cue model numbers

cuenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't understand how people CONSTANTLY ask on groups/forums, etc. what model of XXX brand production cue they own. If they are smart enough to know how to start a thread AND post pictures, how can they not find maker catalogs in a normal google search? 90% of them are relatively current models, and what is the fascination with it? Other than finding out what the MSRP was, which is kind of irrelevant anyway?

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't understand how people CONSTANTLY ask on groups/forums, etc. what model of XXX brand production cue they own. If they are smart enough to know how to start a thread AND post pictures, how can they not find maker catalogs in a normal google search? 90% of them are relatively current models, and what is the fascination with it? Other than finding out what the MSRP was, which is kind of irrelevant anyway?

I will give that rant a C-, as online rants go. Is it a rant worthy of its own thread? I don't think so, but maybe others disagree.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I totally agree. Why so many ask here before doing a simple Google search is beyond me. Somebody on the Used Cues FB page asked about a Lucasi the other day. I had his answer in about 2min. Maybe they just want to chat here, hell who knows.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Value is always the next question after the all important model number question.
People want to know how well they scored at the flea market last weekend.
I just wish the cues posted were a little bit nicer.
No wonder they found it at thrift store, but it's the seldom found collectible treasure that keeps everybody interested.

I would rather have the information come through here, than from the "guy at the pool hall" who tells him the cue is worth $2000.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Good point.

Sometimes the cue has undisclosed sentimental value like the time a plain jane viking was given to the OP by his father the day he was born.
The guys at the pool hall told him it was worth $2000.
Without knowing the story people start quoting $30 to $100.
What a shitshow that turned out to be

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a current thread about a $40 set of cheap balls, and what they're worth. The person didnt even bother looking, just asked. I gave him the link to them, and he asked if that was really them. :shrug:

Buy stock in Brawndo now, and avoid the rush! :thumbup:

hurricane145

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my case ( I have a thread going about a couple of Schon cues) I have looked through all the online catalogs and just must have missed one and didn't find the other anywhere. I also looked through current and completed auctions on Ebay and other dealers to see if I would get lucky and find them there.

One cue I was trying to find out about was a Viking. They have extensive catalogs online and It was not in any of them. I emailed a picture of it to Viking and it turned out that it was a cue that was not offered in a catalog and was only offered in online sales.

In the end, not every cue ever made was in a catalog and often not all the companies catalogs are archived. Not all catalogs are online. Not all cues are still marked, some markings have worn off.
I have a Huebler cue I bought in a local shop back in the early 90's that I have never seen in a catalog
I have 46 cues to research and have figured out about 20 of them so far.

In my case, an original retail value or educated guess is good enough and usually the MSRP is easiest to determine, often from a catalog listing.
As for why I asked about the Schon cues was clearly stated in the original post.

My Google-fu is pretty good so I am usually really stumped if I ask about something in a forum.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
In my case ( I have a thread going about a couple of Schon cues) I have looked through all the online catalogs and just must have missed one and didn't find the other anywhere. I also looked through current and completed auctions on Ebay and other dealers to see if I would get lucky and find them there.

One cue I was trying to find out about was a Viking. They have extensive catalogs online and It was not in any of them. I emailed a picture of it to Viking and it turned out that it was a cue that was not offered in a catalog and was only offered in online sales.

In the end, not every cue ever made was in a catalog and often not all the companies catalogs are archived. Not all catalogs are online. Not all cues are still marked, some markings have worn off.
I have a Huebler cue I bought in a local shop back in the early 90's that I have never seen in a catalog

In my case, an original retail value or educated guess is good enough and usually the MSRP is easiest to determine, often from a catalog listing.
As for why I asked about the Schon cues was clearly stated in the original post.

My Google-fu is pretty good so I am usually really stumped if I ask about something in a forum.

Don't give it a second thought. You asked about cues on a billiards forum. It's all good. Some people enjoy helping others in pursuit of shared interests and some people enjoy sniveling.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just think it's trivial fun. I don't really care if it is a valuable custom or an inexpensive recent catalog cue.

And there is always something more to learn.

It's a lot more fun if it's difficult to track down, but even if it's just providing a quick ID, a reference, and maybe some background or history....it's just trivial fun.

Sometimes you make a friend too. I have been acquainted with several people in such a way. And on several occasions that acquaintanceship led to a great cue deal.

cuenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks to all, and good points. I guess I need to chill a bit. :thumbup:
Can you delete a thread?

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You should post up the Huebler, I, and many others, may just want to stare at it for a while :)

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The Huebler Fan Page on FB is a good source of information. The gentleman who runs the page was able to tell me the model number for a couple old Hueblers I sent him pictures of.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Well thank god for forums and facebook groups because questions like that have been in my e-mail for the last 22 years.

JV

hurricane145

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You should post up the Huebler, I, and many others, may just want to stare at it for a while :)

Okay since you asked! I bought it new for $325 I think it was back about 1990 or so. I still have the receipt but would have to take a look at it to be sure.

The sticker which I still have stuck to the receipt says it is a Huebler P-SPEC-8 cue.
I always guessed the P was for Palmer since it has something of a Palmer look to it.
Maybe some kind of Palmer tribute SPECial cue #8?? No custom shop markings on it.
The butt section has some redish hue in the swirly plastic. KInda weird looking!

The points are not cut the same length and are off from each other. I don't know why that is.
I have looked online several times through the years but I don't come up with anything searching around. I should have called or written Paul before he died and asked about it but it didn't occur to me back then. I was more interested in using it!

Attachments

• Huebler2.jpg
    Huebler2.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 133
  • Huebler1 (2).jpg
    Huebler1 (2).jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice looking cue, post it in the main forum, I'm sure there are a few people on here who would know more about it.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've often wondered this also. ^^^

Current & final stable ~ McD D-1, McD E-B5, 2001 Rick Howard, 2010 Pechauer Pro-H
Cases ~ GTF 1x2, JB Rugged 2x3, It's George Suede soft case, New Image leather 1x1

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay since you asked! I bought it new for $325 I think it was back about 1990 or so. I still have the receipt but would have to take a look at it to be sure.

The sticker which I still have stuck to the receipt says it is a Huebler P-SPEC-8 cue.
I always guessed the P was for Palmer since it has something of a Palmer look to it.
Maybe some kind of Palmer tribute SPECial cue #8?? No custom shop markings on it.
The butt section has some redish hue in the swirly plastic. KInda weird looking!

The points are not cut the same length and are off from each other. I don't know why that is.
I have looked online several times through the years but I don't come up with anything searching around. I should have called or written Paul before he died and asked about it but it didn't occur to me back then. I was more interested in using it!
Wished I had kept my Huebler!

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

I have had so many cue ID questions you wouldn't believe it. People own cues and would like to know something basic about them. How old, what was the model number, is it rare, what is the story? It's totally understandable.

FYI I have two filing cabinets stuffed with cue brochures and almost every reference book available, but in many cases I am still stumped (there are just so many!). What I am impressed with is the collective ability of the AZ membership to ID cues that can be identified. It never fails to impress me.

Last edited: