circular draw shot

asn130

Night owl
Silver Member
i have always had trouble with this shot. I must be shooting it wrong because i don't have any trouble spinning my cueball.

Any help?

CueTable Help

Rod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats because you have it set up wrong. Its not perfect but close enough. Sorry I haven't used the new wei

http://www.cuetable.com/WeiTable

START(
%AW1V5%BD3\3%CD4Y0%DE5V5%Er5Z6%FF9Z2%GG5X7%HC8S5%IY4Z7%JF6S2
%KD8Z1%LI3X9%ME5Z8%NE7Z4%OI9Y5%P]4Y8%UW0Z3%VW3W4%_n6Z8%`Z4X7
%aW2Z9
)END

Rod

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rod's right. The shot is set up much closer to the side pocket. This is a prime example of a strong power draw stroke. You can't make the shot by trying to RAM the cuestick through the CB...it has to be a very smooth, FAST stroke.

Hint: You're probably gripping the cue too tightly!:D

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

okinawa77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alternative shot?

I thought I might offer this alternative.

CueTable Help

I am not sure, but you might actually be able to pull off the shot you have shown, but I would try to masse. I'll try this shot this weekend, but here is what I am thinking.
NOTE: The cue ball english representation in the left bottom corner would be your birds eye view of the CB as you are shooting the masse shot.

CueTable Help

asn130

Night owl
Silver Member
Scott Lee said:
Rod's right. The shot is set up much closer to the side pocket. This is a prime example of a strong power draw stroke. You can't make the shot by trying to RAM the cuestick through the CB...it has to be a very smooth, FAST stroke.

Hint: You're probably gripping the cue too tightly!:D

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Scott, if anything i grip the cue too tight. But i'm wondering if i should be using just low or low/outside.

And now that i look at it, yeah i've got it set up wrong. It should be closer to the side & with more of a cut angle on the 2.

i looked on youtube for a video of sombody making the shot & can't seem to find one.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
asn130 said:
i looked on youtube for a video of sombody making the shot & can't seem to find one.
Lou Butera shoots this shot in the "Virtual Pool" computer video game. Jeanette Lee also shoots it in "Virtual Pool 2" if I recall correctly. I have also seen Mike Massey shooting this in a video somewhere.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where you are in relation to the side-pocket is not relevant. The real issue is how close you are to the side of the table. You need to employ a bit of a downward stroke on the cueball and bridging off the side rail helps you do that. See, what happens is, you actually get the cueball to hop a little. After you hit the object ball, it hops, rebounds off the side-rail AND THEN the draw takes. That's why you get such a weird path on the cue ball.

Chris Lynch, the house pro and league director at Amsterdam is a master at this. He's been able to do it since he was a C player. I still have problems doing it.

Craig Fales

Registered bubinga user
Silver Member
I have the shot where Mike Massey does it...it's also more out from the rail in his shot as he bridges off the rail...

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
asn130 said:
i have always had trouble with this shot. I must be shooting it wrong because i don't have any trouble spinning my cueball.

Any help?
Some suggestions: If you want the cue ball closer to the rail but not be more jacked up, you can bridge through the opening of the side pocket. This is not necessary, but may be helpful while you are perfecting your technique.

As has been mentioned, you want a little hop on the cue ball from the object ball to the cushion. That will keep you from losing some of the draw on the way to the cushion. The hop is more or less automatic because you will be jacked up by the rail.

If your equipment is sticky, wax the cue ball. Use a paste wax or a silicone spray like ArmorAll. Again, after your technique improves, you may not need this even on bad equipment.

You have already seen setups that work. In your diagram, the shot looks too straight in and the cue ball is too close to the cushion.