Conflicting reports regarding BB

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been a HUGE bonus ball supporter and I can't imagine any of the haters dreaming up a better disaster.

First they start late, then no sound, then they get sound but a three second lag every three seconds no exaggeration.

Then non stop safeties in a game that is designed for offensive scoring action. (This was actually great for the one pocket fans)

Then there was plenty of confusion with rules. (This was good for those that enjoy seeing Earl pissed)

Then the worst part was when the viewer finally starts to understand that the games are super close and exciting with the lag only happening for one second every ten seconds, they cut us right the F*** off at halftime.

No score updates, no telling us whether we will get to see the rest of the match, just left us to refresh for hours with a countdown to tomorrow's match.

Keep in mind I'm a big supporter that bought a bonus ball set AND won two bets tonight, betting on Earl and company.

Having said all that, I am just that much hungrier to see a perfect stream.

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is how much these players LOVE bonus ball.

None of them knew the damn rules. They were suppose to start in November, they were in Vegas and being paid at the time. Now if this game is so good, why do they not know the rules with 6 months of practice time?

I guess they are just saying what they are paid to say, none of these clowns really like this game. I know of 3 of them playing in the same room as I during those months. Not once did I ever witness them practicing this game.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is how much these players LOVE bonus ball.

None of them knew the damn rules. They were suppose to start in November, they were in Vegas and being paid at the time. Now if this game is so good, why do they not know the rules with 6 months of practice time?

I guess they are just saying what they are paid to say, none of these clowns really like this game. I know of 3 of them playing in the same room as I during those months. Not once did I ever witness them practicing this game.

I was thinking the same thing...this is supposed to be what saves pool, and with six months the players still don't care enough about it to even know the rules!

Supposedly it's not targeted towards actual players for viewing audience, but I didn't see a thing that would interest any non-pool playing person. Nothing at all to draw people in that don't already play. As a player, I was mildly interested because of the level of play, but that is all. I guess I just don't "get it". Heck, at one point, Archer even got up to gather the balls for the next rack because the girl, who's only job was to do just that, was so bored that she didn't even realize it was her turn to do something!

JD_Hogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The naysayers were right. I thought and hoped this might have a chance but was completely wrong.

Its not the effort put in from the guys its just the game and format stink.

The only real chance pool has is a tourney format like tennis, single elimination with a big prize at the end to make it compelling and exciting.

I'll prob still watch a bit for as long as this train wreck survives which won't be long(just cause i love pool) but im afraid its a lost cause.

Sad cause the boys put in a lota hard work and passion --- hope they don't loose it cause we need people like them!

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whoa Nellie. Let's not become nattering nabobs of negativism. :frown:

[Favorite quote of Spiro Agnew when referring to the media.] :wink:

We don't want to turn into an effete corps of impudent snobs.

[Another Spiro Agnew quote.] :grin-square:

Carry on. :smile:

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That's all well and good, Jenny, but.....even you don't seem to have anything positive to say about it. I would love to hear something positive, but I just don't see it. ???? It's not about being snobs, it's more about being realist.

SloMoHolic

When will then be now?
Silver Member

Alas, my girlfriend broke up with me after this show. :(

-Nabob

PS Yes, seriously, she did. But I can't quite bring myself to blame BB for it. :)

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's all well and good, Jenny, but.....even you don't seem to have anything positive to say about it. I would love to hear something positive, but I just don't see it. ???? It's not about being snobs, it's more about being realist.

The positive things I can say at this juncture would be I think it has given the pro pool players something to grasp onto as far as a direction. It isn't a unified tour of sorts, something we all would hope for, but it is unity.

The BB website is very innovative and cool. I love that each time you click a new screen, two new players show up. I must say that I have not seen Earl Strickland in a long, long time, and he really looks different sans his mustache. Of course, he will be 51 years old next month.

One thing I am slowly starting to understand in this pool world is the necessity for me to apply myself to understand where others are coming from. By my own admission, I have strong views on certain subject matters, but if I only listen to echoes of myself, I will never understand where other people are coming from.

I realize we will never all agree on everything, but I think it is important that these differences don't produce gridlock or an incapacity for pool to advance.

I was speaking to a pro player last night about BB, one who is not a BB team player, and I asked why he wasn't interested in being a BB team player. Well, it turns out that he's making more money where he's at playing pool, and to him, that was more important than being a BB team member. Not everybody has the capability as this player, though, to make money in pool. He did not have anything negative to say about BB; in fact, he thought it was good for some players who need regularity in their pool world instead of going to tournaments here and there, having to win, place or show to break even.

So there you have it! :thumbup:

Poolshootindon

Registered Pool Offender
Silver Member
?????????????????

Choo Choo.

Can we spell "TRAIN WRECK"

What a mess that was. 6 months or longer to get this figured out and they still failed.

