Votes: 21 13.4%
  • Other (Explain)

Votes: 7 4.5%

• Total voters

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Smorgass Bored said:
Russell rakes the 10 and racks the balls and Hillbilly says, "I didn't give you that shot." They go ask TD Jay Helfert and Jay makes them unrack the balls and gives Hillbilly b.i.h. on the 10 ball.

Doug

It is amazing to read so many posts that reflect sense of entitlement and how pervasive it is in pool circles.

Charlie Bryant does not deserve those labels.
Charlie bryant is a pro player and like many pro players he is programed to follow the rules of the game.Pro rules warrant you to make the opponent shoot the last ball into the pocket. Instead of shooting the 10 ball with ball in hand his opponent picked the 10 ball with his hand and started racking the balls and that is a foul under any rules.perfect example of sense of entitlement/disrespect for the rules.

Jay made the correct decision.

conceding by others in that tournament does not make conceding legal.We hear about burglaries and murders everyday and it does not mean burglaries and murders are legal.:thumbup:

Last edited:

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Smorgass Bored said:
Because I had a phonecall from Joey when it happened, who gave the phone to Crawfish and they both asked me to post it here and ask the Forum's opinion on what had happened. OK ?

Doug
(I'll try to get your permission next time..... OK ?)

Unwrap that cat and let it loose on them:D

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Race2-9 said:
My question is why bring this up on the forum instead of talking to each other? Sounds/looks like stirring the pot to me! BTW I am friends with Charlie but I don't know what I would have done, probably let it go and said to him not to do it again. JMO
Hey, I didn't put the post up. I have known Charlie even back when he lived in NC. He used to come up and match up with quite a few of us "hillbillies." I just thought it was uncalled for and I had never seen this happen before. Joey was sitting right beside me and I was explaining it to him when Doug (Smorg) was on the phone. Whatever. I just don't agree with the "WAY" it happened. But, hey, I'm not in the match. But, If I spent money to watch a tourney, I can surely voice my opinion to someone sitting beside me. He just happened to hear me. Ca Sara, Sara. I don't mean to offend or make Charlie mad. I just couldn't believe that actual way it happened. Let's not make a big thing of it. Russell already knew he shouldn't have done it. Why don't we just drop it?

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
crawfish said:
Hey, I didn't put the post up. I have known Charlie even back when he lived in NC. He used to come up and match up with quite a few of us "hillbillies." I just thought it was uncalled for and I had never seen this happen before. Joey was sitting right beside me and I was explaining it to him when Doug (Smorg) was on the phone. Whatever. I just don't agree with the "WAY" it happened. But, hey, I'm not in the match. But, If I spent money to watch a tourney, I can surely voice my opinion to someone sitting beside me. He just happened to hear me. Ca Sara, Sara. I don't mean to offend or make Charlie mad. I just couldn't believe that actual way it happened. Let's not make a big thing of it. Russell already knew he shouldn't have done it. Why don't we just drop it?

LOL :) Now I see how you got that user name, Crawfish.
Doug

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Smorgass Bored said:
LOL :) Now I see how you got that user name, Crawfish.
Doug

Hey, I don't agree with what he did, or how he did it. I'm glad that wasn't me it happened to. But, you wouldn't believe the negative crap people have been sending me. Come on, you had to be there, guys. Sure, he was within the rules. But, wow. I would never pull that card. Even if it was the difference is a couple of hundred.

Actually, I might have posted it myself. I mean, he went straight to Jay. Russell was in shock. Within the rules, yes. Normal in the pool world between two good players, probably not the best way to post a win. In my opinion.

Last edited:

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
crawfish said:
Hey, I don't agree with what he did, or how he did it. I'm glad that wasn't me it happened to. But, you wouldn't believe the negative crap people have been sending me. Come on, you had to be there, guys. Sure, he was within the rules. But, wow. I would never pull that card. Even if it was the difference is a couple of hundred.
We all have standards... some are just higher than others.

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Respect

crawfish said:

I think what happened was more about respect. We all see top players conceding 1-2-3 even 4 balls to each other. If one doesn't do it to YOU, then he's(without saying it) dis-respecting your game.

Russell probably sees himself on a more even playing level with Charlie and couldn't believe Charlie wasn't giving him the respect.

Ray
(last name not Wapner)

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"brain Fart"....

Bigtruck said:
What Russell did WAS a foul. that's why Charlie now had ball in hand.

When there's the no concession rule, one usually loses an additional game as well! :shocked:

The problem here is, Russell conceded to HIMSELF! Can't do that!

Especially against a Pro. It was an amateur mistake.

Ray

Bet he won't do that again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

td

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great post..........

A FREE lesson to all of us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOOOOOO brain farts allowed!!

td

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lol

grindz said:
A FREE lesson to all of us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOOOOOO brain farts allowed!!

td

Humans WILL be human!! LOL

Here's another thread, same topic!!!!

