Comments about my game would be appreciated!

nfuids

eh?
Silver Member
Hello everyone,

Here is a video of me a couple months back, I'd like to have general comments about my game, areas you see I'm stronger/weaker, anything really. I'm the guy with a dark blue / grey shirt!

I won, but should have won earlier in the match, due to some unforced errors!
For the record, the guy I beat has a higher game level than I do (the equivalent of APA, but in Quebec), so I was happy to beat him! The evaluation felt like a tournament game, because we knew we were filmed and evaluated!

Also, please le me know what APA level do you think my game is, here in Canada we don't use APA ratings, so it'd be nice to have an idea of my APA level :)

Here is the youtube link: https://youtu.be/iwgN1eOVNto

Thanks!

Ponytail

...it's about consistency
Silver Member
Lacking a Pre-shot routine

I watched about 2.5 games. The biggest thing I see is your pre-shot routine is inconsistent at best, or missing altogether on many shots.

Back stroke looked fairly smooth, so that's a plus. Didn't see any shots where you had to shoot hard, so can't say how consistent that will be.

While APA rankings very greatly depending on the pool of players you're in, I'd say you're somewhere around a very strong 5, or average 6. That is strictly an opinion, so others may rank you differently.

Peace...

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree with poster above. 5 or 6 APA ranking. Looks like you have a good eye, didn't watch the whole thing but noticed your misses seemed to be undercut. Not sure if you were used to the speed of the table but noticed you overran position frequently.

You had a few very nice three rail inside English positional shots.

The breaks I saw were erratic (one had the cue ball graze the first one and go flying off the table.) Less power and focus on a smooth accurate stroke. You really don't need much power to break a 9 ball rack on fast cloth.

Good shooting, congrats on the win.

You need to work on your cueball positioning and patterns. I saw several times where you left yourself tough position or a really difficult shot.

You are in the right place to learn. There are several very good players that are in your academy.

I'd say APA 5....but I know you aren't working to be a league player. Keep pushing yourself and don't settle.

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I only watched for a little bit, I think he's corfortable playing, uses the bridge comfortably and doesn't fumble with it, the way he walks around the table with his cue. On that alone I'm saying he plays a lot, probally with weaker players. I'm going with lower level 6 but not a 5! I don't think this represents the best of him. Overall I like it, he's gonna get better for sure!!!

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
You asked for comments, so I'll give mine. I haven't watched all of the video, yet, but I'll fill in my post as I go. Obviously it's always easier to pick on the negative, rather than talk about the positives, so keep that in mind. Overall I think you play pretty good, but your patterns and thinking are holding you back. You shoot better than you play, if you know what I mean.

1. Potting is pretty good.
2. Position needs a lot of work. You seem to be either cinching a lot of shots with center ball, or not thinking through where you want the ball. There is a lot of "real estate" on the cueball you are not using! You should move diagonally on the table, not straight up and down or across! Watch the pros, to see how they always seem to move to or through the center of the table.
3. Position in terms of speed is also not very good, but would be better if you played better lines! Use angles to get around, don't try to get straight. Your opponent makes this mistake more than you, btw.

edit: removed the specific feedback, you wanted general. Sorry, my bad.

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Different areas, I guess. I suppose if we're talking APA 9-ball, then since they give away SL-6s like so many M&Ms on Halloween, then I suppose APA SL-6.

But watching your BIH at ~31 minutes, the standard rotation shots (Shot #1 or #2 in my book) you chose a shot that probably isn't in most good players thoughts, and you didn't get out. So, i'm thinking SL-5, and no better.

Your shot making could probably use a system, and working on your pattern/path play (the standard 5-7 shots in rotation) could jump your game up by 2 balls.

Your stroke... I'll let the professional instructors talk about that. If you were in my town, I'd ask you to revisit and hammer down a pre-shot routine (I don't think you have one) and get you to stroke with a purpose. Sometimes, it looks like you have no purpose, and you're not playing at least three balls at a time.

Freddie <~~~ worse than both of you combined

Last edited:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello everyone,

Here is a video of me a couple months back, I'd like to have general comments about my game, areas you see I'm stronger/weaker, anything really. I'm the guy with a dark blue / grey shirt!

I won, but should have won earlier in the match, due to some unforced errors!
For the record, the guy I beat has a higher game level than I do (the equivalent of APA, but in Quebec), so I was happy to beat him! The evaluation felt like a tournament game, because we knew we were filmed and evaluated!

Also, please le me know what APA level do you think my game is, here in Canada we don't use APA ratings, so it'd be nice to have an idea of my APA level :)

Here is the youtube link: https://youtu.be/iwgN1eOVNto

Thanks!

This may be a bit trivial, but I was observing, if chalk is making that much noise doesn't that mean:
#1 the chalk is too dry and not the right consistency to stay on the tip to be effective.
#2. You are not getting an even application of chalk to the tip.

