Cue length

livemusic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do pool players use various cue lengths or do 90% or whatever use 58 inch length? Seems to me it should vary a lot because people's sizes vary a lot but I dunno. I tend to favor a longer cue it seems. I tend to hold a 58 inch cue close to the butt end. I am curious if 58 is actually right for me.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
58" I'd say is over 95% of the cues out there, and is the standard unless you custom order something.

I'm 6'-3", and switched to a 60" cue about 10 years ago. 58" would pop out of my hand occasionally. 60" fits me much better.

livemusic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
58" I'd say is over 95% of the cues out there, and is the standard unless you custom order something.

I'm 6'-3", and switched to a 60" cue about 10 years ago. 58" would pop out of my hand occasionally. 60" fits me much better.
I am 6'2". Say, are any 59 inch cues sold without going custom order? And for longer than 58, is it the shaft or butt that is longer?

Last edited:

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Once you go 60", you never go back.

Prove me wrong, I will listen, anyone ever switch back?

The majority of cues I make and sell are 60", people really like the extra length.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Once you go 60", you never go back.

Prove me wrong, I will listen, anyone ever switch back?

The majority of cues I make and sell are 60", people really like the extra length.

We can all name tall players happily using short cues but you are right, those few inches of length are nice! I have played with a sixty inch cue for a very long time. The reasons are that I do something stupid when I grab a cue around the bumper, bad habits from my teen years come back to life! I generally play with a thirty-thirty even split but I am playing with a 59 inch cue now due to a 29 inch CF shaft. I like a good linen wrap but hate the feel of two different surfaces under my hand, it is a distraction. I'lm going to get a cue with most of the butt wrapped one of these days, from a few inches lower than normal to the butt cap. Might have it done in cork too, no firm decision.

Sixty inches suits me better than a shorter cue and I would like to try 62 inches.

Hu

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had an old Perry Weston that was 59” and it played amazingly well, though I think the length was only part of the reason why it played so well.

I like the power behind a 57” cue.

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
If you want a little longer you could go with a 30" shaft.

My Predator is exactly 59.5" after the 30" shaft, and "hard" bumper for accepting an extension, which is a hair longer than the standard bumper. This includes the tip.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I took a 30” shaft with me today for my Jackpot butt which was 29” and the cue played extremely well at 59”. I was going to take my other Jackpot butt, which is 30”, but I was too lazy to dig through my other case. I have a 58” Jackpot and another that is 60” and I have seven shaft for them that are interchangeable. Some of the shafts are 29”and some are 30”. The tapers on some are a little different, too. Gives me lots of combinations to play around with.

One day, when I am not too lazy, I will experiment with some different tips on a couple of the shafts.

Razor

Lex Parsimoniae
Silver Member
Who is a good production maker of a cue 60+ inches, regular maple shaft (no LD), linen wrap, and $250 bucks or less? Anyone? Preferably something I can just order from Meuller, Seybert's, etc. I don't care greatly about appearance, points, style, etc. Just straight and solid. Would like to try something longer myself so I can get my hand off of the bumper. Or alternative, something production that comes with a 4 inch extension that I can just leave on if I like it...like a combo deal I can choose and order with convenience. Thanks in advance.

~Razor

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who is a good production maker of a cue 60+ inches, regular maple shaft (no LD), linen wrap, and $250 bucks or less? Anyone? Preferably something I can just order from Meuller, Seybert's, etc. I don't care greatly about appearance, points, style, etc. Just straight and solid. Would like to try something longer myself so I can get my hand off of the bumper. Or alternative, something production that comes with a 4 inch extension that I can just leave on if I like it...like a combo deal I can choose and order with convenience. Thanks in advance.

~Razor
Pechauer will custom make you a sneaky with a 30 inch butt and a 30 inch shaft, probably more in the $350 neighborhood. You can PM me if you’re interested as I’m a Pechauer dealer. A 2 inch butt extension or shaft extension would be another option, to turn a 58 inch cue in to a 60 inch cue.

HyperioN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve owned a few 60” cues. I think that extra length is great if you are of average height and play on a 9’ table consistently or if you are over 6’2”. Unfortunately in my area, there aren’t any nice 9’ tables. I’m 5’11” and a 58” works just fine on 98% of my shots. I also like using a 30” shaft on a 29” butt. I have 3 different LD shafts that are 30” (Josey Zero, Josey Java and BD SS360P) and they all play great with 29” and 30” butts. The only true drawback to evenly split 60” cues is the butt possibly being too long for your pool case (30” + 1.25” pin).

Pechauer will custom make you a sneaky with a 30 inch butt and a 30 inch shaft, probably more in the $350 neighborhood. You can PM me if you’re interested as I’m a Pechauer dealer. A 2 inch butt extension or shaft extension would be another option, to turn a 58 inch cue in to a 60 inch cue

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
I am 5'5" and love the extra bit of reach my 60" Mark Bear allows ... yes I play mostly on (my own) 9' table.

Dave

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the beforetimes, when I'd leave the house, I played with a 3" balance rite joint extension full time, but it's a bit tight in a couple spots for at home, so I recently switched back to 58" and hate it. Just ordered a 30" carbon, and I'm hoping that'll be a good compromise. Really looking forward to being able to use a longer cue again. Maybe I'll try to add an inch to my spare butt for when things open up again, and ditch the ugly extension.

CharlesUFarley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 58 Inch Predator Roadline and I play full time with an 8" Molinari extension that has been cut down to 5 inches. I used to play with the extension un-cut, but it was a bit silly. I even have a 3 inch extension on my BK Rush Breaker. I love both of them.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am 6'2". Say, are any 59 inch cues sold without going custom order? And for longer than 58, is it the shaft or butt that is longer?
Mine was a custom order 59” cue and I can’t imagine going back to anything shorter. The shaft and butt are each a 1/2” longer so it feels natural. I think if more people had access to trying a longer cue there would be more longer cues ordered.

Mike Rys

Blind Owl
The 58 inch cue made more sense 100 years ago when the average height was 4 inches less than it is today. The 58 inch cue became the defacto standard. Not to mention that the same 58 inch cues are used by women. Look at 10 men playing today with a wrapped cue. Their grip hand is either at the end of the wrap, partly off the wrap or entirely off the wrap. It's a better fit for women. I only make 60 inch cues now. No one that tries the 60 inch cue has asked if it's available in a 58 inch version. Extensions are a poor substitute for a longer cue as they affect the cue's balance.

glfgd82

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
63" cue for me, I'm just under 6'7", actually want to go a bit longer, going to be benching my current setup as it doesn't fit in my cue case easily so I'm looking at going with something with an extension now, in the 66"+ Range