CJ Wiley Runs 29 balls in 1P using TOI

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
#1 and #3 would both be great. Plus, would be nice to see a short video with some shots calling out center to center or center to edge with an approximation of how much inside you are using. I realize it differs from player to player and shaft to shaft, but an approximation would be interesting to hear from you.
Scott

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am open to suggestion, we are filming another instructional video

#1 and #3 would both be great. Plus, would be nice to see a short video with some shots calling out center to center or center to edge with an approximation of how much inside you are using. I realize it differs from player to player and shaft to shaft, but an approximation would be interesting to hear from you.
Scott

That sounds like a great idea. Would you prefer it to be playing 15 ball rotation, or something like this again? I checked into the "Head Cam" and it just doesn't look right, it's like watching a cross between mountain biking and pool playing. :smile2:

I am open to suggestion, we are filming another instructional video so I can fit "special segments" in for anyone that wants to learn the deep level of the TOI or anything else for that matter.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That sounds like a great idea. Would you prefer it to be playing 15 ball rotation, or something like this again? I checked into the "Head Cam" and it just doesn't look right, it's like watching a cross between mountain biking and pool playing. :smile2:

I am open to suggestion, we are filming another instructional video so I can fit "special segments" in for anyone that wants to learn the deep level of the TOI or anything else for that matter.

No head cam...............crap. I wanted to see what you see.

I sure do wish that the information you are passing along falls into the hands of the younger generation of players.

Thanks for all that you do

John

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
You will see players fall completely apart playing this way

I like #1 and #3 also.

Great video, shows the 'heaviness' of the cue ball when using TOI

Yes, players get used to spinning the cue ball and don't "real eyes" it's like playing with a cue ball that's many weights. Spin makes it play "lighter" and roll further as a rule, hitting slightly off center creates a consistent roll.

This may not make a difference if things are going well and the pressure isn't too high. You will see players fall completely apart playing this way against a top professional players. I've seen it many, many times in my career, and that's also why we can give {them} such large handicaps.

You may see this style used by professionals in tournaments where the cloth is slick/fast, and tables are soft. However, in the pool rooms or on the 5th day of a major tournament you would see these styles change. The tougher the equipment the more important it is to use a consistent speed, spin and position strategy. 'The Game is the Teacher'

Chrippa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

How about splitting the screen and have both the head camera and the fixed camera? Just ordered a new camera myself, Panasonic and I saw that they had one of those head cameras and I started thinking about them - in pool that was I was thinking:smile:.
Will probably be real fun to put on the dog to:p.

15 ball rotation would be nice, you did some 9 - ball racks in the TOI vid.

Chrippa

dougster26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Without a doubt #3

CJ,

I'll take anything and everything you are willing to share with us.

However, if I have to choose one, I would opt for what I would find most beneficial to improving upon one's game. Sign me up for #3. I want to know more about the grip, fingers, and wrist and how they all work together. Also, any info on how you might deviate for different types of shots.

Once I have that in the bank, then bring on the banking #1 info.

Dougster

Houstoer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CJ - all these sound great but I must admit I'm more intrigued with 1 and 3 also. I also would be in to whatever you would put up in regards to 8 ball. I'm mainly an 8 ball player and would love to see your preception on running racks of 8 ball. Thanks for all your doing !!! it is greatly appreciated !

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
some unusual visuals

CJ - all these sound great but I must admit I'm more intrigued with 1 and 3 also. I also would be in to whatever you would put up in regards to 8 ball. I'm mainly an 8 ball player and would love to see your preception on running racks of 8 ball. Thanks for all your doing !!! it is greatly appreciated !

I ran two racks of rotation early this morning and described what I was going to do,(TOI) and how I was aligned on each shot. It won't be "Rendered" for You Tube until later tonight, it takes about 8 hours and it just started a few minutes ago.

We're checking on different "spy cameras" to be able to get some unusual visuals. We found one that pistol shooters wear and you can see what they're shooting from their perspective, at least pretty close.

I can do the eight ball too, I'm also starting my Banking Secrets video tomorrow, we have to use another camera for that one, so you can see the angles from another perspective, we only have two at the moment.

Thanks, H. - Aloha, I have to get some sleep. :thumbup:

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
CJ, I have a question. I don't know TOI other than you aim to one side of the pocket and throw it into the other. But my question is, why inside? You can throw the ball with outside too... why not touch of outside? From what I gather, that's how MANY of the top players play. If just just have to pocket the ball, they put a touch of outside on the ball.

Doesn't limiting yourself to inside english extremely affect position play in games like 9ball?

cool_hand_ljb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8 ball

I think nine ball is a good game I play it and do well however, I feel eight ball requires much more decision making and strategy to consistently win. Rotation games your pattern is already laid out. For these reasons I would really like to wach you play eight ball. Thanks CJ.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I think nine ball is a good game I play it and do well however, I feel eight ball requires much more decision making and strategy to consistently win. Rotation games your pattern is already laid out. For these reasons I would really like to wach you play eight ball. Thanks CJ.

