China Open Reporting

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I am here courtesy of Fury Cues and CueSight Billiard Supplies to bring you some reports from the China Open.

The venue is a large sports arena in the Pudong section of Shanghai. Shanghai has 30 million residents officially and more unofficially. This area of the city is the less glamorous one.

The host hotel however is five star and for $85 a night that's pretty good.

Back to the venue it's in a stadium and the first thing you see when you arrive is a four foot wide Ralf Souquet on a giant billboard.

Like this:

P6100195.JPG

Around the perimeter of the arena are practice tables and vendor booths. Most of the vendor booths are not yet set up. The table sponsor has two booths full of cases and other accessories emblazoned with the event logo. The hats are very good quality and this reporter needed a new hat so that was a good way to invest $5.

The tables are copies of the Brunswick Gold Crown 5. They appear to be set up well and I am told that the cloth is very fast. The lighting isn't good though as they are using the stadium's light which are very bright with lots of glare but also leave a lot of shadows on the table. Also the practice tables are practically in the dark so it's not really a very good transition. The players are not allowed to shoot even one practice rack on the tournament tables.

But overall the venue is fairly professional with plenty of room for the players. Each table has professional looking referees with white gloves and shot clocks.

There is one tv table that is separated from the rest. The tournament is being shown live in the local sports channel. Inexplicably the hotel does not have that channel in their lineup and they are one of the sponsors.

Yang Chin Shun played Marlon Manalo and won 11-6. It really is too bad that the rest of the Filipino elite are not present. I will try and speak to Ian Anderson about this later.

P6100187.JPG

Kelly Fisher played Gerda Hofstatter and Gerda jumped out to a 5:1 lead due to several uncharacteristic errors on Kelly's part. I left since we are sponsoring Kelly and I felt like I was sharking her in some way. I came back later to see the score at 6:6 and Kelly went on to win it 9:7. Kelly blamed the lighting situation for the misses and went on to say that once she adjusted to it things went well.

P6100189.JPG

In other personal news - the is the first time a JB Case is on tv as I have just delivered a custom case to Veronique Menard who had the good fortune to draw Pan Xiao Ting in her first match.

Win or lose Veronique will look good. :)

Be back later with more reports. Sarah Rousey is playing now. Jason Klatt lost to Niels Feijen. Jeanette lost to a Taiwanese player 9:4 - Allison Fisher lost to another Taiwanese player 9:8.

Last edited:

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Thanks John for the report brother, btw how is the little one doing, got any new pics? :smile:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
End of Day One

Well day one wrapped up and the players are all tucked into bed. I have now found and internet connection on the tournament floor so I will be updating throughout the day.

AZ's Little Pony, Sarah "The Wavemaker" Rousey, started out strong against - who knows since the organizers don't see fit to write the names in English of the Chinese and Taiwanese participants - but I think Sarah's opponent is one of the Taiwanese contingent - at 5:2. Sadly Sarah lost 9:7 though.

P6100205.JPG

Getting back to the lighting situation in the practice areas here is what the players have to warm up:

P6100233.JPG

In the other practice area two of the three tables are a little better.

For OMGWTF - notice the peach and green and brown and white top on display here......this is supposed to be the 'uniform" that all the players are required to wear - except that the organizers somehow forgot that the foreign players come in slightly larger sizes than the average Asian. So the foreign players protested and were granted exemptions. The other sad part about this is that the sponsor's embroidered logos are completely lost in the sea of horrid that makes up these tops.

P6100223.JPG

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Time for a word from our sponsor: Fury Cues make you stroke like a champion, Bob was just a lowly APA 3 before he got his Fury Cue - Now, Bob is covered in Break and Run Patches and regularly spanks Travis Trotter's dad in races to five. Bob says, "since I started stroking with my Fury I am not afraid of any balls!" - Stroke a Fury Today!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Here Oscar Dominguez is on his way to victory:

P6100239.JPG

Overheard this morning at breakfast:

Jeff Deluna from the Philippines asks the player next to him where he is from. The players says, "Taiwan". Jeff says, "oh, which team?" The player from Taiwan says, "there is only one."

This illustrates the different approach that Taiwan and the Philippines have when it comes to pool. Wonder what Gabe Owen's response would have been had Jeff asked him the same question.....

