Chris Reinhold "Frozen ball goes in easier with thicker hit?"

GentlemanJames

I messaged Chris and his response was: "Aim thicker on the object ball so the energy is absorbed more. That follow through helps cut the ball either way"

I guess I'm just not understanding the physics of this shot.
FEELDASHOT - I'd ask him to make a follow-up video, specifically explaining his theory/philosophy on this shot in-depth.

YouTubers are always in need of ideas for more video topics.

Besides, he's the only one who truly knows what's in his mind.

I completely agree, "hit the ball on the thick-side" is sub-standard and wholly subjective instruction - especially in light of all theories and methods of dealing with frozen-to-the-rail shots.

Otherwise, you have do if the old school way, and set-up and shoot the shot 100 times a day, for 100 days, or 50 times a day for 200 days, to get to the "shoot the shot 10,000 times, and then you will know it" method, and in doing so, develop your own theory/philosophy/method for frozen-to-the-rail shots; and not everyone cares to do that or has that kind of time. - GJ

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s not a ball pocketing drill. It’s a cue ball position drill. He is not hitting it thick, to help the object ball go. He is hitting it thick, to get the cue ball back, to continue the drill. In the video, Chris uses the term “rail navigation “ and says hitting it thick makes the shot easier. He’s not saying easier to pocket. He’s saying easier to get back in line.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Chris Reinhold recently posted the below 2 minute yo-yo drill video. ...
I just watched the video.

In the first drill he is using low, outside on frozen rail shots. He is probably using enough outside to either hit the ball first or ball and rail at the same time. Of course that's a fuller hit than one standard method of playing those shots which is to hit the rail before the ball. Rail first is what you have to use for inside english.

The second drill is spot shots set up as half-ball shots. He is mistaken when he calls them wing shots, as others have pointed out.

Spot shot drills have been discussed before. The hardest is where you have to get the cue ball behind the line and play it from where it stops for the next spot shot.

The record for spot-to-spot shots (45-degree cut shots) is held by Kenny Kiddy. I'll give $100 to anyone who beats his record on streamed video.
Here's the story with video... https://wjla.com/news/local/mr-spot-shot-retired-gambler-shares-his-story-of-struggle-and-redemption

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you don't use plenty of outside english (reverse on the cushion) you have to hit the rail first. That's true whether you visualize it that way or not. If you use great steaming gobs of outside spin, you can actually hit the object ball first and get it to go in. See Koehler. See Byrne. See Dr. Dave.

For those interested, this topic is covered in detail (with good video demonstrations) here:

Enjoy!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And to think....so many misconceptions about what happens with moving billiard balls would be easily cleared up, if on the the balls were bigger and the cloth faster
and some slo-mo footage and click:
Screenshot_20221006-095923.jpg