I guess the promoters of Bonus Ball never heard of the old saying "You only get one chance to make a First impression".

The impression I got was this will never work in a league format. If the PRO's can't get it figured out after 6 + months of practice, how are the amateur's going to figure it out.

And what does it say about the players. Cant even get the damn rules straight for their first show.

There's more but I am getting bored typing (just like I was last night trying to watch BB).

Don

Poolshootindon

Registered Pool Offender
Silver Member
need regularity??

The positive things I can say at this juncture would be I think it has given the pro pool players something to grasp onto as far as a direction. It isn't a unified tour of sorts, something we all would hope for, but it is unity.

The BB website is very innovative and cool. I love that each time you click a new screen, two new players show up. I must say that I have not seen Earl Strickland in a long, long time, and he really looks different sans his mustache. Of course, he will be 51 years old next month.

One thing I am slowly starting to understand in this pool world is the necessity for me to apply myself to understand where others are coming from. By my own admission, I have strong views on certain subject matters, but if I only listen to echoes of myself, I will never understand where other people are coming from.

I realize we will never all agree on everything, but I think it is important that these differences don't produce gridlock or an incapacity for pool to advance.

I was speaking to a pro player last night about BB, one who is not a BB team player, and I asked why he wasn't interested in being a BB team player. Well, it turns out that he's making more money where he's at playing pool, and to him, that was more important than being a BB team member. Not everybody has the capability as this player, though, to make money in pool. He did not have anything negative to say about BB; in fact, he thought it was good for some players who need regularity in their pool world instead of going to tournaments here and there, having to win, place or show to break even.

Jam..

When I got to "need regularity" in your post the first thing that popped into my head was "Ex-lax".

Gotta be careful with that stuff or you will S**T all over yourself just like Bonus Ball did last night..

Don

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sorry Jen, but even you have to admit that you had to reach pretty far for that post. And, with all that reaching all you could come up with was that it has put a little money in some pros pockets for six months, and they have a website you think is cool. Sorry, but that isn't going to advance pool much if any.

I was really hoping they would do something with the players to get people interested in them. Give people a reason to root for or against them....nothing. Nothing more than another pool game that no one seems to understand. That's not going to cut it. They have to give the public a reason to watch, and they didn't do that.

Seems like their whole concept is based on fans supporting a team and that's it. But, no reason to support any particular team unless you happen to be from one of the areas listed as having a team.

Last edited:

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I was sad I had to miss the stream because I had league, but this thread makes me less sad I missed it.

If they had all these technical glitches and rules screwups with several extra months to prep, imagine how rough it would have been if they'd started on time.

The rules issue coulda been ironed out by keeping everything the same and just having them play 10b or something.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A debut that featured an unwatchable stream and participants who were unfamiliar with the rules equals failure. People are not going to toss money at a production, in hopes that it gets acceptable.

Like JD_Hogg said, that is '...sad cause the boys put in a lota hard work and passion'.

Poolshootindon

Registered Pool Offender
Silver Member
As Far as Rules go

Maybe the Promoters of Bonus Ball should have some more rule books printed
with very large fonts (don't want to cause eye strain with the small text).

When a player is not in a match they should be going over the rules until its second nature to them.

This will be a start.

Don

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
I had a completely open mind, not only have I not posted in a single BB thread, I've read very few.

IMO, it was unwatchable in every single regard. My wife, not a pool player, thought it was a joke or bad parody like a bad SNL sketch.

Just when you thought it couldn't get worse for pool...

Roger Long

Sonoran Cue Creations
Silver Member
Choo Choo.

Can we spell "TRAIN WRECK"

What a mess that was. 6 months or longer to get this figured out and they still failed.

I guess the promoters of Bonus Ball never heard of the old saying "You only get one chance to make a First impression".

The impression I got was this will never work in a league format. If the PRO's can't get it figured out after 6 + months of practice, how are the amateur's going to figure it out.

And what does it say about the players. Cant even get the damn rules straight for their first show.

There's more but I am getting bored typing (just like I was last night trying to watch BB).

Don

Bonus Ball hasn't failed at anything...yet. Yes, they've had some major obstacles to overcome, but they overcame them all so far, and I'm sure they'll overcome this one, too. Setbacks are to be expected in any venture, but honest and determined effort usually wins out in the end.

Roger

Roger Long

Sonoran Cue Creations
Silver Member
I had a completely open mind, not only have I not posted in a single BB thread, I've read very few.

IMO, it was unwatchable in every single regard. My wife, not a pool player, thought it was a joke or bad parody like a bad SNL sketch.

Just when you thought it couldn't get worse for pool...

At least you got to see something. I paid for the entire season and never got to see the first minute of last night's match. The site had already crashed by the time I tried to log on. But I'm not upset. The WPBL will get everything straightened out in due time.

Roger