Coring help

buck85

Registered
I have a cue Smith delux lathe how does everyone else put their coring bits in or how do you mount on tool post

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a cue Smith delux lathe how does everyone else put their coring bits in or how do you mount on tool post

Coring bits? Do you mean boring bar?
On a Deluxe you would mount the gun drill in the tailstock.
But if you mean a boring bar, that would be on a toolholder, either the QCTP type or the gold anodized 2 or 4 way toolposts.

buck85

Registered
No I have coring bits but if you need to core a long piece of wood putting in my tail stock only allows you to go in an inch or two at a time so is there a different way

JC

Coos Cues
No I have coring bits but if you need to core a long piece of wood putting in my tail stock only allows you to go in an inch or two at a time so is there a different way

It depends on which lathe you have. The one with the leadscrew isn't strong enough motor wise to core balsa wood without a different motor.

If you have the one with the fixed head and the rack and pinion here's what I do. I get the gun drill started straight with the tailstock and then lay a scrap of wood 3 inches or so long on the dovetail at the back end of the tailstock. Then I bring the carriage up behind it with the drive motor installed on the lowest speed and slightly loosen the tailstock on the dovetail. The motor on the carriage feeds the gun drill right on through while you stand back and supervise. A nice dust collection device makes it clean and painless. Make sure your wood has at least a slight taper on it and drill the wood in the direction of pushing it tighter in the chucks or it can and will vibrate loose.

If you have the lathe with the leadscrew and have a stronger motor no doubt you could core in much the same manner.

JC

Last edited:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just use the tailstock. It only take a few minutes to core. People have pushed their tailstocks with the power feed and carriage but some of them have also shattered the carbide boring cutters.

GrimmCustomCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use my carriage and qctp to hold my gun drill and I wouldn't do it any other way. If you would like to see how mine is set up let me know.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Use the tailstock............1 inch at a time.... move the tailstock forward and drill another inch......... you have full control of the feed rate............. what's the problem??

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Making sure the core drill has the proper profile for wood and is nice and sharp.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Making sure the core drill has the proper profile for wood and is nice and sharp.

There is a profile for wood????? I have never heard that.

Mine are all metal drills and work just fine...................

Kim