Chinese 8-ball event in LA

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Many of these matches are up on youtube. I watched the finals last night. Potts is amazing. Never watched him before and I was very impressed. Would love to see him play SVB some long sets of American 8-ball. Pinpoint position and doesn't seem to ever miss.

Here are the finals. You can find the rest of them on this guy's youtube channel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLFRaudOvtI

Thanks for the link, caught the first couple of breaks so far and that practice thing he does - Mr. Potts.
Li Hewen looked like he knows that it's not going to be good day.
Potts pops them in there solid and still has that soft push off or draw making shape look easy, good stuff.
The moneys' good I guess, it's just a shame that that talent doesn't have a bigger draw, show kind of thing.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Shane misses shots on these tables that he doesn't miss on American cut pockets. But maybe Gareth does too? It would be great to watch.

I think the biggest advantage Gareth has over Shane at Chinese 8-ball is the cloth...
...directional nap takes a bit getting used to.
If you’re spinning with or against the nap, it’s two different aims.
...against the nap, the cue ball deflects a little wide off the tip.
Cross nap spins are subtly tricky also.

Take that edge away from Gareth on a worsted cloth and Shane’s chances improve
immensely.

I have a snooker background....when you play a lot on directional nap, you adjust automatically...
...some snooker players don’t seem to know the difference, they just play naturally....
...but put them on a snooker table where the cloth has been installed backwards....
....and they go crazy.
...one of the action rooms back in the day installed the cloth wrong intentionally...
...and a lot of visiting road players went broke there.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I have a snooker background....when you play a lot on directional nap, you adjust automatically...
...some snooker players don’t seem to know the difference, they just play naturally....
...but put them on a snooker table where the cloth has been installed backwards....
....and they go crazy.
...one of the action rooms back in the day installed the cloth wrong intentionally...
...and a lot of visiting road players went broke there.
Many years ago Mosconi played a series of matches with a snooker player in the US playing pool and snooker. Maybe Rex Reardon? Charlton? Anyway at one venue they installed the snooker cloth upside down. That's how it was described, but maybe it was reversed baulk/top. Mosconi won that leg of the snooker.

Boddabing

Registered
Shane v G. Potts

Very interesting concept for an 8 ball challenge. If I was a big pool promoter I would be very keen to develop a workable platform for this to happen. Lets get a few facts straight though! Gareth Potts is seen as the supreme master of English billiards, thats small ball pool on slow cloth with snooker style pockets with a 17/8 cue ball and 2 inch size object balls. That's it - you read right! 17/8 inch cue ball. So if Shane wants to seriously challenge Gareth at that game he better get used to playing with an ash snooker style English pool cue with a 8 - 8.5mm tip. Uh, I don't know what that is in inches for our American friends but you can get a conversion table lol. There is always a flipside to that coin. To sway the advantage over to Shane you would definitley favour him over Potts on a diamond table even with 41/8 cut pockets with fast Simonis 860 cloth. I am not saying its the rule of thumb as there are no dead certs in pool - we all know that but what I am getting at is eradicating the dead cert of Potts being favorite at 8 ball period no matter what platform because that is ridiculous even to suggest that. I'll give you a good example.
Darren Appleton's WPS tournaments when all the English pool stars like,Mick Hill etc came out it was very interesting to see how quickly he adapted to big ball pool with fast cloth etc. not that he is a slouch on the American 8 ball fornat. The speed of the tale caught him out straight away and you could see he was not all that comfortable but don't take anything away from Mick Hill - he is one of the very best 8 ball players period if not the best. Alls I'm saying is that you can't favor one player over the next in 8 ball without having the platform debate. So that said I would have a dual table challenge 8 ball match race to 12 on each of the two platform tables - diamond 9 footer with 41/8 pockets for the American 8 ball and a 7footer supreme table for the English pool match up and then have a decider on a chinese 8 ball table.

Hows that - interested to hear players and pool fans comments on this alike.
Thanks for your interest peeps. Lets keep pool buzzin and alive Godbless you all

Boddabing

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very interesting concept for an 8 ball challenge. If I was a big pool promoter I would be very keen to develop a workable platform for this to happen. Lets get a few facts straight though! Gareth Potts is seen as the supreme master of English billiards, thats small ball pool on slow cloth with snooker style pockets with a 17/8 cue ball and 2 inch size object balls. That's it - you read right! 17/8 inch cue ball. So if Shane wants to seriously challenge Gareth at that game he better get used to playing with an ash snooker style English pool cue with a 8 - 8.5mm tip. Uh, I don't know what that is in inches for our American friends but you can get a conversion table lol. There is always a flipside to that coin. To sway the advantage over to Shane you would definitley favour him over Potts on a diamond table even with 41/8 cut pockets with fast Simonis 860 cloth. I am not saying its the rule of thumb as there are no dead certs in pool - we all know that but what I am getting at is eradicating the dead cert of Potts being favorite at 8 ball period no matter what platform because that is ridiculous even to suggest that. I'll give you a good example.
Darren Appleton's WPS tournaments when all the English pool stars like,Mick Hill etc came out it was very interesting to see how quickly he adapted to big ball pool with fast cloth etc. not that he is a slouch on the American 8 ball fornat. The speed of the tale caught him out straight away and you could see he was not all that comfortable but don't take anything away from Mick Hill - he is one of the very best 8 ball players period if not the best. Alls I'm saying is that you can't favor one player over the next in 8 ball without having the platform debate. So that said I would have a dual table challenge 8 ball match race to 12 on each of the two platform tables - diamond 9 footer with 41/8 pockets for the American 8 ball and a 7footer supreme table for the English pool match up and then have a decider on a chinese 8 ball table.

Hows that - interested to hear players and pool fans comments on this alike.
Thanks for your interest peeps. Lets keep pool buzzin and alive Godbless you all

Boddabing

SVB wouldn’t stand a chance on the English tables (even if they are the same size as US bar boxes ;-)

He would be favourite on the American tables of course, but would then lose in a decider against Potts, probably Hill too, but perhaps more even (not sure, I know Hill has had some good runs on Chinese and American tables, so can play with the larger balls).

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regarding table/ball size, compare how Benji performed in Leende vs SVB and the Americans. Not sure what to take from it, except that English players (even on GB 9 tour) aren’t as well versed on these larger sizes.

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many years ago Mosconi played a series of matches with a snooker player in the US playing pool and snooker. Maybe Rex Reardon? Charlton? Anyway at one venue they installed the snooker cloth upside down. That's how it was described, but maybe it was reversed baulk/top. Mosconi won that leg of the snooker.

No Bob it was not RAY Reardon or Eddie Charlton. It was Rex WILLIAMS. I met every top player from the late 50s to the present day and Rex is the only player whom I held in awe because he oozed charisma.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regarding table/ball size, compare how Benji performed in Leende vs SVB and the Americans. Not sure what to take from it, except that English players (even on GB 9 tour) aren’t as well versed on these larger sizes.

We don't really have bar boxes here in the UK, anyone playing 9-Ball here is playing on 9 foot tables.

Most people start off on 7 foot tables admittedly, but those are the English/UK style ones.

So anyone playing on GB9 is playing exclusively on 9 foot tables (so if anyone under performed its nothing to do with table size)!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
No Bob it was not RAY Reardon or Eddie Charlton. It was Rex WILLIAMS. I met every top player from the late 50s to the present day and Rex is the only player whom I held in awe because he oozed charisma.

I also remember that match (there is actually an edited video of it out there somewhere) and Mosconi set it up to give himself an advantage as I recall with more weight given to Pool games than Snooker. I think Williams beat Mosconi in a 9-Ball set and Willie actually won a Snooker match from Williams (I could be wrong but I do remember it did not follow completely true to form). The Straight Pool was the decider (just the way Willie wanted it) and of course he won that one handily.

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I also remember that match (there is actually an edited video of it out there somewhere) and Mosconi set it up to give himself an advantage as I recall with more weight given to Pool games than Snooker. I think Williams beat Mosconi in a 9-Ball set and Willie actually won a Snooker match from Williams (I could be wrong but I do remember it did not follow completely true to form). The Straight Pool was the decider (just the way Willie wanted it) and of course he won that one handily.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=6112771&postcount=131

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=6112779&postcount=132

Last edited:

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
in a recent 16 man invitational Potts put a 9 pack on Yang Fan :eek: the man is a beast.

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Rex Williams is a real class act. He told me that when he toured with Willie it was
five star hotels and top class restaurants all the way.

He last played in the ill fated 1999 World 9 Ball Championship which was held in Alicante in Spain. The WPA held an event where the prize fund was less than $25,000
while Matchroom held the WORLD PROFESSIONAL POOL CHAMPIONSHIP in Cardiff
where the Winner alone (Efren Reyes) picked up $100,000.