Cue terminology

Toxictom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know what a Sneaky Pete is, what is a Merry Widow?
I also know what points refer to on a cue, but what are some other terms that are germane to cuemaking and billiards?

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
A merry widow basically means a basic cue with no points. I have seen cues with inlays in the butt sleeve still called merry widows, but generally a merry widow is no points & no inlays.

shakes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A merry widow basically means a basic cue with no points. I have seen cues with inlays in the butt sleeve still called merry widows, but generally a merry widow is no points & no inlays.

I thought a merry widow was a one piece butt (same wood the full length of the butt). I thought a plain jane was a 3 piece basic cue (forearm and butt sleeve are the same type of wood, with some sort of wrap linen or leather).

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I thought a merry widow was a one piece butt (same wood the full length of the butt). I thought a plain jane was a 3 piece basic cue (forearm and butt sleeve are the same type of wood, with some sort of wrap linen or leather).

Technically, a merry widow is a lingerie garment where the bottom is covered but the top is not. It's also the name of an opera. But as I understand it in cue terminology, it's just a P/J. It is cue terminology so nothing is really set in stone or standard. It's unfortunate because it does cause confusion. I have always heard the 3-piece plain janes called either a plain jane, or a merry widow. Much like a sneaky pete is often also called a conversion. Tomato potato

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member

^^THIS^^ You can also look it up in the Billiard Encyclopedia.

Worminator

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
image_zpsfu9kcx6f.gif

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

A Merry Widow is a cue without points in the forearm.

"Plain Jane" is an alternative term for Merry Widow. Some Janes are far from plain.

Dale

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

I agree. :D