Cue ID: Meucci/ TAD/ Other????

landshark77

------blank------
Silver Member
I am working of of memory here...which has become shoty...so I'm gonna try my best and I will correct any info that is not accurate in future posts. Thank you for your help.

A guy I know has this cue (pictured bellow). He says that he won it at a tourney about 15-20 years ago. When it was given to him he was told it was a Meucci. Other people have said it may be a TAD, while others are unsure. This is the butt only as the shaft broke and was disgarded by the owner years ago. There is no ivory on this cue except for the very small circles outlined in gold on the points. There are no markings indicating when/where/or by who the cue was built. I guess the best way to do this is just to have you guys look at the pictures and ask questions that I can try to answer. I will add more info when/if I remember. Sorry for the bad pics. :(

unknownbutt2.jpg

unknownbutt.jpg

unknownfront.jpg

unknownjointfront.jpg

unknownjointside.jpg

unknownpointinlayclose.jpg

unknownunevenpoints.jpg

Last edited:

thepavlos

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The cue reminds me of an old Schrager I have. What type of pin does this cue have?
Paul

Mr. Wilson

El Kabong
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pull off the rubber bumper and show us the end.

Tad's will have a serial # stamped into the wood.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I've seen all kind of Meucci's over the years and Tad's too. I'm 99% sure it's neither. The joint pin for sure isn't 5/16 X 18 - it looks like a 3/8 X 10 pin or maybe a 5/16 X 14.

I couldn't give you a guess on the brand on it. It looks to me like an imported cue. It sure is strange looking.

Chris

Last edited:

MexPoolPlyr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like a Tad

That looks a lot like a TAD with the very old model of 3/8 by 10 pin. Mr wilson is right tho, check under the bumper, but it might be before he began stamping them. The ringwork in my opinion makes it a Tad. Also, the extra long delrin butt cap is another hint. Ive played and seen many old models of tad. Im willing to bet it is. Also, is that the original irish linen? He mostly uses white with green specs. I'll show it to my dad to see what he thinks. He's a longtime fan and user of Tad's cues.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
I would hedge its a Schrager. With his declining health, I think Tad or Ernie could tell you.

Joe

landshark77

------blank------
Silver Member
Thanx guys. The pin is 3/8 by 10. I will not be able to look under the bumper of the cue until Wens....IF the guy has the cue with him. But deffinately the next time I see him I will look or have him look.

Everything on the cue is original...finish and wrap. I belive the wrap is Cortland.

Again, thanx. :)

pawnmon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mystery Cue

I've got early TADs and Schragers and this is neither. Quality and design is WAY off. Either one of those guys would burn something like that before they'd let it out of their shop. I think it's probably an import of some kind from long ago.

know it all

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
UnKnown Cue

landshark77 said:
Thanx guys. The pin is 3/8 by 10. I will not be able to look under the bumper of the cue until Wens....IF the guy has the cue with him. But deffinately the next time I see him I will look or have him look.

Everything on the cue is original...finish and wrap. I belive the wrap is Cortland.

Again, thanx. :)
Find out if the cue came from florida? It might be a Rocky Tillis cue made in Tampa Florida, off of cardinal drive. John Showman ,who makes Showman cues, might be able to help you,he was very good friends with Rocky Tillis. A very good player from tampa by the name of Billy Stegal use to use his cues always. 2Nd guess it might be a late 70's Bert Schrager Cue ,you can call both of these cue makers,they are in the blue book of cues # 2 . The Skunk.

