Common SIDESPIN MYTHS Debunked

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I think 55 percent from center is the theoretical limit. This looks about right.
55% is 5/8". I can't hit that far from center regularly. ~9/16" (50%) is my best.
55% is the largest I measured in the past.
I believe it. I probably just can't hit 55% as reliably as I can 50%. Another possibility is that I use the OB stripe (Aramith, placed vertically) to "measure" - any chance that's wider than 1 1/8"?

pj
chgo

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
I believe it. I probably just can't hit 55% as reliably as I can 50%. Another possibility is that I use the OB stripe (Aramith, placed vertically) to "measure" - any chance that's wider than 1 1/8"?

pj
chgo
Many ball sets have stripes wider than 1 1/8”. Easy to check with 3 of them in a cluster with stripes parallel.

Centennials are the right width. Not sure about all Aramiths.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Many ball sets have stripes wider than 1 1/8”. Easy to check with 3 of them in a cluster with stripes parallel.

That's how I checked (a long time ago) - even took a picture, but can't find it now. Pretty sure they were Centennials.

pj
chgo

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

The stripes on Aramith Tournament and Super Aramith Pro balls are about 1 1/4" wide.

The Centennial stripes look to me to be close to 1 1/16". The stripes do not line up perfectly in the 3-balls-in-a-cluster test (at least the ones I have).

My Centennials were "current" as of about a dozen years ago. It's possible that the stripe was exactly 1/2-ball wide on some earlier version(s) of the Centennials, but I don't have any of those to check.

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video that debunks many common misconceptions and myths concerning the use of sidespin in pool. Clear demonstrations convincingly separate sidespin fact from fiction. Check it out:

Contents:
0:00 - Intro
0:10 - Myth 1 – Sidespin Changes CB Direction
2:33 - Myth 2 – Aiming With Sidespin Is Easy
3:53 - Myth 3 – LD Shafts Eliminate the Need to Adjust for CB Deflection
4:33 - Myth 4 – Throwing Balls in With Outside Spin is Necessary
6:16 - Myth 5 – Pros Don’t Use Sidespin Much
8:49 - Wrap Up

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy!

FYI, I just posted a follow-up video in a new thread. The new video covers many shot types people mentioned here and on social media:

Enjoy!

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched the video a few days ago, it was well made.

Dr Dave, are you targeting beginners with your more recent videos? This one seemed like it was such basic stuff.

My only issue with the video is the way it introduced the section about is sidespin needed, do pros use it, etc. It left the impression that pros only use sidespin if there is not a better way. This is really wrong. Pros use sidespin on just about every single shot under the sun. We have to get away from the idea that center (vertical) ball is the way to play pool. It not even close to reality. The introduction should have been something like: "Pros use sidespin nearly 95% of the time! Here is why its the best way to play, and why you should use it as much as the pros do".

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The Centennial stripes look to me to be close to 1 1/16". The stripes do not line up perfectly in the 3-balls-in-a-cluster test (at least the ones I have).
Here's the pic I took years ago - looks like you're right.

pj
chgo

stripes.jpg

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's the pic I took years ago - looks like you're right.

pj
chgo

View attachment 731731
Just checked my Centennials. It’s surprisingly hard to get them perfectly straight, but mine look very slightly less than half the diameter as well. I think in the past I’ve only tried this quickly and they looked to line up at first glance.

1702094485353.jpeg

Last edited: