Congrats to our Own OMGWTF 2nd Place US Amateur

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
OMGWTF would have barfed on the camera...she was so sick.

As I said, I read her account and have no problem with it. Being sick sucks. Maybe she coulda told them how bad she was feeling and had to bolt as a result, but when you feel that bad, you don't always think of everything.

I was just pointing out to the other guy that you can't just say "There is absolutely nothing wrong with not having your picture taken", if you signed the agreement.

In this particular case, I don't see that its a big deal.

blah blah

Shoebat
I'd like to see that consent clause, because i think APA Operator is getting confused between a consent to use a tourney player's image and name on the one hand, and a player's duty to stand for a photo, on command of the tourney officials, on the other.

Last edited:

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
Except for that little detail of when you sign up for the tournament, you consent to having your photo taken.

I'm not knocking OMGWTF, I read her account of the weekend, and I always enjoy reading what she has to say. Just pointing out the fact that you missed.

I've never seen that on a sign-up sheet for a tournament. Even if it did, what are they going to do, not pay her??? O that's right, they weren't paying her anyway... :wink:

I wouldn't have either. Some people just don't like taking pictures, myself included. I respect that.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will they bar her from future no prize money amateur events?

Will she invest in the cost of travel to the East Coast again for another?

Don't think so.

APA Operator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would expect nothing less from an APA Operator. You should give it a rest. There is absolutely nothing wrong with not having your picture taken. You are too worried about what she does. Its her 'Right' to not pose for your pic. Then you come on here sounding like a Communist on the Board of Ethics Committee. Repeatedly knocking her character in a thread that was started to congratulate her on her finish. Start your own thread and lets watch people come out the woodwork to criticize you and the APA.

Chris

If you read everything I've posted in this thread, you would know that I'm not trying to knock anyone's character. I'm saying there are ways to handle the issue so that the behavior is not (mis)interpreted as sour grapes.

APA Operator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to see that consent clause, because i think APA Operator is getting confused between a consent to use a tourney player's image and name on the one hand, and a player's duty to stand for a photo, on command of the tourney officials, on the other.

I'm not, and I'm glad you pointed that out. Here's the actual text in the rules of participation, which can be found on the national site:

"Recording and Reproduction I consent to the taping (audio and video) and/or photographing of my participation in the U.S. Amateur Championship, and grant APA and all other sponsors the right to use and reproduce my name, voice, and likeness in any and all photographs and video reproductions taken or made of myself for any purpose whatsoever. I release APA and all other sponsors, their employees, agents, successors and assigns from any liability whatsoever for such use and reproduction of my name, voice, and likeness. I agree that the photographs, videos and sound tracks taken or made of me are the exclusive property of APA and/or all other sponsors, and I waive any right of inspection or review."

I said she consented to being photographed, and clearly that's what the first part of this rule says. I only meant to use her consent as reasoning for my earlier statement, that she had to know that APA already had photographs of her and that those photos would make their way onto the APA's website and into their magazine. And they have. Instead of her posing with a trophy, the photo is of her down on a shot. If the issue was ever really about not wanting publicity, then she should have known that declining the trophy photo would not achieve her goal.

Here's what she should have done, if her desire was to stay low-profile. TALK to a tournament official and ask them not to publicize photos or video of her. APA would have no problem with that whatsoever. Even though she consented, they would respect her wishes. In fact, if she contacted them now and asked them to remove all video or still images of her from their site, they would do so. The release is simply in the rules to keep participants from suing the APA for damages if something bad happens as a result of the published photos, or from demanding a royalty if somehow it could be shown that use of those photos resulted in a profit for APA.

Now, if she simply doesn't like to pose, then that would be the case win or lose, right? Again, my suggestion is say something before you lose and it's a non-issue.

APA Operator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I said, I read her account and have no problem with it. Being sick sucks. Maybe she coulda told them how bad she was feeling and had to bolt as a result, but when you feel that bad, you don't always think of everything.

I was just pointing out to the other guy that you can't just say "There is absolutely nothing wrong with not having your picture taken", if you signed the agreement.

In this particular case, I don't see that its a big deal.

I read the blog too, and if this was a one-time thing I wouldn't have an issue. I know of two other extremely similar instances, though. Was she sick all three times? I don't know, but like they say, two is a coincidence, three is a pattern. If she has a pattern of getting sick in the finals, maybe she should let someone know beforehand.

ceodynamo

Have cue will travel
Silver Member
congrats on gettting 2nd place in nationals. Its a great accomplishment you should feel very proud of yourself and absolutely feel like all the hard work has payed off.