Cue Ball Frozen to a Cushion ... No Problem

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video that demonstrates how to deal with a wide range of game situations where the cue ball is frozen to a cushion, sometimes along with the object ball. Check it out:

Contents:
0:00 - Intro
0:37 - Bridging Options
2:23 - Using Rail-Side Spin
4:53 - On-the-Rail CB Control
5:53 - Cushion Compression Escape
6:40 - Wrap Up
---- 6:50 - shot montage

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I learned a wonderfully effective and simple 1p response for a specific situation.

Will I see it? We will see!!!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I happen to be knocking balls off the table now..

First pick is the layout of the shot second pick is the next player shot.

You just hit it with high inside English- light but confident pace- and right in the face.

It double kisses, CB to the bottom rail and then back up to that side rail.

Not always the right shot.. but sometimes it is.
Screenshot_20240202-174402.jpg
Screenshot_20240202-174340.jpg

Last edited:

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Great vid. What would you recommend as the optimal configuration for a modified cue to have a tip that is not flat, but angled instead?

Amazing insight, the mathematics of a flat cue tip feels dated, is it possible for cue tips to have variable geometry?

Thanks DrDave. If you don't have the answers its ok, just say so.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I happen to be knocking balls off the table now..

First pick is the layout of the shot second pick is the next player shot.

You just hit it with high inside English- light but confident pace- and right in the face.

It double kisses, CB to the bottom rail and then back up to that side rail.

Not always the right shot.. but sometimes it is.View attachment 741085View attachment 741086

You might like some of these other double-kiss and herd shot game winners:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great vid. What would you recommend as the optimal configuration for a modified cue to have a tip that is not flat, but angled instead?

Amazing insight, the mathematics of a flat cue tip feels dated, is it possible for cue tips to have variable geometry?

Thanks DrDave. If you don't have the answers its ok, just say so.

Sorry, but I can’t think of any useful answers.

jbart65

Always great to see new DrD vids. I’ve watched so many, repeatedly, that my brain stem has a permanent location for the good doctor.

Cant get my Olhausen to accept the ball on the short end-rail shots demonstrated in the vid, however. The ones to get down table. Got to try on my local pool hall’s GCs.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Always great to see new DrD vids. I’ve watched so many, repeatedly, that my brain stem has a permanent location for the good doctor.

I'm glad to hear it.

Cant get my Olhausen to accept the ball on the short end-rail shots demonstrated in the vid, however. The ones to get down table. Got to try on my local pool hall’s GCs.

It was tough for me to get the outside follow shot to go on my Olhausen also (because the throw direction is unfavorable), but the inside draw shots (where the throw direction is favorable) went in like butter.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Going pro
Gold Member
I like that off the rail slightly shot(on the 11)when a lot farther back with 11 ball frozen just or just mm off the rail. CB anywhere up to maybe 4/5 inches off the rail. When you need to get back up table and can’t draw it there. You can’t scratch if you just hit it straight top and hit the rail first. And goes in easy once you know the shot. Plus no normal player knows you went rail first…they just think you played crazy English or are a wizard when you don’t scratch on it….😉