Cleaning a Shaft

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
I use a paper towel with a bit of rubbing alcohol. It isn't perfect, still get stained over time, but they stay smooth.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just use the McDermott shaft cleaning kit. It seems fine to me, although kind of pricey for what you get. I think I read in Mark Wilson’s book, that he recommends Soft Scrub brand cleaner on the shaft. I’ve never used it yet, but with more info on it I just might change over. The McDermott cleaner bottle is too small.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
I just burnish in the chalk usually. I’ve never sanded or used abrasives onthe finish. It matches my one sticks rosewood forearm great and is silky smooth after. My other player isn’t a great match. But. Who doesn’t love a chalk weathered shaft? It’s beautiful. To clean just water on a paper towel. Maybe a little dawn. Like I said initially. Who doesn’t want a chalk stained wood shaft.

Btw. If you like your shaft.😆 Check when getting a tip change. some tip guys will automatically try to sand a shaft on tip change.
1635066714862.jpeg

The wrap is nice and chalk stained to match. It’s supposed to be white with double black specks. The chalk gives your cue character. The darker it gets the more hours you’ve put in.

Last edited:

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Maybe when they were potty trained they were taught not to piss on their hands???? Just a thought. :)

It's not the piss that's so much the problem (but wait til your prostate talks), it's the grunge from playing. That is now on one's penis AND the cue, balls, rack, table, handshake.

Jeff Livingston

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy All;

I use the damp paper towel and a dry one to make sure it's dry while shooting.
When I get home it gets a good alcohol rub with a paper towel and burnished
with a brown paper bag. Every so often it gets fresh coat of Renaissance Wax;

hank

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
as in zippo lighter fluid?
Zippo or Ronson. alcohol works too but get the 90% stuff. 70% has too much water and tends to raise the grain too much. I don't let shafts get too dirty so i use the ME on really dirty shafts which isn't very often. LF on a clean paper towel once a month or so keeps them nice.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
It's not the piss that's so much the problem (but wait til your prostate talks), it's the grunge from playing. That is now on one's penis AND the cue, balls, rack, table, handshake.

Jeff Livingston
I know, right?? You gotta wash your hands before and after using the boys room. Speaking of grunge, what is it with pool players?? I was at a tournament over the weekend and couldn't help but notice that once again pool players (most) apparently have never been trained on how to operate a garbage can, they leave all of their crap behind them at the table, when you go to your table assignment you have to clean the mess left behind by the players in front of you. In this day and age of China Disease who wants to be touching objects that people had their faces on?? I can see the Covid germs jumping around on every can, bottle, and cup. :cautious:o_O

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I know, right?? You gotta wash your hands before and after using the boys room. Speaking of grunge, what is it with pool players?? I was at a tournament over the weekend and couldn't help but notice that once again pool players (most) apparently have never been trained on how to operate a garbage can, they leave all of their crap behind them at the table, when you go to your table assignment you have to clean the mess left behind by the players in front of you. In this day and age of China Disease who wants to be touching objects that people had their faces on?? I can see the Covid germs jumping around on every can, bottle, and cup. :cautious:o_O
In Davenport by chance? It was a fun time but yeah, lots of crap left on tables, I felt bad for the cleaning staff.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
In Davenport by chance? It was a fun time but yeah, lots of crap left on tables, I felt bad for the cleaning staff.

We're doing a makeup game tonight cuz our opponents were at the ACS last Thursday. I hope they didn't get on a roll there....we've run into post-tourney teams before and sometimes they're hot as hell.

Jeff Livingston

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
ACS in Oshkosh, WI. I think Iowa was ACS also, correct??
Yeah it was an ACS in Iowa. First big time event/tourney for me. I did better than I thought, won 3 games before I had lost out 2 games. It was a fun experience, I'm definitely hoping to go back next year!

We're doing a makeup game tonight cuz our opponents were at the ACS last Thursday. I hope they didn't get on a roll there....we've run into post-tourney teams before and sometimes they're hot as hell.

Jeff Livingston
Let's hope they are on ice by the time you have your makeup game! :)

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Winning that first match is the secret. And my first goal at tourneys.

Nice job with 3 wins right off the bat. 4 usually gets you in the best spot with the timing of matches and such. That's my second goal at these things.

Jeff Livingston

libtrucker

I find, its all about keeping the case clean. I wipe the tip of my cue on my towel before I put it away and haven't had to clean my shaft in a really long time. And I wash my hands a lot. The second I start getting clammy or dirty hands, I run to the bathroom and wash up.