Common SIDESPIN MYTHS Debunked

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video that debunks many common misconceptions and myths concerning the use of sidespin in pool. Clear demonstrations convincingly separate sidespin fact from fiction. Check it out:

Contents:
0:00 - Intro
0:10 - Myth 1 – Sidespin Changes CB Direction
2:33 - Myth 2 – Aiming With Sidespin Is Easy
3:53 - Myth 3 – LD Shafts Eliminate the Need to Adjust for CB Deflection
4:33 - Myth 4 – Throwing Balls in With Outside Spin is Necessary
6:16 - Myth 5 – Pros Don’t Use Sidespin Much
8:49 - Wrap Up

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice video. The only one that surprises me is that using outside isn't helpful. I can think of two ways it might be helpful, excluding the situation where you can't see the correct contact point and you need to use spin to make it: 1. Outside spin can reduce the chance of a skid, and 2. it can reduce throw and therefore allow you to contact the proper point on the object ball with no throw adjustment. You say that in the video, but you say that's it's hard to get right and that it introduces other factors that you need to account for. Still, I'm not sure it's a myth that it can be helpful.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice video. The only one that surprises me is that using outside isn't helpful. I can think of two ways it might be helpful, excluding the situation where you can't see the correct contact point and you need to use spin to make it: 1. Outside spin can reduce the chance of a skid, and 2. it can reduce throw and therefore allow you to contact the proper point on the object ball with no throw adjustment. You say that in the video, but you say that's it's hard to get right and that it introduces other factors that you need to account for. Still, I'm not sure it's a myth that it can be helpful.
I kind of agree to that myth 4 could be arguable. Most players, in their progression to start experimenting with spin, generally find outside spin as helpful to use on many cut angles. They may even get in to the habit of using outside for ball pocketing even when they don’t need it, like on 9-ball or 8-ball winning shots. By contrast, most amateur players are not nearly as comfortable using inside spin.

Justaneng

Registered
FYI, I just posted a new video that debunks many common misconceptions and myths concerning the use of sidespin in pool. Clear demonstrations convincingly separate sidespin fact from fiction. Check it out:

Contents:
4:33 - Myth 4 – Throwing Balls in With Outside Spin is Helpful

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy!

For Myth number 4: “Using outside spin to throw in cut shots is necessary” may be closer to a myth? Outside spin is clearly “helpful” in certain circumstances.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I kind of agree to that myth 4 could be arguable. Most players, in their progression to start experimenting with spin, generally find outside spin as helpful to use on many cut angles. They may even get in to the habit of using outside for ball pocketing even when they don’t need it, like on 9-ball or 8-ball winning shots. By contrast, most amateur players are not nearly as comfortable using inside spin.

Yes, if you watch pros shooting the last ball on the table, or doing those spots in the Predator events, they often use outside spin. Part of it may be to avoid a scratch, but I think it’s mostly because they think they’re more likely to make the ball.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice video.

Thanks.

The only one that surprises me is that using outside isn't helpful.

I probably should have used "necessary" instead of "helpful." I've changed this in the original post and in the YouTube video description and pinned comment. Unfortunately, I can't change the video at this point.

I can think of two ways it might be helpful, excluding the situation where you can't see the correct contact point and you need to use spin to make it: 1. Outside spin can reduce the chance of a skid, and 2. it can reduce throw and therefore allow you to contact the proper point on the object ball with no throw adjustment. You say that in the video, but you say that's it's hard to get right and that it introduces other factors that you need to account for. Still, I'm not sure it's a myth that it can be helpful.

Agreed. Outside spin can be helpful in certain situations. For those interested, I cover many of them via the info, videos, and links on the gearing outside spin resource page linked in the YouTube video description and mentioned in the video.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, if you watch pros shooting the last ball on the table, or doing those spots in the Predator events, they often use outside spin. Part of it may be to avoid a scratch, but I think it’s mostly because they think they’re more likely to make the ball.

The outside spin myth mostly relates to beginner and lower-intermediate players who like to use outside spin on every cut shot, and they miss some of them because they are not good at compensating for CB deflection.

Justaneng

Registered
The outside spin myth mostly relates to beginner and lower-intermediate players who like to use outside spin on every cut shot, and they miss some of them because they are not good at compensating for CB deflection.

I think the myth partially comes from us, the higher end APA players coaching the lower handicaps. Since every player hears of English very early on, “shoot it with a touch of high right” becomes a much easier thing to explain than “ok, there is this thing called throw….”

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think the myth partially comes from us, the higher end APA players coaching the lower handicaps. Since every player hears of English very early on, “shoot it with a touch of high right” becomes a much easier thing to explain than “ok, there is this thing called throw….”

The problem for these people with the sidespin is: "Ok, there are also these things called squirt and swerve (CB deflection), and they vary with shot distance and speed (and cue elevation, and cloth and ball conditions), and the amount of spin you need to cancel throw is different for every cut angle!"

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
I think Buddy Hall once described this as “the first shot most players learn is ‘low right’.”

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
I'm not sure what you mean. I you suggesting pro players don't use sidespin much?
No, the opposite. Apologies if it wasn’t clear. I meant myth 5 should have been busted.

I was agreeing it’s a myth. You often hear people saying pros almost never use English for a variety of reasons (their speed /position is so perfect they only ever need center ball, they never use spin because it’s too hard to be accurate, etc). It’s just not true.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Contents:
4:33 - Myth 4 – Throwing Balls in With Outside Spin is Necessary

Enjoy!
Thank you for continuing to post excellent content.
😎

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I remember when I first learned how to draw the cue ball effectively. It seemed like that was all I wanted to do for a couple of weeks. Like a kid in a candy store.
😳😁

Justaneng

Registered
I think Buddy Hall once described this as “the first shot most players learn is ‘low right’.”

I think the draw shot in general is what introduces people to the complexity of the game, you’re just banging balls around with your school friends until someone shows you that. That becomes the first thing people want to know how to do, unless your parents owned a pool hall and the bug caught you earlier.

Justaneng

Registered
The problem for these people with the sidespin is: "Ok, there are also these things called squirt and swerve (CB deflection), and they vary with shot distance and speed (and cue elevation, and cloth and ball conditions), and the amount of spin you need to cancel throw is different for every cut angle!"

This is largely a league thing, but one thing we struggle with is the largely variable interest, skill, and aptitude for the game. I think it ends up being an unexplored topic I feel, as on-line pool instruction tends to have a gear toward unlimited interest and available time.

Cue the “Blues Brothers” style intro: “It’s 4PM, you last picked up a cue 3 months ago, you can’t hit a stop shot - but your first league match is 7PM tonight, and you’re wearing sunglasses - let’s ride!”

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dr. Dave, Thanks for the awesome video! By the way, you can use the DigiBall as an object ball to measure the exact amount of spin-induced or cut-induced throw. It is very interesting. Once I have a few more made I'll send you one for playing around with.

And... I think that will be the last plug for the DigiBall for a while, I don't want to turn into a product promoter here. I am completely mentally exhausted from working so hard, I can use the whole month as December as a much needed break!

Enjoy!!