circassian walnut bentwood triangle rack

hunger strike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I am having these bentwood triangles made just like the original Brunswick 1880 patent "pool ball frame" because I wanted a light triangle that is easy to lift away and at the same time has a minimal footprint for racking straight pool to make sure break balls close to the rack near the corners are not "in the rack" and thus you get more break balls that don't get spotted. Anyway, I am going to make extra ones and have the proceeds to go a family who already has 4 children but have taken on 2 foster children so that a brother and sister are not separated. They have expenses. Keep in mind I still have to pay for the triangles as well as the shipping. These triangles would make attractive trophies or prizes. Payment by money order or green dot money card will go directly to the Trout family. Price is $175 for this RARE walnut. I don't even know what my total cost will be yet so depending on the veneer used the cost may go up or down but that is the price for now. PM me your email and I will send pics, or follow this link: http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/s...otsc=SHR/otsi=SPIClink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/ . This one is sold to Ron Russo of NYC who owns a Kling ten footer! I will show example of figure before making, but I can make one more with this exact figuring.

hunger strike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
dark photo on link....

I don't know if it is just my computer but this photo shows up super dark so let me know if you guys see the spectacular figuring of this crotch burl circassian veneer. If not, I can pm you. This took me and a woodworker one week to make in my spare evening time, and it is perfect. I can make them now myself. This one racks perfectly and is a rack you'd want to use playing straight pool. I am going to tap my table in then use this to get the balls over the spots quickly. No corners to get in the way in 14.1.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
I lightened up the photo below - I assume this is closer. I love the way this looks.

Chris

Attachments

• of=50,480,360.jpg
    of=50,480,360.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,683

hunger strike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Thanks, Chris!!!

Appreciate the favor bro. I will consider trades as well. I know this is not cheap but the labor involved in this work of art is rediculous because only two sides can be glued up at a time and that has to be done with certain pressures and with very even glue work. Then the figured veneer has to be selected out, and don't forget about cutting it all straight when figured veneer does not lay down straight. This took a week including a weekend.
Again, thanks.

hunger strike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Good ending to story....

The foster family I have been helping have now had the two foster kids returned to their birth mother and everyone is happy. Thanks to those of you who have helped me to help them over the past six months or so. I am still making these bentwood racks so let me know of any interest; the price will vary quite a bit according to the wood used. I will post pics on here of the ones I make that do not sell immediately.

hunger strike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Still making triangles... will trade for inlay work!!!

I am still making these triangles. There is a surprising amount of work in them. I would like to make a trade with someone, maybe a cuemaker who can do inlays. I want M.O.P squares surrounded by ebony squares on each side of my triangle, exactly like Kling table inlays. I would be happy with just two inlays on each side, so 6 inlays. Anyone want to make a trade? I just gave one of these to Cuephoric so you can ask him about the quality. I make them so that they could pass as original antique triangles, but good enough to rack balls. Not a modern precision rack, but if you tap your table it is still convenient to get the balls quickly rolled to their tapped positions. Let's trade!!!!!

hunger strike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Ebony veneered bentwood triangle rack... just finished

I was commissioned to make this ebony triangle, and I am going to make one more. This turned out perfect. Since some guys are using the Slug Doctor and similar products, the rack is now just a gathering device to gather the balls to their spots on the cloth. I really like how this works. This triangle took me a week of spare time. If you would like one, I do make trades. I will accept a Meucci Original in good condition as that is what my friend collects. Or I will trade for getting inlays done on my personal triangle. After the other ebony one, I am going to use up the rest of my circassian walnut. I think I have enough walnut for two more triangles.

Attachments

• EBONYbentwoodTRIANGLE.jpg
    EBONYbentwoodTRIANGLE.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,462

hunger strike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Making racks again....

I am back from a hiatus on making these triangles. I got them down to where they rack accurately, which took months of learning. Then I made five of them up to the stage of the outer veneers, and the postal service lost them in the mail. I found out today they were mailed to the wrong person who has returned them. So they are coming back to me, ready to apply any exotic veneer you would like. The ebony one shown I am keeping for myself, but I am making one more ebony one with bookmatched brown striping.
PM me with interest...and check my 100% perfect feedback.

hunger strike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I will trade....

Do you have any billiard item that you would trade for one of my triangles? I am making a couple out of carpathian elm burl, the ultimate wood veneer. I collect antique pool balls, so I keep the racks I don't sell to display my ball sets. One carpathian elm burl triangle is spoken for.

hunger strike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Not quite finished in this photo....

I lightened up the photo below - I assume this is closer. I love the way this looks.

Chris

I was asked about the slight separation you see in the veneers at the corner in this photo. These are hand made, labor intensive creations and are not perfect looking until the last step. The final finishing step is to melt dyed wax into the crevices for solidity and a finished look, and that hadn't been done in this photo...the edges look really nice after they are stained and wax-filled.

hunger strike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Smoked eucalyptus veneer triangle rack

A fellow woodworker special ordered this rack with this veneer. You can see how irridescent it is compared to the ebony. The eucalyptus is very brittle and hard to work without mistakes, chips, and cracks, but it will be a beauty when finished. The ebony one next to it is completely finished for comparison.

Attachments

• 379928_329179003763237_100000134207597_1480376_609319953_n.jpg
    379928_329179003763237_100000134207597_1480376_609319953_n.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 1,230

hunger strike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
This one's almost done.... at least it looks that way

There is still a lot of work at this point trimming the veneer down without chipping it, finishing and filling the edges. But you get the idea. Nice burl.

Attachments

• rack.jpg
    rack.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 1,189

hunger strike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Carpathian elm burls done....

All of these are spoken for, but I wanted to show examples as I have some of this veneer left.

Attachments

• threeracks.jpg
    threeracks.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 1,148

hunger strike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Custom finishes....

Different effects can be done with finishes, dyes, and stains to achieve a custom appearance that can make the same wood look totally different. I am working on doing inlays soon as well....

Attachments

• custom finishes.jpg
    custom finishes.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 1,123

hunger strike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Rosewood rack

The rack on top is rosewood. I got this veneer from Mel Cheek when he lived in Edmond, OK years ago. He used it to reveneer antique pool table rail caps. Very beautiful wood when it is sanded and finished correctly. Another example of what I do.

hunger strike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I am steamed!

....yeah, I have to do some work with steam. It is possible to do it without, if you want to risk the valuable veneer. There is a lot of chipping, cracking, separation, finish imperfections, little things that have to be artistically dealt with. Thanks for the compliment. I do trades. I collect antique pool balls, chalk, and other memorabilia so I would trade for something interesting. These are really labor intensive, if I tallied up my hours I would have to charge triple. I like the creativity of making things. The one I am sending out today, a burl one, I took it out to Q-Master in VA Beach and tried it out just to make sure and it racked perfectly.

hunger strike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Persian Walnut Rack

Here is one that I just did for a guy who wanted a rack with wood from his part of the world.... Persian walnut. It is the one on bottom: Juglans regia is the walnut species, but the differences in climate, soil, elevation, etc. have a great effect on the appearance of the wood. Pretty. I am giving it to him tonight at Q-Master in Virginia Beach. The waitress there wondered where that pretty rack came from when I was in there testing these. She was just as pretty. They all are, there in Q-Master.

Attachments

• persian walnut rack.jpg
    persian walnut rack.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 326