races every game becomes important. I wouldn't think Charlie was trying to pull any moves, if he wanted to give the 10-ball up, he would've raked the ball himself.

You never touch the balls playing until your opponent rakes the ball or says that's good, no matter where the ball is setting.

Bottom line, Charlie was pissed that he scratched on the 10-ball, and didn't give it up.
Russell should've just shot the 10-ball in the pocket, knowing Charlie was hot.
Believe me I see Russell's point as well, and Charlie should've over looked him raking the 10.

It's truly a tough call either way when other players are giving up balls at the same time you make a good player shoot the 10-ball with ball-n-hand.

Mark Gregory

I agree with everything you say here, but, why would Jay replace the ball have him shoot it. Seems crazy to me.

GMAC

Flip it.
Silver Member
I disagree

SpiderWebComm said:
Russell made the error. He should have just shot it in - he's in a tournament. The mistake was his. You don't see pro golfers raking away 2-footers in the masters, right? He gave Hillbilly an opening by not shooting and Hillbilly took it, knowing he'd win.

Frankly, I wouldn't have done that. HOWEVER, if I was trying to make a living at the game, I might be forced to do it. Kill or be killed when your bills are on the line. I don't fault Charlie, I fault Russell.

When golfers are in match play tournaments they concede putts all the time. If Charlie had conceded the 10 any game before this then did what he did it is a horrible move. If he never conceded the 10 up to that point than Rus should know better.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SpiderWebComm said:
Russell made the error...if I was trying to make a living at the game, I might be forced to do it. Kill or be killed when your bills are on the line. I don't fault Charlie, I fault Russell.

What he said.

Ktown D

Neverwuzzz
Silver Member
ironman said:
I agree with everything you say here, but, why would Jay replace the ball have him shoot it. Seems crazy to me.
The ball was never legally pocketed. It spots and Charlie gets BIH to pocket it.

But what do I know?

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guys, guys. It wasn't quite that heated. He overheard me telling the story and said, "Hey, I didn't give him that shot." Whatever. I just didn't expect that kind of thing out of Charlie. Oh well. I guess we can never take that kind of thing for granted.

Hey, I maybe shouldn't have said anything at all, but I didn't expect to see that kind of thing go down. I was more upset that I almost lost on Wiseman, Monday. He pulled it off, though.

It was cool to see all of the guys again and also meeting our own JoeyA. Although I couldn't make it down but for one day, my buddy and me made the most of it. Helluva field. I'd hate to have a daily dose of that crowd. Joey was just getting to play in the one pocket. Oh, and I saw Deadpoked and chatted for a while with Helfert. Good dude.

Last edited:

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Actually

akaTrigger said:
Hillbilly had the option to say something. In some tournaments/tours it is a rule to not concede. And if you do something like Russell did, it would be a foul.

However, if it wasn't a "rule" of this tournament, seems kind of "nitpicky." I bet Russell is livid!

What Russell did WAS a foul. that's why Charlie now had ball in hand.

When there's the no concession rule, one usually loses an additional game as well! :shocked:

The problem here is, Russell conceded to HIMSELF! Can't do that!

Especially against a Pro. It was an amateur mistake.

Ray

tigerseye

Kenny Wilson
Silver Member
Smorgass Bored said:
Crawfish says that players have been conceding balls in 10 tournament underway on UStream.

So, Russell Sasser misses the 8 ball and 'Hilbilly' Bryant has b.i.h. and with the score tied 1-1, he scratches on the 10 ball, leaving it in the center of the table.

Russell rakes the 10 and racks the balls and Hillbilly says, "I didn't give you that shot." They go ask TD Jay Helfert and Jay makes them unrack the balls and gives Hillbilly b.i.h. on the 10 ball.

Russell goes in the tank for the next few games, but is fighting his way back. How would you call it ?
Crawfish and JoeyA. say that they are not playing conceding the ball is loss of that game and the ensuing game. Besides, the ball wasn't conceded anyway.

Doug

Sure it is b.s. that Bryant would call that on him but this is for a few dollars and the rules are the rules....I can't believe that russell didn't check b4 swiping up the 10-ball.... He knows better than that=)

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Smorgass Bored said:

Doug

After reading this again, I think that just the fact that Russell had to take it all the way to the TD, instead of simply "conceding" that he was wrong, shows what an "in your face" move the rake was.

That being said, I am from Texas, I DO know Charlie. I do not know Russell. I know Charlie can be annoying at times. He like to have loud conversations while you're at the table. He DOES know the rules though, and he was in the right on this one.

Ray
(IMO)

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
That's What I'm Known For......My Opinion (imo)

tigerseye said:
Sure it is b.s. that Bryant would call that on him but this is for a few dollars and the rules are the rules....I can't believe that russell didn't check b4 swiping up the 10-ball.... He knows better than that=)

Well, it turned out that there was no rule against conceding balls and players on the other tables had been conceding balls all the while. Most conceded balls were conceded because it was an easy shot.

In this case, it was Ball-In-Hand on the last ball and that ball was in the middle of table, not on a rail or on the side pocket tip.

It's true that Russell just figured that Charlie wasn't going to make him shoot this simple b.i.h., but waiting until Russell had picked it up and racked the balls before saying anything is what upset many.

It was a two game swing and the final score was 9-7 Hillbilly. It clearly played a roll in the outcome of the match.

Doug
(all imo of course.......and I don't fault Jay Helfert for making the proper decision)

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
Chicken shit move, but assuming that a player is going to concede a game deciding ball regardless of bih isn't very smart either.

I can remember scratching on the 9 ball one time when I first started playing pool. The guy I was playing looked at me and said really smart "You actually want me to shoot that?" I told him yea where he lined up perfectly straight into the side and drew the cb perfectly straight into the opposite side giving me the match.

akaTrigger

Hi!
Silver Member
Bigtruck said:
What Russell did WAS a foul. that's why Charlie now had ball in hand.

When there's the no concession rule, one usually loses an additional game as well! :shocked:

The problem here is, Russell conceded to HIMSELF! Can't do that!

Especially against a Pro. It was an amateur mistake.

Ray

No, actually, Charlie has ball in hand because he said something. :)

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
Bigtruck said:
After reading this again, I think that just the fact that Russell had to take it all the way to the TD, instead of simply "conceding" that he was wrong, shows what an "in your face" move the rake was.

Ray
(IMO)

If I understood Crawfish correctly, Russell didn't take it to TD Jay H., Hillbilly did.
Jay had no choice in his decision. imo

Doug

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Feisty

akaTrigger said:
No, actually, Charlie has ball in hand because he said something. :)

Wow! Feisty this morning!! and wrong.

example: You break and fly the cue ball off the table. It's a foul because you flew the cue ball off the table. Not because your opponent "says something". FYI.

Have a good day!

Ray
(I love that Frech maid) and the one who posted her! ;)

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ok

Smorgass Bored said:
If I understood Crawfish correctly, Russell didn't take it to TD Jay H., Hillbilly did.
Jay had no choice in his decision. imo

Doug

Russell let it go that far!

Ray
(IMO)

akaTrigger

Hi!
Silver Member
Bigtruck said:
Wow! Feisty this morning!! and wrong.

example: You break and fly the cue ball off the table. It's a foul because you flew the cue ball off the table. Not because your opponent "says something". FYI.

Ray

And I am not being feisty, I'm trying to make a point - even had a smiley face! How is that feisty? :confused:

Yes, Russell fouled. But he ONLY had ball in hand because Charlie said something.