Cue Of The Year?

mia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there no cue of the year poll this year?

I know last year Jaime took a lot of flack from people because "the Black Boar/Manzino/(insert name here) didn't win?!? I call BS!"

But is there really no COTY this year?

B <------------- would gladly let people submit entries here and I'll just pick the best of the bunch. ;-)

snowmon34

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope your wrong, and Jamie handles this contest for us..
Jamie does a great job of executing this thankless task..

For a lot of us It's the only time we get to see some of the best cue works in the WORLD!!

peterskw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope Jamie does it again this year. He does a great job and I always look forward to seeing the entries.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is my pick

http://http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=344876&highlight=balabushka

Before you get all nutsies... yes it is 40 years old, but essentially has disappeared for those 40 years... so to ALL of us, it is a NEW cue....

JV

That cue broke some of the "you will never see" rules I had heard about identifying Bushkas. But it is a very late cue for George, so it appears in his latter years that he was willing to bend on some things he used to stand firm against.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Should Cue of the Year Be Limited To Strictly New Cues?

Somehow a 40 year old cue, or even a 3 year old cue, shouldn't even be eligible......these cues had their time and place
but not as a contemporaneous entry as Cue Of The Year.........yeah, from the past maybe. The contest should be about
inspiring new cue designs and craftsmanship not just a rerun of what was done in past years.

If a cue is really going to be "Cue of the Year", the pool cue should have to have been made (completed) in 2013 and not
from some earlier period.........Come on and think about it..........Cue of The Year should be a current cue not some cue
from the past. Those cues deserve to be seen but not considered for this type contest......the pool industry has got to stop
living in the past and step into the future.

Who cares about a cue made by Paul Mottey when he is no longer making pool cues..........pool cue aficionados and collectors?
Since Paul Mottey is retired, why celebrate one of his cues from say 10-15 years versus a cue-maker currently making cues and
using creative designs. More attention is needed on the current state of affairs of cue-making instead of taking another stroll down
"Memory Lane" of cue-making yesteryear. Heck, you wanna do that, then just pick up the Blue Book of Cues and browse away.

And just because one has never seen a cue because it was stashed in a safe for 30-40 years, it is still age inappropriate......you don't get to
pick any automobile or athlete as "of the year award".........all of the entries & entrants must be from the current production period or season.
Sure it may be new to you as a first viewing but that hardly qualifies it as a candidate for Cue of The Year.......that should only be new cues.

Last edited:

mia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes. Cue of the Year should be a cue built in 2013.
And again, if people wanna submit candidates here, I'm more than happy to play judge. No polls. No voting. Just me saying "This one wins". Lol

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
I just threw it out there because it is the cue I would choose for a plethora of reasons. Also God forbid this would win, OMG the crybabies would come out of the woodwork in droves... FTR, and Paul is a dear friend of ours and has been for 30 years... this isn't a Mottey and thanks to the internet, blue books etc.. we have all been able to see Pauls biggest cues.

There are a lot of reasons this Bushka is big, and most do not know what those reasons are.

JV

Should Cue of the Year Be Limited To Strictly New Cues?

Somehow a 40 year old cue, or even a 3 year old cue, shouldn't even be eligible......these cues had their time and place
but not as a contemporaneous entry as Cue Of The Year.........yeah, from the past maybe. The contest should be about
inspiring new cue designs and craftsmanship not just a rerun of what was done in past years.

If a cue is really going to be "Cue of the Year", the pool cue should have to have been made (completed) in 2013 and not
from some earlier period.........Come on and think about it..........Cue of The Year should be a current cue not some cue
from the past. Those cues deserve to be seen but not considered for this type contest......the pool industry has got to stop
living in the past and step into the future.

Who cares about a cue made by Paul Mottey when he is no longer making pool cues..........pool cue aficionados and collectors?
Since Paul Mottey is retired, why celebrate one of his cues from say 10-15 years versus a cue-maker currently making cues and
using creative designs. More attention is needed on the current state of affairs of cue-making instead of taking another stroll down
"Memory Lane" of cue-making yesteryear. Heck, you wanna do that, then just pick up the Blue Book of Cues and browse away.

