Cocobolo Fancy Sneaky 10/06

SnakePool

Number 1 Photo Guy
Silver Member
Finished my third cue a couple of weeks ago, cocobolo with some ringwork. The ring is old natural phenolic with an ivory colored plastic surrounded by black and brass. I used a brass radial, mainly for getting the desired weight and balance. The weight is 18.7oz. and the balance point is at 19in from the butt cap. All my cues have the OB-1 Cue Shaft. I won't hit with anything else! All Cues that I build will have one. Any advice/criticisms appreciated.

Joint -
SP003joint.jpg

Handle -
SP003handle.jpg

Butt -
SP003butt.jpg

bells

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the coco figure is great. Is that ferrule (sp?) standard on ob-1 shafts?

SnakePool

Number 1 Photo Guy
Silver Member
IF I was ever able to sell one, they would go for $400. A little more with matching wood joint protectors. I will probably make the joint protectors for this one this weekend. If I don't sell this one soon I'll have it in Waco on the 4th and at the Fast Eddie's in San An.

Mystick Cue Fan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SnakePool said:
IF I was ever able to sell one, they would go for $400. A little more with matching wood joint protectors. I will probably make the joint protectors for this one this weekend. If I don't sell this one soon I'll have it in Waco on the 4th and at the Fast Eddie's in San An.

Sounds a little confusing.....If you were ever able to sell one....then you say if I don't sell this one soon. So do you sell them or not? I'm not trynig to be rude at all but just curious. Would be an interested buyer.

Tony

SnakePool

Number 1 Photo Guy
Silver Member
IF I was ever able to sell one

Meaning... I haven't been able to sell one yet...lol

Most people I talk to either don't want a new cue, don't like wrapless cues, or just don't have any money. <---- Most common one.

Mystick Cue Fan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SnakePool said:
Meaning... I haven't been able to sell one yet...lol

Most people I talk to either don't want a new cue, don't like wrapless cues, or just don't have any money. <---- Most common one.

Ahh, I understand. I can also understand thier point of view. Frey's, Buss's, Petree's, and Diveney's sneakies all sell for under 400 new. There are quite a few others that have big names that sell sneakies for under 400. Stating that the cue has a 180 dollar OB shaft doesn't really make a difference to the buyer. Why are they going to buy your cue when they could just buy the shaft? Personally I would pay about 250 for that cue. I know it sounds awfully brutal for the work and money you put in it. But it's the truth. I think it could sell for 300. But to me this seems to be the bigger reason of why players don't buy it for 400. Just helping out a bit. Get a few out there cheap. Not too cheap, and watch them all flock to you. :D Even though you work for OB1. You could just make the shaft an upgrade and use reg. maple shafts. Then you could justify the cost. Well anyway, I'm just busting you balls and throwing out some ideas for you to try out.

Tony

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Nice looking butt...personally wouldn't buy one with that shaft, but thats just me.

Looks like your doing nice clean work and you should find a market.

SnakePool

Number 1 Photo Guy
Silver Member
I have seen some big name sneakys going for over 250 but the points aren't even in the slightest and they don't have any ringwork to brag about. I'm not building these cues for the money but I'm not going to sell them CHEAP just to sell them. Not one person has made a negative comment about the price, most say "that's it." You have to see the cue up close, it is next flawless and of professional quality. Pretty good considering I learned to operate a lthe March of this year. I know your just busting my balls and playing devil's advocate, but this a hobby, maybe 1 every other month or so and not to anyone's specs.

Mystick Cue Fan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SnakePool said:
I have seen some big name sneakys going for over 250 but the points aren't even in the slightest and they don't have any ringwork to brag about. I'm not building these cues for the money but I'm not going to sell them CHEAP just to sell them. Not one person has made a negative comment about the price, most say "that's it." You have to see the cue up close, it is next flawless and of professional quality. Pretty good considering I learned to operate a lthe March of this year. I know your just busting my balls and playing devil's advocate, but this a hobby, maybe 1 every other month or so and not to anyone's specs.

