Cloth speed difference

blakerandy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm getting ready to get my 9' table recovered.

I play mostly 8 ball and straight pool, very little 9 ball at home with my wife and a few others.

After reading numerous threads it seems Simonis 860 is usually recommended.

I'm curious about the real speed difference between 760,860 and Tournament 3030.

Is speed difference really that noticeable and what would you recommend for mostly 8 ball?

Thanks

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would assume it can get quite humid in Hawaii. Faster cloth will definitely help out, if it gets humid. I personally would recommend putting 760 on the table. Cloth in dry Arizona will play faster than the same cloth in South Florida. The speed difference between 860 and 760 is noticeable, by how much is up to each individual's perception. The faster cloth will be way more enjoyable playing straight pool. 860 is fine for 8ball and 9ball, but I still prefer 760.

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes the difference is definently noticeable, i have 760 on my table, and also play mostly 8 ball. I reccomend (if possible) trying to find a table with one of each to test out wich one you prefer, I like the faster felt, but sometimes i do wish i had 860 instead

row21097

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I live in Corpus Christi and followed the advise of my table mechanic (Harrision Todd) and used 760. I have no regrets. it plays like 860 dry.

bert

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
The speed is noticeable between 760 and 860. Broken-in 760 is like glass. Takes so little effort
to move the cue ball. I personally love it and thing it's fun, you don't have to muscle anything.
Some guys look down on that like it's almost like cheating... being able to move
the cue ball like you have a great stroke even if you don't.

For 8 ball, you are not moving the cue ball around as much as you would with 9 ball. You seldom
have to go up and down the table and if you plan the pattern right the cue ball isn't moving much.
So you would certainly be fine with 860.

I can't speak to the 3030. It looks like it's thicker and therefore slower.
But it is harder to puncture and more durable.

I'd say pool is more fun on the 760 but that's very subjective. And the downside is,
you will not be used to the slower stuff when you go to a pool hall. And you may find
it tougher to generate a good strong stroke when you need it, if you haven't had to
power a shot in months.

860 is probably the safest choice if you want decently fast, and not much different from the pool hall.

blakerandy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the reply's everyone.

I keep reading good things about the 3030, maybe in between speeds of the 760 and 860 but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of talk about it.

My wife is just learning the game and it sounds like the 760 might be to fast for her.

flash5153

none
Silver Member
I had a 8' table with worn out 760 on it. It was like someone already said above,,,it was like playing on glass. Very very fast. I never got the chance to play on new 760.

I have since changed to a 9' table and put 860 on it. IMO it is the perfect speed. It's not the cheapest cloth out there,,but worth every penny!!!

It's really hard to tell someone how fast a table plays. But I play on BB's allot. And have found that the 860 on my 9 fter,,has the same speed as championship cloth on a BB. (Which most are.) Comparing them to scale.

If you hit the ball 3 rails with the same stroke/speed,on either table,,,,the ball ends up in about the same place on the table although they are different sizes. If that makes any sense.

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could get the 860HR, that is supposed to be a bit faster than regular 860 but not as fast as the 760.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I'm getting ready to get my 9' table recovered.

I play mostly 8 ball and straight pool, very little 9 ball at home with my wife and a few others.

After reading numerous threads it seems Simonis 860 is usually recommended.

I'm curious about the real speed difference between 760,860 and Tournament 3030.

Is speed difference really that noticeable and what would you recommend for mostly 8 ball?

Thanks

If you like straight pool, check out Granito (Tournament 2000)
...the pack spreads when you break it.

...have it put on TIGHT

realkingcobra

Silver Member
For Simonis cloth,

760 If you want the object balls to travel further with less effort, like in pattern games such as 8 bal, 14.1, banks, where your not all that concerned about the cue ball getting out of position.

860 If you play games like 9/10 ball, one pocket, rotation, as well as any other games that require excessive movement of the cue ball, the thicker cloth helps slow down the cue ball so its not so fast.

860HR Is not only more wear resistant, it's also humidity resistant like the 760 is because of its 30% nylon blend in the weave. Its kind of a cross between the 760 and the 90% wool/10% nylon normal 860. It has almost the same speed, but seems a little faster because the cue ball will move a little easier without the interface of humidity slowing it down.

Glen

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have 860 and I think it is a good all around cloth.
If you keep it clean you should not need anything any faster.