Cue balls? Whats your fav?

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whats your favorite? I'm using the cyclops just because that's what they use at the dcc. It seems to hop and skid more than any cue ball I have ever used. Seems hard to draw too. My fav is the measle.

Thanks in advance. John B.

I like the red dot, but if you like the measle ball better....
I'm going to pull mine out for my next bank game :wink:
even though I hate the bugger....
maybe I have to learn to love it...:grin-square:

td

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Baxter......avoid polishing the balls weekly....cleaning is okay but polished balls throw differently than used, i.e. dirty, pool balls. Pool balls aren't even supposed to get polished before a tournament and if they were. the balls are supposed to washed in soapy water before being played.......polished pool balls do look great though.

Matt B.

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
Baxter......avoid polishing the balls weekly....cleaning is okay but polished balls throw differently than used, i.e. dirty, pool balls. Pool balls aren't even supposed to get polished before a tournament and if they were. the balls are supposed to washed in soapy water before being played.......polished pool balls do look great though.

Matt B.

I use the Aramith cleaner, and clean them by hand.

mnb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whats your favorite? I'm using the cyclops just because that's what they use at the dcc. It seems to hop and skid more than any cue ball I have ever used. Seems hard to draw too. My fav is the measle.

Thanks in advance. John B.
you already said it best.... whatever cue ball is used at tournaments or places you gamble at the most is the one you must get used to

ExilePreacher

Equal Opportunity Gadfly
Silver Member
I like the measles ball the best. Then the blue circle. After those two I really don't care, they all suck.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone else hate the red logo ball? Like drawing lead.

Me Me! That cueball feels so hard like actual rock.

I like measles most.
But i think any of those cueballs will do but they got different elastic attributes(how they feel when you strike em) and ones need to get used them. Played all of them but not cyclops yet.

Last edited:

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
the one with the smallest dot - aramith dot.
if there's a CB with no dots at all that would be my favorite.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I like the red circle cue ball. I have saw too many skids with the Cyclop, possibly the raised logo does some funny stuff. Can't stand the measles ball as it seems to collect all the chalk onto it.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Can anyone tell me the difference between the red dot, red circle, blue dot, blue Aramith and red Aramith logo cue balls? :confused:

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
They say the red circle is the same weight as the measles ball. :cool:

Aramith Red Circle Cue Ball

This new Aramith Red Circle cue ball is an authentic Aramith ball made to the strict Aramith standards.
Retail for this ball is $22.48.
This cue ball will add precision to your game.
The ultimate in balance and roundness standards. This ball is made to the highest Aramith standard for roundness and the red circle cue ball is the same in weight and roundness tolerances as the Super Aramith Pro cue ball, Super aramith Pro Cup cue ball and the Brunswick Blue Circle cue ball.
Through-hardened phenolic resin offers the unique advantage of a completely stabilized material with homogeneous density dispersion throughout each Aramith ball. With the center of gravity at the center of the ball, the resulting ultimate balance guarantees perfectly true and accurate roll.
The unique elasticity of the phenolic Aramith resin has been calibrated to offer the optimal level of rebound to allow players to fully control the effect of every shot.
Burn-spot resistant, hitting a cue ball actually accelerates it from 0 to over 30 km/h (20 MPH) in just a fraction of a second.The resulting friction temperature between ball and cloth can easily reach 250 degree Celsius (482 degree Fahrenheit). That's why Aramith balls are the only ones made from genuine phenolic resin : their molecular structure is engineered to be wear resistant at these high temperatures, making Aramith balls far less vulnerable to abrasive burn-spots.
They hold their high luster and smoothness over a much longer period of time, resulting in minimal ball and table cloth wear.
Tests show Aramith phenolic balls to withstand to over 50 times more impacts than other polymer or polyester balls. They are also twice more scratch-resistant. Consequently, when intensively used even on less maintained tables, Aramith balls are clearly far less easily damaged than others by pocket fixings, table mechanisms or cue sticks.
This is a standard 2 1/4" that you can put into any standard set.
It is common knowledge Aramith balls are preferred by the Pros because of their precision standards and tight tolerances which in turn provide for a true roll.
Aramith balls have a worldwide reputation for their perfect roundness, balance, weight, hardness, friction resistance roll and reaction.

ADAM HENSON

---🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟--
Silver Member
I guess I'm just old school, I like the Aramith tournament black circle cue ball..

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those are my two criteria: high gloss surface and matched size/weight with the OBs.

pj <- and, of course, as round as possible
chgo

I agree completely with pj on these criteria. I find that many measle balls are heavier (probably because they are newer) and that they usually hold chalk dust more than other CBs.

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh heck yeah!! First time I used them I thought I forgot how to bank.It took me a few matches to figure how what was going on. I'm letting mine here at home stay dirty. But a month or so before the dcc I'll have to wax em,ugh. John

I picked up on the problem at the DCC too trying to play one pocket, banks weren't even close. Here at home I have a set of Centennials, a set of basic Aramith and a set of Hyatts and the all play better than Cyclops.

Albatross Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's absolutely wrong. The red circle is lighter by a lot and that's why it's so easy to draw. Aramith considers it a specialty ball.

Aloha

This is some miss information right here. It is not by a lot. I just weighed all of my Brunswick Centennial TV Tour Edition balls, I also weighed the Blue circle, Red circle and Jim Rempe balls that I have. The results are as follows.

1-168 g
2-169 g
3-169 g
4-169 g
5-168 g
6-170 g
7-169 g
8-169 g
9-169 g
10-170g
11-169g
12-168g
13-170g
14-169g
15-168g

No those numbers come out to a 168.93 average over all the numbered balls.

Blue circle cue ball-169 g
Red circle cue ball-168 g
Rempe ball-164 g

The blue circle ball was teetering between 168 and 169, so although the blue may be heavier it is only very slightly so. If I had more cue balls, I would love to take a average on multiple Blues,reds and such. But I do not think that points of a gram can constitute a lot in this case. It seems like miss information. Or maybe may red circle is just newer. If someone has an old one please weigh it and let's put this myth to a rest.

If I had a more accurate scale maybe this test could be performed more precisely.

In my opinion it is not so much the weight of the ball, as the friction on the surface of the ball , that could change the way it moves.

Aloha