Comic relief for a slow posting day...

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
SpiderWebComm said:
She was actually quite attractive. She looked a little "coky" if you know what I mean. No pics though. Come to think of it... that would have been the move!!! FUNNY!

I'll go in next wednesday, bap the bees nest around for a little bit, and then take a picture of the nits and post it here. That would be pretty funny.

Hey Dave

If you want or need a partner we can go together and clean out the place.
By the way what bar are we talking about here as I may have already been in it.

Kevin

M HOUSE

Silver Member
"Bar Rules"

It can be a little risky playing with the bar crowd, but there are times you can have a little fun with them.

I'm in a bar one time and a young man comes up and asks me if I play pool for money. I say "Sometimes". He says, "I'll play you 8-ball for $10.00 a game, but we have to play by 'Street Rules' ". Trying to be nice I tell him it's been a long time since I played by Street Rules, but if he would remind me how they worked I would play him some. He said "It's simple, if you hit your ball first and it goes in, no matter if it hits another ball or not, it counts." I tell him that sounds fair and we start playing.

He was an average bar room player at best, so every chance I got I would intentionally play my object ball off another ball if there was one close to a pocket. Of course, he had no clue. After five games of this he slammed his cue down and said, "We can keep playing, but we ain't playing Street Rules no more. Your too G-d damn lucky!"

TXsouthpaw

My tush hog
Silver Member
uwate said:
that situation sounds like you would be best to leave it alone. Its always the dumb asses who cant run 2 balls in the bar that want to fight over quarters or some perceived slight to their manhood.

Maybe you could go back and try to score with the girl though. She likes pool, you like pool....

im with uwate on this one. Bar idiots who cant make a decent bridge are always the rule "experts" and you cant tell them otherwise, unless your lookin to fight.

plus theirs almost no money to be made, if you make more than 20 dollars youve had a good night.

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
M HOUSE said:
It can be a little risky playing with the bar crowd, but there are times you can have a little fun with them.

I'm in a bar one time and a young man comes up and asks me if I play pool for money. I say "Sometimes". He says, "I'll play you 8-ball for $10.00 a game, but we have to play by 'Street Rules' ". Trying to be nice I tell him it's been a long time since I played by Street Rules, but if he would remind me how they worked I would play him some. He said "It's simple, if you hit your ball first and it goes in, no matter if it hits another ball or not, it counts." I tell him that sounds fair and we start playing.

He was an average bar room player at best, so every chance I got I would intentionally play my object ball off another ball if there was one close to a pocket. Of course, he had no clue. After five games of this he slammed his cue down and said, "We can keep playing, but we ain't playing Street Rules no more. Your too G-d damn lucky!"

That's classic! :D

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
If someone insists on calling every carom and such I usually go with it. However, the moment an object ball touches a rail on the way in or rattles a bit, I call a foul. :D.

No banger in the world can pocket more than a couple of balls without rattling a few. They usually stop playing me, or play by my rules :)

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speaking of people using goofy bridges, I know a guy who plays pretty good with an unorthodox open bridge. He plays with a standard open bridge anyway and when he was a kid before he learned the right way to make a bridge he used that goofy looking bridge so I guess it feels sort of natural to him.

His stroke should be a giveaway but people see that bridge and they get greedy and think they have a payday lined up. I've actually seen people give him advice on how to make a proper bridge while he was in the process of draining their wallet. From the Flim Flam Man, "when people get greedy they get stupid, and when people get greedy and stupid they deserve what they get".

inside_english

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SpiderWebComm said:
I almost never ask unless I'm gambling. Meaning, if someone says I made a bad shot (because I ticked a ball)... I'll pull up, sip my beer, and let them shoot. I think the reason why I pushed the girl to play was....well, she was a girl and I wanted her to keep trying to run out (for her benefit). I thought I was being a gentleman and then random strangers came up getting cocky.

Makes me wanna go in next wednesday night and instigate to death. I'm good at that. Never know, someone might step into one.
Or maybe a group of "mongoloids" would stomp your ass. Better be careful...:)

bigskyjake

you heard the man
Silver Member
alstl said:
Speaking of people using goofy bridges, I know a guy who plays pretty good with an unorthodox open bridge. He plays with a standard open bridge anyway and when he was a kid before he learned the right way to make a bridge he used that goofy looking bridge so I guess it feels sort of natural to him.

His stroke should be a giveaway but people see that bridge and they get greedy and think they have a payday lined up. I've actually seen people give him advice on how to make a proper bridge while he was in the process of draining their wallet. From the Flim Flam Man, "when people get greedy they get stupid, and when people get greedy and stupid they deserve what they get".

Nice, The Flim Flam Man is one of my all time favs, George C. Scott is the triple nuts

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
inside_english said:
Or maybe a group of "mongoloids" would stomp your ass. Better be careful...:)

Good point. Never underestimate retard-strength.

"Me, Sloth....Sloth...Chunk....rocky roaaaaa-duh. Huh Huh."

bigskyjake

you heard the man
Silver Member
SpiderWebComm said:
Good point. Never underestimate retard-strength.

"Me, Sloth....Sloth...Chunk....rocky roaaaaa-duh. Huh Huh."

hahaha, Goonies was friggin classy

Chunk: "no guys I'm serious, it was like the time Micheal Jackson stopped at my house to use the bathroom"

TXsouthpaw

My tush hog
Silver Member
bigskyjake said:
Chunk: "no guys I'm serious, it was like the time Micheal Jackson stopped at my house to use the bathroom"

chunk: ok micheal jackson didnt stop by to use the bathroom..... but his sister did.:)

ejasons

Registered
Another Perspective

A thread like this comes up every few months or so, and I'm always amazed...