I didn't mean sell them CHEAP just to sell them. I understand everything you are saying. I meant sell them cheap to get them out there first. Have people talking about you. Not just to sell them. Well I like your idea of making one a month to your own specs though. Just so everyone can see your creativity.

Tony

RogerSLC-LV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice looking cue. I'd like to see a pic of the entire butt section if it's possible.
Regards, Roger

Hidy Ho

Missed 4 rail hanger!!!
Silver Member
SnakePool said:

1) I also would like to see the full length photo of your cue for better visualization

2) Did you make the full splice blank or?

3) What is the tread? 3/8x10 or radial?

4) weight bolt or none?

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any chance of getting some full cue pictures.

I liek the brass ring choice.

Never mind Jazz asked the questions I was going to.

Hope you find a buyer!

sliprock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice looking cue. Don't let anyone lowball your cues. I think that Meucci's and Heubler's sneakies both retail for over $300. It gets frustrating when people want you to justify your asking price. Personally, I think that it should be law that all custom sneakies must retail for at least $400. You spend months building and turning a cue properly only to have some guy that can't run 3 balls talk it down because he can buy billybob's cue for $100 less. Note, This last statement wasn't aimed at anyone in particular.
It is well known that all AZ'ers must be able to run at least 3 balls.

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
Mystick Cue Fan said:
Personally I would pay about 250 for that cue. I know it sounds awfully brutal for the work and money you put in it. But it's the truth. I think it could sell for 300.

Tony

If I made that cue...I would ask & get $575 for that cue...no problems. Everyone knows what the OB-1 shaft alone is worth.
The above quoted statement is ridiculous.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Hidy Ho

Missed 4 rail hanger!!!
Silver Member
Varney Cues said:
If I made that cue...I would ask & get $575 for that cue...no problems. Everyone knows what the OB-1 shaft alone is worth.

There is nothing *ridiculous* about one person's opinion that address the original poster's question.

Also this thread ain't about YOU ... I mean, you're a a "choice of the world champion", for god' sake!!!! Pretty soon, you might be adding another zero behind your asking price since you'll have zillion year waiting list!!! :rolleyes:

As another poster stated, having only OB-1 shaft is definitely a plus for some and negative for others.

P.S. I haven't seen any of your work being sold for over $500 on AZ .. I just checked quickly and saw a nice fancy SP sold be Mike Templeton for $350.

Mystick Cue Fan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Varney Cues said:

Well since your NAME is already HUGE around the country I'm sure that you would get 575. Has anyone ever heard of Jesse Garcia before he posted here? And if you did, did you know he made cues? If you know him, where are you from? his hometown? Jesse I'm not trying to knock on your price or anything. As Jazz stated, having that shaft is a plus or minus. VARNEY on the other hand is a big name cuemaker that can ask what he wants for his cues because of that long waiting list he has....:rolleyes: BUt I was simply stating to undersell like 2 cues. And I do understand that what you would be doing is underselling them. And believe me I do understand the work, time, and money that goes into this cue. You have made an outstanding cue. I was just offering some advice on how to get a few out there. As everyone here knows, no one really buys from an unknown cuemaker unless they see it in person, or they are stealing it. :D Or you could raffle it off here. Maybe even an auction like the last few cues. I'm sure you will get more than 250. What I was saying is simply trying to help you get your name out there. I personally know and work with a friend of mine on sneakies. He just finished a cue with ringwork and a laminated shaft. Has been trying really hard to get 250 for it. But he understands that he would expect around 175-200 for the cue. And he does REALLY GOOD WORK To some people it's the cue and the workmanship etc. that count. And to most it's the NAME. Get your name out there buddy. I'm sure you will be selling these for 400 in a years time, with reg. shaft wood.

Nothing I have stated now or before should seem ridiculus. SLIPROCK, I understand you know the work that goes in it. So do I. But did you start off selling your sneakies for 400? since that should be the law. I'm not trying to be rude, but be honest. Everyone has to start somewhere. And with all these new guys coming on the scene making cues it's hard to get that kind of money for a sneaky. FWIW That's just my opinion.

Tony

Last edited:

1pRoscoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Varney Cues said:
of course you would...