I spoke with Ian Anderson for a moment and he has promised to give me some time to speak about the state of pool and the WPA's role. I have told him I will ask the hard questions that all of us pool fans want answers to.

The knick-knack booth: I think the hats are the best thing there. I don't know why there is a poster advertising the International Woman 9-Ball Championship - must be a tournament for the modern "international" woman. :)

P6100226.JPG

Til next time, your roving reporter at the China Open.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
On the tables in front of me we have Charlie Williams vs. I have no idea (Taiwan?) and Shane Van Boening vs. I also have no idea.

It's 1:0 Charlie and 0:1 against Shane - oops Shane just broke and ran out in like less time than I can type this sentence so it's 1:1 in Shane's match.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Shane gets out again to move ahead 2:1 - Charlie is at 1:1 - Dleuna over Wen at 1:0

Mika is up 2:0

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Karen Korr is the brightest spot in the room as she is wearing a pink striped shirt that appears to be one of the organizer's provided shirts. It reminds me of when my screen breaks and all I see are lines of light and color. Her opponent is also wearing a similar one in lemon lime colors - they can distract each other with the attire.

mikyor

Registered
what channel?

Is it possible to view this event using tvAnts? I do not know which channel this event is being televised on.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I really do sound like OMGWTF - because I jsut watched DeLuna make a razor thin cut on the one to bring the cueball back and forth four times to get shape on a 2:9 combo and the question in my mind is "are those parachute pants he has on?" Seriously Deluna has a bright green shirt and what looks nylon jeans on. ???? But he is 4:0 ahead of one of China's best so it must be working for him.

SVB - 3:2
CW - 2:2
Mika 3:2

Other people - don't know who they are or can't see the score.

Sarah "the wavemaker" Rousey won her 12:00pm match against new JB Case owner Veronique Menard. Veronique is now just a tourist. Jason Klatt won his match as well so the dynamic duo is still in action.

A little birdie told me that Sarah was dismissed as being insignifcant in the pool world. Well coincindentally I saw a documentary the other day on alternative energy and the program concluded that wave energy is likely to be that which saves the planet. So keep making waves Sarah!

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Is it possible to view this event using tvAnts? I do not know which channel this event is being televised on.

If so then it will be on CCTV 5. It's being broadcast on the local sports channel but I doubt that is carried on any of the P2P providers.

Ralf Souquet is playing on the TV table now and it's on teh big screen in the arena - kinda cool there! Ralf is breaking and it appears to be 1:2 but I don't know for whom as they have written Ralf's name in Chinese.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Jeff Deluna is sitting at 5:0 and looking at an easy last four balls. SVB just missed and easy 6 ball to go up 5:2 and now it's 4:3. CW - running out to make it 4:3 if he gets there. Mika sitting at 4:3

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Jeff Deluna is sitting at 5:0 and looking at an easy last four balls. SVB just missed and easy 6 ball to go up 5:2 and now it's 4:3. CW - running out to make it 4:3 if he gets there. Mika sitting at 4:3

Can you tell if SVB is playing with his CUETEC?

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Ralf is down 2:3

Le He Wen jumps in a ball and immediately has to do it again and narrowly misses the second one.

SVB is now at 5:3 - Li He Wen jumps for the third time and makes contact and leaves Deluna a backwards cut that he slams in like it's nothing - now Deluna is facing a straight in five ball and he forces the cueball forward two rails for shape on teh six and then MISSES the six trying to babythe cue ball for shape on teh 7.

Wen may get on teh board here - he does 6:1 Deluna.

SVB is at 5:4 CW at 4:4 Mika at 4:4 - Gabica is at 5:3

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Can you tell if SVB is playing with his CUETEC?

He is not. Chris reported that he would be switching to Cuetec after the Quatar event coming up. He is however wearing the Cuetec logo.

Shane's opponent just made a 2:9 combo and now it's 5:5

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Jeff Deluna is about to make it 7:1 - he does look like an angry bull the way he attacks the bals.

Mika is now down 4:5 and his opponent is running out to make it 4:6.

The tournament is alternate breaks by the way.

Stroking Fury cues makes you grow more hair if you are a guy and enlarges your breasts if you are a woman. :)