I thought Bob jewett mentioned this in a recent post.
I'd have to go back in my history and search for it.

Just an observation of the little things.
Nice shooting and thanks for the video.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah I agree with everyone else. Pretty good shooting for a rookie and maybe being a little nervous on film.

I'll probably give you the 7. Straighten that wrist out and we can play even.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you're making the transition from a casual to a serious player but you're not there yet. If you want to make the transition complete, you're going to have to start getting more specific in your game.

Start getting more specific about where you want the cue ball to land. The means walking around the table to examine your options for your next shot. Even if you don't have the skill to get the cue ball where you want on a particular shot, start training yourself to at least pick a spot. It will eventually pay off.

Next, yes, you definitely need work on a more specific pre shot routine. Write it down in steps in the order you would like to think your thoughts as if you just approached the table after your opponent's miss. The order of your thoughts is important. You don't want to be down on a shot and remember that you didn't decide what speed you want to hit the cue ball. When you practice your routine, start over if you missed something in your order.

All this will take hard work but it's what you will need in order to complete the transition into a serious player.

nfuids

eh?
Silver Member
Thank you all for the comments!

Will definately try to work on a PSR! And everything else!

Thanks again!

nfuids

eh?
Silver Member
You asked for comments, so I'll give mine. I haven't watched all of the video, yet, but I'll fill in my post as I go. Obviously it's always easier to pick on the negative, rather than talk about the positives, so keep that in mind. Overall I think you play pretty good, but your patterns and thinking are holding you back. You shoot better than you play, if you know what I mean.

1. Potting is pretty good.
2. Position needs a lot of work. You seem to be either cinching a lot of shots with center ball, or not thinking through where you want the ball. There is a lot of "real estate" on the cueball you are not using! You should move diagonally on the table, not straight up and down or across! Watch the pros, to see how they always seem to move to or through the center of the table.
3. Position in terms of speed is also not very good, but would be better if you played better lines! Use angles to get around, don't try to get straight. Your opponent makes this mistake more than you, btw.

edit: removed the specific feedback, you wanted general. Sorry, my bad.

I guess specific feedback are welcomed as well :)

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have a good eye for thin cuts :thumbup:

Problem that sticks out to me the most is that you end up with those thin cuts a bit too often. Work on cue ball control and you will be golden. You can learn pattern play by watching the pros play but keep in mind that you (or I) dont have their stroke when it comes to really tough shots. Avoid taking on any "hero shots" as the percentages will be against you on those 3 rail around the table draw shots :grin:
Alex Pagulayan plays a simple pattern play, as does Souquet and Appleton in my opinion. Monsters like Shane seem to favor shots with more cue power needed so I wouldn't start by watchin players like him as I cant shoot half the shots he takes on so casually. Keeping it simple wins you games, that is what I have found the hard way :grin:

Other thing that caught my eye is that you seem to play in a bit of a hurry. Slow down just a bit when you are down on a shot, calming down your practice strokes can help you massively with speed control ;) If that fast pace is your thing then it may not help you but it is worth a try :eek: I just personally play a lot better when I give myself enough time and stay calm on shots ;)

I can't rate you by any rankings, I can only say that you would probably beat me or play about even on a big table with your shot making and I would beat you on the box with better cue ball control. Fair to say that you are more talented than I am and you will become a lot better than most players, including me, if you can put a string on the cue ball and keep it there :cool:

Keep it up and thanks for sharing the video. You definitely deserved to win that match :wink:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nfluids...All of the things mentioned are areas where you could improve a lot. As I mentioned to you, if you wanted to come down to Boston, I could work with you in two weeks. You mentioned that you were going to be traveling at that time.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

RFranklin

Ready, fire...aim
Silver Member
Rating

I would say you would be a solid 6 here in Austin. Your bridge looks a little awkward to me but you shoot pretty straight. I think most of your issues are about cue ball speed control. A few times I saw you get bad angles for length of table leaves but all in all good shooting.

Also, Scott Lee is worth your time. He will "show" you what you are doing wrong and give you a list of take aways to work on your weaknesses.

Shannon.spronk

Anybody read this?
Silver Member
I watched a few different parts of the match and one thing that stood out to me and it relates to your PSR. There were times where you were left with a hard shot and you just kind of got down and fired at it. It was almost like you recognized a difficult shot and figured "well it is hard anyway so it is okay if I miss it." Just kind of need to give each shot its due diligence. A good PSR would help this.

nfuids

eh?
Silver Member
I watched a few different parts of the match and one thing that stood out to me and it relates to your PSR. There were times where you were left with a hard shot and you just kind of got down and fired at it. It was almost like you recognized a difficult shot and figured "well it is hard anyway so it is okay if I miss it." Just kind of need to give each shot its due diligence. A good PSR would help this.

haha, so true, sometime that's exactly what goes through my mind!