Yeah, 8 ball. Run out & then spot the 8 & run out again. I'm fairly sure the shot selection will be different than mine. That's the interesting part. Shot selection & shape.

deLusan

Registered
Good to hear more people asking CJ for a video on shape. If you can get shape, TOI will put the ball in the hole.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Good to hear more people asking CJ for a video on shape. If you can get shape, TOI will put the ball in the hole.

I have not been to the table since CJ's run outs but I'm am fairly sure watching him in the runouts will help me with TOI position.

My problems with TOI position have been speed related. The ball floats too far. The ball does not float far enough. I saw that CJ does not hit as hard as my perception for TOI was dictating.

I'm sure watching more will help even more. It's just a bit difficult to make oneself do it the TOI way when using spin seems so easy.

It's a long road to the promised land & we keep wanting to take those downhill short cuts.

Regards,

deLusan

Registered
"My problems with TOI position have been speed related. The ball floats too far. The ball does not float far enough." English!(quote)

Great observation English! - exactly my problem. I need to work on developing the proper TOI speed, and learn to combine that with some follow/draw as needed. I think CJ has already provided the 'magic wand' to shape that I keep asking for - "the game is the teacher". Keep using it and it will open up to you, Grasshopper.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
"My problems with TOI position have been speed related. The ball floats too far. The ball does not float far enough." English!(quote)

Great observation English! - exactly my problem. I need to work on developing the proper TOI speed, and learn to combine that with some follow/draw as needed. I think CJ has already provided the 'magic wand' to shape that I keep asking for - "the game is the teacher". Keep using it and it will open up to you, Grasshopper.

I have been hitting up & down the vertical axis but it's still speed related. As soon as I 'win' my individual money league playoffs, I plan to put in 3-4 weeks with it, uninterupted. This will probably be the first time I 'practice' something in all of my 46 years of play. That's because I 'real eyes' that the light at the end of the tunnel is not a train.:wink:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
it's a "Complete Playing System"

CJ, I have a question. I don't know TOI other than you aim to one side of the pocket and throw it into the other. But my question is, why inside? You can throw the ball with outside too... why not touch of outside? From what I gather, that's how MANY of the top players play. If just just have to pocket the ball, they put a touch of outside on the ball.

Doesn't limiting yourself to inside english extremely affect position play in games like 9ball?

I've written hundreds of pages on this subject and to break it down the TOI SYSTEM is pretty simple:

1) Using Inside naturally deflects the cue ball to "over cut" the object ball slightly. It's FAVORING more cut and allows you to align to the part of the pocket closest to the object ball and deflect it slightly into the center of the pocket....if it goes too far it hits the outside of the pocket "The 3 Part Pocket System"

2) You can do this with outside HOWEVER, it will deflect IN TO the object ball, so you have to spin it to make it over cut. This means you have two variables instead of just one. If you have time to practice several hours a day you can do this, TOI is for players like me that want to play championship speed with just an hour (or two) of practice a day.

3) You have more flexibility using the Inside of the cue ball rather than the outside. I can do virtually anything with Inside that anyone can do with outside PLUS much more in terms of table coverage. I still use outside if I'm changing the angle off the rail, but not to get position, the TOI position makes the cue ball "float," rather than spin to position. This, in effect makes for a "heavier" cue ball.

4) TOI enables me to take the three calculations we all have to make in pool and bend them into one. SPEED - ANGLE CREATION - CUE BALL TARGETING are all consistent using TOI, with "other ways" it's much different in terms of speed of the shots, using a multitude of spins and creating angles using some form or fashion of "aiming system"....the 'Touch Of Inside' system covers it all in one system of playing....it's a "Complete Playing System". 'The Game is the Teacher' www.cjwiley.com

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I MUST carom into another ball (solid or stripe) on every shot to keep shooting.

I have a way that I practice 8 Ball that may be interesting to see, and it's very challenging. I play regular 8 Ball, however, I MUST carom into another ball (solid or stripe) on every shot to keep shooting.

This amplifies the need to be able to carom accurately and after practicing this for awhile you will see a vast improvement in your "8 Ball skills". I've only ran the table a few times doing this drill, try it and see, it's worth the time in improvement. 'The Game is the Teacher'

parabaum

Registered
My Son and I play 8 ball caroms quite a bit. It is 8 ball, rack the q ball at the head of the rack and break with a number ball. Choose either solids or stripes. To score you shoot a number ball at the q ball to carom the number ball into the pocket. Spot the q ball if it happens into a pocket.

It can be a learning adventure.

Shoot Well,
Jeff B