Good players rarely seem to have any problems with the nuances between APA/BCA rules, 10-ball rules, 7-ball rules, etc.

So, why is there such amazement at "Bar Rules"?

Yes, 8-ball "Bar Rules" aren't all standardized, but, any where west of the Mississippi, I've found them usually to consist of:

• Must call the entire shot (kisses, banks, etc.).
  • Rarely need to call movement off the long bank on the way in.
  • No fouls, other than scratches.
  • As such, defense is generally frowned upon. Some friends of mine have become rather adept at miscuing at times when they would prefer not to break up a cluster, and that the only path available to them.
  • Whatever balls are made on the break determine whether you are shooting at big or small balls.
  • A scratch gives the shooter the cue ball in the kitchen. If the only balls that he has available are also in the kitchen, he has to kick up the table and back.
  • Even though safeties are not generally allowed, if your next ball is the 8-ball, and the 8-ball is in the kitchen, it is considered a genius shot for your opponent to purposely hit the cue ball straight into a pocket (thus making you kick at the 8-ball).

Yes, the rules suck, and, ironically (given that the entire shot must be called), make the game a lot more susceptible to luck. I'm not suggesting that good players should like the rules, but am surprised that they are always so surprised by them. Seriously, have you guys never played in bars before?

Just think of it as a different game...

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
ejasons said:

Good players rarely seem to have any problems with the nuances between APA/BCA rules, 10-ball rules, 7-ball rules, etc.

Yes, 8-ball "Bar Rules" aren't all standardized, but, any where west of the Mississippi, I've found them usually to consist of:

• As such, defense is generally frowned upon. Some friends of mine have become rather adept at miscuing at times when they would prefer not to break up a cluster, and that the only path available to them.
  • Whatever balls are made on the break determine whether you are shooting at big or small balls.
  • A scratch gives the shooter the cue ball in the kitchen. If the only balls that he has available are also in the kitchen, he has to kick up the table and back.
  • Even though safeties are not generally allowed, if your next ball is the 8-ball, and the 8-ball is in the kitchen, it is considered a genius shot for your opponent to purposely hit the cue ball straight into a pocket (thus making you kick at the 8-ball).

Yes, the rules suck, and, ironically (given that the entire shot must be called), make the game a lot more susceptible to luck. I'm not suggesting that good players should like the rules, but am surprised that they are always so surprised by them. Seriously, have you guys never played in bars before?

I know this. It's not like I was shooting, someone called foul on me, and I got mad. If you read the original post, the girl was shooting...thought she fouled when she didn't and stopped shooting. I was just trying to get her to shoot again so I wouldn't feel bad when I ran out on my next shot (with whatever rules). I thought I was being a gentleman.

Ya ever notice that bar players know everything? I told this one guy last night that when you scratch on the 8 and not make the 8, it's ball in hand for the next player - except on the break. He all but broke out in an uncontrolled laughter and said..."EEEEEVERYBODY knows scratch on the 8 is a loss of game, you must be new or something."

Now that you mention it, I do have problems with APA rules and other weirdo rules. For the life of me, I can't figure out why a league wouldn't use the same rules pros play by (say, IPT rules) or a little more conservative, BCA. But that's just me and I'm guessing I'm in the minority because my views are REAL conservative on this subject. Don't get me wrong, I'm capable of winning with whatever rules... you'll just never see me play in anything with weirdo rules.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ejasons said:

I don't think it's amazement, just laughing at the backwards nature of it. Like Helfert said, a good player is going to adjust to the rules and beat the bangers in the long run. In fact if you ask a road player who he would rather match up with, a banger with some silly rules or a top player with standard rules and I'm guessing the road player will take the banger.

bigskyjake

you heard the man
Silver Member
Alright, since this is the comic relief thread I'll post up my recently finished " Breakfast at Kolby's Redux"
the redux includes Baconator wheels, cheesey poof exhaust pipe, Scott wearing a cowboy hat, Brady covered with poof dust, and finally Chupacabra and Corey Hart looking on from a distance

tgmstill2.jpg

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
She probably felt like you were "bending the rules" for her and since shoe was winning she took offense to it, prompting the alpha males to come to her "defense".
She was just "playing by the rules" you have to call every kiss and carom... I prefer to call ball and pocket myself (less arguements) but if they are playing call "shot" then I play their way. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "you didn't call it off of the 3 ball" I just say you're right and give up the table. Chances are I'll be back up there real soon anyway.
APA is the dominate league around here so most people play apa rules. I always ask what the rules are when I am playing someone I don't know or I'm in a new place.

On a side note, I do think a scratch on the 8 should be a loss of game.

B

Milo

NPL CHIX, WE DID IT!!!!!
Silver Member
Ok Bud, You can play my wife. HeHe

Years ago when my husband and I used to go to some small weekly tavern tourneys, he would start gambling with a regular after the tourney.
If the guy started getting mad that my husband was beating him too bad,
my hubby would ask him, "Hey Bud, wanna play my wife then" HeHe.

Geesh, my hubby sure did get me into some weird situations sometimes. LOL.

BVal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bigskyjake said:
Alright, since this is the comic relief thread I'll post up my recently finished " Breakfast at Kolby's Redux"
the redux includes Baconator wheels, cheesey poof exhaust pipe, Scott wearing a cowboy hat, Brady covered with poof dust, and finally Chupacabra and Corey Hart looking on from a distance

View attachment 71012
I love it Jake!

BVal