Critique My Mechanics!

teedotaj

teedot oohhhhhh
Silver Member
Critique My Mechanics/Fundamentals!

I'm hoping to get feedbacks from you guys regarding my mechanics.

I don't have much footage of myself playing. Here is probably the best one. It's a short clip of me doing a common drill.

Click here to see the clip

I noticed a thing or two that needs to be improved. I won't mention them yet cuz I wanna hear what you guys think too and see if you see the same mistakes I see.

btw I know I need to get a better camera..this was taken on my phone by a friend and no I don't think I will be getting more footage anytime soon.

Thank You!
Aaron

Last edited:

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bro i'm no instructor but something seems odd to me. i think it's that on your final stroke when you're going to pull the trigger, you move the tip half way toward the cue ball then poke/stroke the ball.

it's creeping toward the cb that i think is strange. it also looks like you're putting your weight on your front leg in some of the shots. it looks like you're real aware of the camera and you're focusing on your fundamentals

teedotaj

teedot oohhhhhh
Silver Member
bro i'm no instructor but something seems odd to me. i think it's that on your final stroke when you're going to pull the trigger, you move the tip half way toward the cue ball then poke/stroke the ball.

it's creeping toward the cb that i think is strange
. it also looks like you're putting your weight on your front leg in some of the shots. it looks like you're real aware of the camera and you're focusing on your fundamentals

Yup you're right! That is actually the first on my list of things that I noticed that should probably go away. I had no idea I did this until I saw this clip. I think I only do this when I try to hold the pause at my back swing.

Is putting weight on your front leg a bad thing? I don't know if I do this or not but as you pointed out it looks like I do.

haha and no I don't care about the camera yo! but maybe?

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
#1 your set position is inconsistent... STOP your cue right at the CB and pause a moment make sure that is where you want to strike it

#2 your bridge length is inconsistent and really long I thought I had a long bridge..

#3 and probably worst of all your cue is not level EVER

#4 your elbow drop is erratic watch your tip come up on every shot..almost certainly due to elbow drop though tight grip may also play a role

your tip needs to go straight through the ball ... that swooping upwards is killing you.. I'd bet cash that you have inconsistent draw.. bet you can do it sometimes but not all the time.. and the times you can do it your guessing as the where the CB ends up

if you insist on dropping your elbow something I don't recommend.. but if you simply refuse to change it.. it has to happen after the CB is gone.. and if it happens after.. why do it at all?

tough to see an eye pattern... lose the hat at least for diagnostic purposes... and try to get some footage from the other side of your body so we can fully see the stroke motion.. it's hard to guess what is happening with your body in the way..edit.. there is one shot near the end that shows your stroking arm... way to much motion you are making things harder than they need to be..

1 on 1 professional instruction would be your best bet..

hope that helps:thumbup:

Last edited:

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yup you're right! That is actually the first on my list of things that I noticed that should probably go away. I had no idea I did this until I saw this clip. I think I only do this when I try to hold the pause at my back swing.

Is putting weight on your front leg a bad thing? I don't know if I do this or not but as you pointed out it looks like I do.

haha and no I don't care about the camera yo! but maybe?

it just looks like you're body isn't as stable as it could be. you want the stress of your weight to be on your bones not your muscles

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
duly noted :thumbup:

Where're you from man? what do they rate you there?

you should look into taking lessons. i took 1 lesson with scott lee and i thought it was over rated. the next week i was playing really well (for me) and in noticed that i was doing all the things that he told me to do.

worth it man!

XCuePool

Banned
lol, with the length of your bridge, you might as well have been shooting one handed. I'm surprised you made all those balls in:thumbup:

teedotaj

teedot oohhhhhh
Silver Member
#1 your set position is inconsistent... STOP your cue right at the CB and pause a moment make sure that is where you want to strike it
I'm not sure if we're seeing the same thing here. I double check the vid in each of the shots and it seems I have the cue tip right in front of the cb.

#2 your bridge length is inconsistent and really long I thought I had a long bridge..
yup. neil pointed that out lol I think it's cuz of my preference of shooting on the rail. will work on moving it down the table bed though.