And just because one has never seen a cue because it was stashed in a safe for 30-40 years, it is still age inappropriate......you don't get to
pick any automobile or athlete as "of the year award".........all of the entries & entrants must be from the current production period or season.
Sure it may be new to you as a first viewing but that hardly qualifies it as a candidate for Cue of The Year.......that should only be new cues.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My reference to a Paul Mottey cue was simply an example, which seems appropriate since I own a very handsome cue and Paul is one of the
best cue-makers of all time. Regardless, I shouldn't be allowed to enter a cue built in October1991 in any contest for Cue of the Year 2013
regardless of how great my Mottey happens to look

SSach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jamie make it happen

I hope Jamie takes the lead and makes this happen. For the few people who know how to stir up problems no matter what, many of us have enjoyed seeing the cues over the past year.

And I agree with some others - even though a treasure has been discovered (like the Balabushka) we should only consider cues that were made in 2013. That has been the basis of the contest in the past.

I see no reason why the rules should be changed. We all would agree that the Balabushka would be the biggest cue discovery and probably a top 10 cue from a collector's perspective. If that cue was to enter a contest it should be versus the Boxed Gus Szamboti owned by Will Prout and the Silver Ginacue with the Ivory Handle amongst others that have been discussed as the most influential and biggest cues out there (again my opinion).

Hoping for a 2013 cue for the year poll. I know Steve aka Tikkler as well as some others will have a few cues to throw into the running.

Sanjay - poor SOB with no cue to contribute to 2013 cue of the year.

Badbeat13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This

This may get a chuckle or some harsh criticism, but it's a 2013 cue, ebony on ebony, all white is ivory, and it plays great.

There will be naysayers on this one, but it does have a lot of work in it. It's not getting my vote either. My vote would likely go to one of Tikklers cues, but there may be a lot of cues out there that I haven't seen.

Let the laughs and bashing begin, but it is a nice cue.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is not a bash of the above thread......it's just common sense and an expression of morality.
You do not reward or promote dishonesty, lying or stealing which your cue-maker did to many customers.

So you're right.......proposing any Zinzola or Lee Peppers cue should be verboten........scumbag reputation cue-makers
like those two banditos should not be considered but this isn't my contest to say what's allowed. But admitting those two would
tantamount to naming Bernie Madorf "Humanitarian of the Year".... liars & thieves should not be allowed in the competition.

Last edited:

Badbeat13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly

Yeah.....you're right.......proposing any Zinzola or Lee Peppers cue should be verboten........scumbag reputation cue-makers
like those two banditos should not be considered but this isn't my contest to say what's allowed. But admitting those two would
tantamount to naming Bernie Madorf "Humanitarian of the Year".... liars & thieves should not be allowed.

That's a point I can't argue with, this just happens to be the only 2013 cue that I have. That Zinzola wouldn't have won 2 or 3 years ago either, but it would've been looked at in a different light.

Just goofin' on New Years Day was really all that was about.

Happy New Year buddy, Jerry

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Seems if you're going to disallow cuemaker scumbaggery, depending upon your definition of such, there are probably 5-6 cuemakers whose poor service habits should bar them from such a competition.

JV

This is not a bash of the above thread......it's just common sense and an expression of morality.
You do not reward or promote dishonesty, lying or stealing which your cue-maker did to many customers.

So you're right.......proposing any Zinzola or Lee Peppers cue should be verboten........scumbag reputation cue-makers
tantamount to naming Bernie Madorf "Humanitarian of the Year".... liars & thieves should not be allowed in the competition.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems if you're going to disallow cuemaker scumbaggery, depending upon your definition of such, there are probably 5-6 cuemakers whose poor service habits should bar them from such a competition.

JV

Agreed, I know one I would add to the list.

Ken

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
On the good side

Wouldn't Paul Drexler win last year and 2014! He did win the Cue maker show. And may repeat new this year.

Nick :)