colors

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not to side track the thread but the one and only reason that record stood so long is because nobody plays straight pool and nobody cared about that record and therefore nobody made any real effort to beat it. Finally one guy (not even an upper tier pro) decided he cared and broke it within a few months of serious effort. Then along came a top player who took only a few days to beat it.

Dozens of players today (even some players from other completely unrelated cue sports like snooker etc) could break Mosconi's old record within a few months if they cared enough or were otherwise sufficiently motivated to give it a serious effort, and there were players all along the way between then and now that could have beat it too although never as many as there are today. While it is a fantastic accomplishment worthy of serious praise, people way over estimated how difficult Mosconi's record was to beat, and way under estimated that today's best players are better than Mosconi and the extent to which that is true.
I genuinely doubt that there are dozens of players that could match or break Mosconi’s record.

Records don’t last that long without people trying to duplicate the feat. I don’t know the answer
to this question but am curious. How many pool players broke the consecutive 526 run record
using original maple shafts since LD shafts weren’t around when Willie set the record in exhibition?

And Willie didn’t get multiple consecutive chances to run 526. He just let it unfold by simply not stopping.
Regardless, I don’t think there are 25 players today, despite CF shafts, that could duplicate what Willie did.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
I genuinely doubt that there are dozens of players that could match or break Mosconi’s record.

Records don’t last that long without people trying to duplicate the feat. I don’t know the answer
to this question but am curious. How many pool players broke the consecutive 526 run record
using original maple shafts since LD shafts weren’t around when Willie set the record in exhibition?

And Willie didn’t get multiple consecutive chances to run 526. He just let it unfold by simply not stopping.
Regardless, I don’t think there are 25 players today, despite CF shafts, that could duplicate what Willie did.
While it sounds intuitive and lots of people claim it, I see zero evidence that low deflection shafts of any kind (wood or carbon fiber) improve someone's level of play. In fact pretty much all the evidence says it makes no real difference at all.

Willie played straight pool for ~60 years and he kept his runs going to completion who knows how many tens of thousands of times (yes, at times he quit runs too but don't think for a second he didn't let the majority go to completion, particularly while practicing). His best in those 60 years of efforts just happened to be during an exhibition, it wasn't like that was his first attempt lol. Meanwhile it took Jayson Shaw 5 days to best the best Mosconi was able to put up in 60 years and he did it on tougher equipment on top of it.

For the record I think Mosconi could have beaten his own 526 record if sufficiently motivated to as well, but he still wasn't up to the standards of today's best players.

While we're at it, contrary to many claims, today's equipment is significantly tougher than it was during Mosconi's time. The tighter pockets and tougher pocket angles etc more than offset (by a good amount) the slower cloth of old (which is also greatly exaggerated by people, go watch any old match video from his era, the cloth played on wasn't that slow) and then some although the tables the records were recently broken on weren't really more difficult on net outside of the fact that they were larger which did greatly increase the difficulty.

Dozens of players today could beat Mosconi's record simply because while still a fantastic feat the record is not nearly as hard as people try to make it out to be (especially on the equipment Mosconi set it on!), and because the level of today's best players is better.

I hate to be the one to tell some of y'all this, but Matchroom's priority is to attract fans (which they're doing pretty well these days), and their target audience is definitely not "grumpy old guys who hate change." I for one can't fault them for trying to give pool more distinctive and appealing aesthetics, and they might as well do so before the audience gets too big.

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Close ... Yellow, Blue, Red, PURPLE, Orange, Green, Muddy maroon, Black...
Chucklin' Just makin' sure folks are readin' what they think they are.

Had an Older Lady shootin' at my local VFW and she could see the balls
but couldn't read the numbers, bless her heat. In her 90's and still enjoyed
playin' 9 ball. So we'd take turns reminding her of which was next;
Buttercup, Blueberry, Cherry, Violet, Orange, Green Chile (We are the Chile Capital
of the World Here bouts), Mud. & Liquorice,

hank

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have played pool for 60 years............. I totally hate pool balls that have colors other than the original colors

Kim
You mean something like these?

Attachments

• antique-ivory-tally-ball-set-round.jpg
    antique-ivory-tally-ball-set-round.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 39

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate to be the one to tell some of y'all this, but Matchroom's priority is to attract fans (which they're doing pretty well these days), and their target audience is definitely not "grumpy old guys who hate change." I for one can't fault them for trying to give pool more distinctive and appealing aesthetics, and they might as well do so before the audience gets too big.
Bingo. The casual pool fan out numbers the "grumpy old guys who hate change" exponentially. If you can attract all of them, then we got something.

dquarasr

Registered
I understand supporting change for “distinctive and appealing aesthetics”. But if PURPLE is still considered distinctive and appealing, WHY ISN’T IT ON THE G-DARNED 4 BALL?!? (Yes, I’ve seen Emily’s comment and so wish MR would swallow their pride and move purple back to the 4).

ChrisSjoblom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bingo. The casual pool fan out numbers the "grumpy old guys who hate change" exponentially. If you can attract all of them, then we got something.
There's not a lot of money to be made by marketing to the "grumpy old guy" demographic unless you're selling Medicare Advantage plans or little blue pills (or medicines in general). We've already established relatively strong likes, dislikes and brand loyalty, and frankly we're not going to be around long enough to make it profitable to try to get us to change our minds.

Realizing this, I find I'm happier when I just go with what I like, and more or less fade the rest. If I run up against something I really detest, a purple 5 ball for instance, I just remove myself from having to confront it.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I have a friend in Cleveland...I couldn't post his comments about the renamed baseball team.

Will always be Cleveland Indians, like Washington Redskins.

Was at VA one day in waiting room, could of Native Americans were also there.

I ask if it bothered them about Washington Football Team Name controversy? One guy said he was Redskins fan. He was real Indian with no problem.

Most Native American were not polled about woke BS.

dirtvictim

Ignore the entitled they haven't earned respect
Rainbows. Every ball will be a rainbow and where the circle used to be will be a snowflake, BUT the snowflakes can’t repeat because well, ya know. Also, no numbers just infinity symbols.
I think we all know the gender of balls but the wokeness will make them gender neutral.

mrpiper

Registered
I saw a set at Biltmore estate from the late 1890's. Same colors, but certainly elegant and stylish for the time. Compared to balls made today though, I'm sure they play very poorly, and on the day they were new they likely didnt look as nice as an average set made today. I enjoy the aesthetic aspects of the game and find new sets and designs appealing. I also see a CLEAR difference in balls from even as recent as the 60's to 80's versus today. New technology in balls is desired and welcomed but any new aesthetic is not? I own a couple of dozen sets made from 2000 and newer. No 2 sets are alike. All play well and all are an interesting change. To me it just makes the table and game more fun in general. All my pool playing friends really like that they get to choose the set we will play when they come over. I know this is going to SHOCK many here, but the most chosen set in my collection is the Aramith Black set with the purple 5 ball! (But most of them are just casual players.) Now I'm waiting for the first translucent CF cue that has batteries and lights up like a Light Saber in purple! (With a "5" engraved on the shaft just for fun) I plan to buy one for me and one for FatBoy.