Conceding

Ray
(never concedes) most of the time

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
danged med's!

Smorgass Bored said:
Because I had a phonecall from Joey when it happened, who gave the phone to Crawfish and they both asked me to post it here and ask the Forum's opinion on what had happened. OK ?

Doug
(I'll try to get your permission next time..... OK ?)

Doug,

You mean to tell us you let JoeyA get you into all this mess? Don't you know by now that our pal Joey would rather agitate than eat ice cream? Must be the med's cause I know that you are too sharp to get tricked like this normally.

Write one up for Joey on the wall, he got ya!

Hu

Cuebacca

________
Silver Member
gunzby said:
I can remember scratching on the 9 ball one time when I first started playing pool. The guy I was playing looked at me and said really smart "You actually want me to shoot that?" I told him yea where he lined up perfectly straight into the side and drew the cb perfectly straight into the opposite side giving me the match.

LOL. Good story but I was surprised he conceded the match after that? He should have spotted the 9 to make you shoot it with ball in hand! Guess he didn't learn anything from what had just happened. :rotflmao1:

ccshrimper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I should have rephrased my post. I pretty much agree with crawfish's post above. With two good players unless the 10-ball is on the tit of the side pocket you just about always concede the ball unless the rules tell you not to. In my mind it was a move to get into the other guys head by making him shoot the ball, like bigtruck said it showed a lack of respect for his game.

One question Crawfish, was it rack your own? If it was loser racks and Hillbilly didn't get up to rack then it should have been obvious what was happening. It was rack your own I could see how he just assumed the ball was given.

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
I always make them shoot the last ball even a hanger. If you respect someone games so much, why not just give them the match.

Making someone shoot the last ball, even a hanger is not a sign of disrespect of the other player, but a respect for the rules of the game.

I do not like being given the last ball. When people try, I say "Thanks, but no thanks", and go ahead make the shot.

Last 8 ball tourney, in two different games, I made the other guy shoot the 8, even tho they were very simple straight in shots, guess what, he rattle them both. I won both those games.

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't care if you are playing your buddy for a beer or playing a big time tournament for thousands of dollars. You should NEVER assume any ball is conceeded. JMHO.

TorranceChris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Smorgass Bored said:
It was a two game swing and the final score was 9-7 Hillbilly. It clearly played a roll in the outcome of the match.

Doug

I just think Smorg is hungry all the time!! :grin:

hillbilly

Pro Player
Who are you to judge?

This is Heather, Charlie's wife. I have read through every single comment and response on this topic and I just had to say something. Charlie does this for a living. It pays our bills and feeds our family. Threre is alot of pressure on a professional player when we fights hard to win and has to walk away empty handed. That kind of pressure tends to make these guys a little testy. I have seen the nicest people turn into *****s when they get anywhere near a pool table.

Sometimes Charlie concedes, sometimes he doesn't. It is well within his right to make that decision for himself and no one else should ever take it upon themselves to do it for him. It was offensive and if it were me, would not have been met with such a proper response as calling a foul.

I find it hard to believe that any of you who are slinging around the awful comments and criticizms can say that you have never done anything that can be misconstrued as 'sharking'. I guess it takes a shark to recognize sharking, huh?

For all of you who stood up for Charlie's decision, thank you for the support and he did get to read them all. He appreciates everything and hopes you all the best.

Heather Bryant

Sam Waltz

My way...
Silver Member
With the pool world being put on a public stage via the live streaming of major tournaments those icons of the sport shall be placed under a microscope and examined by eyes who otherwise wouldn't have a clue of some of the things that go on at the national or international tournament level. Allthough I disagree with the choice Charlie made in this instance, I believe that none of us should sit here and post judgement on him as a pool player or even consider the thought of making an estimation of his personal character due to one action that's been brought to the public's eye. If all of us were placed under the same scrutiny would we shine without flaw or would we run to the shadows in fear of our dark little secrets being shown to the world?

Folks, Charlie Bryant didn't cheat and no matter whether you agree or disagree with his actions they were perfectly within his rights accoring to the rules we play by! Oh and by the way, maybe I'm wrong, but the tournament chart on AZBilliards has his match with Russell Sasser listed as Charlie winning 9-5 not 9-7 so this two game swing mentioned did not directly affect the outcome of this match. I'm sure it changed the mental aspect of both players from it's onset, but IMO with or without this occurance the same player was going on to the next round.

Ok, I've voiced my long winded opinion and everyone's entitled to their own as well. Heather, I can appreciate your comments and hope you will continue standing by your man. It's a real adventure being married to a pool player and I'm sure your up to the test just from reading your post.

Last little note...people who live in glass houses should not cast stones...

Keep hittin' 'em straight folks! :D

Last edited: