Chris Henry - The Balls

Sensation

right there
Silver Member
Can anyone weight the 2 different balls and tell me the results for both of them ?
Thanks !
1000000810.jpg

Last edited:

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
If you don't get a response, I'll weigh them when I get home in a few hours. They are def pretty light.

-td

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In the video Henry says that the object ball is 90% lighter than a normal ball. That would put it at 17 or 20 grams, or slightly over half an ounce.

If you want to see whether you are hitting the cue ball off-center, I think this training ball works pretty well.

1713979377600.png

There is a narrow white stripe around the equator. Place that stripe so it will roll like a tire if you hit the cue ball without side spin. In fact, a normal striped ball will work for this practice. The training ball is nice because the stripe is narrower and gives you a better target for centering your cue tip.

If you want to see if you are hitting the object ball off-center on a straight shot, I think it is sufficient to shoot long, straight shots with normal balls. Try to follow straight forward or draw straight back. Use the training ball to see if you put side spin on the cue ball.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO, all the training aids for a straight stroke on a straight shot can and often do fall apart during a real game when cutting a ball in with spin. I think it has to do with the eye alignment to the shot. The CB never goes straight when it has english, so the eyes end up steering the stroke crooked.

I personally think practicing a low outside high speed and long distance shot will get one a better stroke than the up and down rolling CB test, and similar tests.

That's just my opinion:)

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
In the video Henry says that the object ball is 90% lighter than a normal ball. That would put it at 17 or 20 grams, or slightly over half an ounce.

If you want to see whether you are hitting the cue ball off-center, I think this training ball works pretty well.

View attachment 755100
There is a narrow white stripe around the equator. Place that stripe so it will roll like a tire if you hit the cue ball without side spin. In fact, a normal striped ball will work for this practice. The training ball is nice because the stripe is narrower and gives you a better target for centering your cue tip.

If you want to see if you are hitting the object ball off-center on a straight shot, I think it is sufficient to shoot long, straight shots with normal balls. Try to follow straight forward or draw straight back. Use the training ball to see if you put side spin on the cue ball.

Bob, you're correct on all points of course. The (possible) advantage to "The Balls" is that they don't require any setup like a training ball and provide more tangible feedback (beyond just watching how the stripe or dots rotate). The Styers have some videos of their drills using this product, which perhaps are more "fun" than the standard drills you describe.

I have both the training ball and "The Balls." I will buy lots of crap from pro players.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the video Henry says that the object ball is 90% lighter than a normal ball.

90% less than the weight of a std ball would be 10% of the std ball's weight. x - 90%×x = 10%×x

90% of the weight of a std ball or 10% less than a std ball is what you want.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They seem to be for bonehead jocks who have to miss that bad before they can detect a problem.
On the subject, you can get two perfectly fine cue balls for under 50 bucks.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder if a molding tool was made for these balls, or there was already something close enough and it was re-purposed for these balls.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
hitting up and down instills hitting the cueball exactly where you want. and also that practice engraves speed control in your mind .
there is a gmmick for everything and gimmicks dont usally work and waste time and moeny except for the guy selling them.

this thing i know nothing about and arent going to find out anything about it.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
The title of this and the first reponses, besides mine were classic, before the pic was added for perspective.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
90% less than the weight of a std ball would be 10% of the std ball's weight. x - 90%×x = 10%×x

90% of the weight of a std ball or 10% less than a std ball is what you want.
But the balls weigh about half an ounce. To say that something is 90% lighter is a lousy way to phrase it and is guaranteed to lead to confusion. He should have said that the balls weigh one tenth of the weight of a standard ball.