#3 and probably worst of all your cue is not level EVER
I didn't think it was soo bad but I guess I'll work on making it more level. I think that also will get fixed once I learn to shorten my bridge

#4 your elbow drop is erratic watch your tip come up on every shot..almost certainly due to elbow drop though tight grip may also play a role

your tip needs to go straight through the ball ... that swooping upwards is killing you.. I'd bet cash that you have inconsistent draw.. bet you can do it sometimes but not all the time.. and the times you can do it your guessing as the where the CB ends up

That's the other "mistake" I caught watching myself play. I didn't realise I did that (swooping upwards part). I wonder why I do that? You offered an answer with the elbow drop so I guess I'll see if I can lock my elbow more and see if the swooping up goes away. I disagree with your analysis with my draw tho ;)

there is one shot near the end that shows your stroking arm... way to much motion you are making things harder than they need to be..
I caught that too. Tough to judge since that was the only shot of my right side of the body but I'm sure I do it more than a couple of times. That particular shot I really dropped my elbow. Will work on it.

hope that helps:thumbup:
A bit harsh but it sure did help! Thanks!!

aaron

teedotaj

teedot oohhhhhh
Silver Member
it wasn't intended to be harsh.. was just calling it like I saw it..

if your draw is ok now .. it will be world class if you can stop the swoop:thumbup:

haha nono harsh in a sense that..."damn i really suck! and i thought i was ok!" kinda harsh lol

i appreciate everything tho! :thumbup:

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
I'm not sure if we're seeing the same thing here. I double check the vid in each of the shots and it seems I have the cue tip right in front of the cb.

but it doesn't stop it's in constant motion... you need to stop at 3 points in your stroke.. at least for a moment.. your cue never stops

yup. neil pointed that out lol I think it's cuz of my preference of shooting on the rail. will work on moving it down the table bed though.

shooting off the rail is a necessary adjustment.. but should never be you first choice

I didn't think it was soo bad but I guess I'll work on making it more level. I think that also will get fixed once I learn to shorten my bridge

I didn't see a single shot that had a level set position.. shooting off the rail is partly to blame... that's why you should only do that when you are forced to

That's the other "mistake" I caught watching myself play. I didn't realise I did that (swooping upwards part). I wonder why I do that? You offered an answer with the elbow drop so I guess I'll see if I can lock my elbow more and see if the swooping up goes away. I disagree with your analysis with my draw tho ;)

try loosening up your grip as well.. as that plays a role... and p.s. when you DO draw poorly the swoop is the reason why..;)

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
I'm hoping to get feedbacks from you guys regarding my mechanics.

I don't have much footage of myself playing. Here is probably the best one. It's a short clip of me doing a common drill.

Click here to see the clip

I noticed a thing or two that needs to be improved. I won't mention them yet cuz I wanna hear what you guys think too and see if you see the same mistakes I see.

btw I know I need to get a better camera..this was taken on my phone by a friend and no I don't think I will be getting more footage anytime soon.

Thank You!
Aaron

Aaron. All of the above are obvious in the video, but there are many things that can't be seen from the angle the camera was set up, so we really can't pinpoint all the problems. You seem to be making balls, so I would guess your aim and alignment are probably ok...but the other things are probably holding back your game.

Find a qualified instructor who knows how to use video, and can get you on the right path. The longer you wait, the more difficult it will be to turn things around. But, be prepared to make some changes if you go to an instructor. Remember, if you aren't willing to change what you do, you can expect only the same results you've always gotten.

Let me know where you are, and I will see if I can recommend someone in your area to help.

Steve

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Believe it or not, that is the reality for many students who post video looking for advice. While you may not "suck", you can certainly improve on what you do, and how you do it. That's the essence of the info softshot, poolplayer 2093, and pooltchr were offering...which was spot on btw.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

haha nono harsh in a sense that..."damn i really suck! and i thought i was ok!" kinda harsh lol

i appreciate everything tho! :thumbup:

Last edited: