CSI Predator US Pro Series-LAS VEGAS OPEN (23-26 March 2022), 9ft, $125K Prizemoney, 192 players

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's the fine print of "legal and called shot". The break isn't called. So it doesn't count on the break, but could count on a later combo so long as it's called.
Re-read his post. There is a second picture about the 10 ball on the break counting.

Their online rules haven't been updated. Great rule change.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He's publicly complained about the format for the last year. He certainly seem checked out.

I entered spectating the match prepared for a similar mindset. But watching the it I saw Shane win 4-1 then lose 4-3. So he was put in a shootout when he would have been up 7-5. And he missed his first shot and they both held serve from there on out to lose true shootout 4-3.

He didn’t play like it’s 2012. He missed some shots and shapes that we would have taken for granted a decade ago. But I wouldn’t have said he looked checked out. He simply is a legend past his apex still playing top level pool and the format didn’t do him any favors.

But looking at his eyes… He seemed in it to win it. He looked hungry.

oknazevad

Registered
I entered spectating the match prepared for a similar mindset. But watching the it I saw Shane win 4-1 then lose 4-3. So he was put in a shootout when he would have been up 7-5. And he missed his first shot and they both held serve from there on out to lose true shootout 4-3.

He didn’t play like it’s 2012. He missed some shots and shapes that we would have taken for granted a decade ago. But I wouldn’t have said he looked checked out. He simply is a legend past his apex still playing top level pool and the format didn’t do him any favors.

You can understand based on that result why he's not a fan of the format. But he's not out of it yet, he's just got to make his way through the losers bracket in the double elimination portion.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not at all. He played like he couldn't have given a f*ck about being there. He rushed through his shots, routine, everything. Even the awful commentators highlighted it constantly. Guess you watched a different match or had too prepared of a mindset. :unsure:

Of course he did finish "regulation" up 7-5 games but that is a different story. :LOL:

Last edited:

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not at all. He played like he couldn't have given a f*ck about being there. He rushed through his shots, routine, everything. Even the awful commentators highlighted it constantly. Guess you watched a different match or had too prepared of a mindset. :unsure:

Of course he did finish "regulation" up 7-5 games but that is a different story. :LOL:
Agreed. The format definitely didn't cause him to lose, his poor play did. I'm a huge SVB fan, but his safeties were bad, his speed control was bad, and he was missing balls. If he makes a post blaming the format I'll lose a bit of respect for him.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Opinion

Overall if I was to critique SVBs performance I would say:
1) His break wasn't keeping the CB center table so he couldn't run away with the set like we're used to.
2) He overamped two shots to spoil important runouts during set 2.
3) As Tin Man would say, he was failing to generate opportunities in his safety, kick-safe and pushout game.

It clearly wasn't his A game. I think that happens to all of us. You play a weaker opponent and suddenly you're playing down to their level. And not for lack of heart or effort. It just feels like things keep stacking against you. A couple rolls go against you. And you get an upset. I think to say he played like he didn't care to be there is a little unfair because (A) we'd be judging his mindset for the whole tournament based off the performance of one race-to-four set and (B) we don't know what's in his mind beyond trying to extrapolate from our knowledge he doesn't like the format.

Match Details

I do remember the commentators mentioning him stepping back into his stance instead of forward on an easy shot that he made anyway. We also have to recognize how badly the table was rolling to the right in the upper-right corner.

Obviously he played strong the first set taking 4-1. The second set is where it got funny. Souto plays a weak safe offering SVB an easy half masse but he clips the obstructing ball on the way in and gives ball in hand. He wanted that to do over again.

Second rack Souto plays safe after the break and SVB misses the kick by just a hair and gives ball-in-hand. It was a really good effort with a bad outcome. He's down 2-0.

Third rack Souto plays a weak push-out. SVB struggling to get into the match rushes to the table to make a statement and dogs his safety. This was likely the moment he reminds himself he needs to bare down. But fortunately Souto couldn't break out the 8 and 9 at the end of his runout so SVB steals the rack back 2-1.

SVB then has a pushout that Souto gives back and SVB converts into what looks to start a run but he overamped the 3 ball with top spin and the cueball takes off too fast off the short rail to send straight back to a scratch. Souta makes an easy early 10 ball combo. 3-1.

Next rack Souto blows position and gets nothing out of his kick. SVB shoots to the bad corner and the table roll yanks the object hard to the side rail. Safeties exchanged for multiple innings until Souto double kisses the ball. SVB again overamps a ball into bad position and plays a bad safe. Souto starts a run but botches the 9-ball. Safeties exchanged and Souto double kisses the ball again. SVB claws to 3-2.

SVB breaks for an easy early 10 ball combo. 3-3.

SVB break and has a tree-topped cueball. Pushes for the same shot with clearance (smart). Souto misses and gets a roll narrowly avoiding a scratch. SVB goes for a hero 2-rail kick-bank to combo in some hanging side pocket balls. I think he was really planning on a safe but called something anyway. Unfortunately he catches the 1 thin and sends it in the pocket (not called). Souto cinches a tester on the 2 and runs a good rack. 4-3.

Then the shootout. SVB misses his first and then they both make all theirs. Souto wins 4-3.