Last edited:

merylane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
know it all said:
Find out if the cue came from florida? It might be a Rocky Tillis cue made in Tampa Florida, off of cardinal drive. John Showman ,who makes Showman cues, might be able to help you,he was very good friends with Rocky Tillis. A very good player from tampa by the name of Billy Stegal use to use his cues always. The Skunk.

dont forget about buddy,cook,crane,p red,jerseyred,miz sr and miz jr.

although this cue doesnt look like a tillis.

know it all

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unknown Cue

merylane said:
dont forget about buddy,cook,crane,p red,jerseyred,miz sr and miz jr.

although this cue doesnt look like a tillis.
How about the stitching around the joint it might be a old joss cue when BillyStroud, Danny Janes, and Tim Skruggs were all together???? The Skunk.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The ringwork does look like TAD but

I think the qualitiy is so low it isnt a TAD. If you ever get it officially identified let me know.

Curious.

Ken

Jeff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like an Auerbach in some ways, but like everyone is saying, the quality doesn't look as good.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Ken_4fun said:
I think the qualitiy is so low it isnt a TAD. If you ever get it officially identified let me know.

Curious.

Ken

Will anybody admit to making this cue, even if they really did???

thepavlos

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Quality

It's not to diminish any ones work when we make these guesses at a cue's maker. The Scrager I have is from 74 and it does have some imperfections in the inlays but you have to remember that Vermillion was doing Bert's inlay work back then, I also have a Burton Spain which I thought I got scammed on but again it turned out to be a very early work by him.
Just for info
Paul

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
thepavlos said:
It's not to diminish any ones work when we make these guesses at a cue's maker. The Scrager I have is from 74 and it does have some imperfections in the inlays but you have to remember that Vermillion was doing Bert's inlay work back then, I also have a Burton Spain which I thought I got scammed on but again it turned out to be a very early work by him.
Just for info
Paul

Of course, Paul!

Some of the old cues were still in the experimental early stages. I think the history is far more important than the final appearance. In fact, most of these cues that are not quite right and hand done are more interesting than the perfectly machined counterparts we see today. I just picked up a pretty homely Eddie Laube cue that I think is fascinating historically.

By the way, Howard Vermillion was my friend growing up and we were pool shooting partners. Howard's family owned an aircraft machine shop here in Burbank (Howard still has it) and Howard learned the pantograph as a teenager. He was also a very good pool player. Howard did Bert's inlays as you know. When Bert was first making cues, he handed me a cue to try. The shaft went "boinngggg" like a diving board after every shot and I just handed it back and told him it was not too good.

He went on to become a great cue maker.

Chris

Last edited:

jschaefer

Registered
this is a very strange looking cue. my guess is it's some bastardized cue someone had inlays (butt) added in/on. like oscar said the buttcap and butt rings look like maybe tad, but the jointrings and screw look like schrager or old joss. to me, the points appear to be joss or very old meucci style. the workmanship is not bad except for the boxes on the butt. who knows?

If i had one guess I would guess ADAMS cue. For some reason after looking at it i am thinking samsara. Ya got me it's to late at night for the brain to work ...

pharaoh68

Banned
matthew staton said:
If i had one guess I would guess ADAMS cue. For some reason after looking at it i am thinking samsara. Ya got me it's to late at night for the brain to work ...

I would have to agree with someone's earlier post. The work is a little too sloppy to be Tad Kohara. Some of the inlays are visibly crooked. And, unless dealing with a hoppe-style cue, TADs generally have a very rounded look to the delrin butt cap. Moreso than this cue does.

Addicted2CuesRU

Biff Lowman
Silver Member
pharaoh68 said:
I would have to agree with someone's earlier post. The work is a little too sloppy to be Tad Kohara. Some of the inlays are visibly crooked. And, unless dealing with a hoppe-style cue, TADs generally have a very rounded look to the delrin butt cap. Moreso than this cue does.
I don't know anything about early TADs, but it looks similar to what I have seen with much sloppier work...

Is is possible that this is a cue made by an "apprentice" of TADs that was never intended to hit the light of day and thus was not stamped due to poor quality... Maybe the apprentices first attempt... Maybe even the apprentices personal design...

If this happened I could see the guy giving it to a buddy or keeping it as a sentimental cue, then bang someone dies and it goes to an estate sale and here it is...

Just a thought...