Cue tips test hardness with "Durometer"

Manoman2444

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The one on Pool Dawg says it uses a "Shore A durometer". I guess there is quite a difference, according to what durometer you use.

CueNewb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very nice post sir. very helpful in my opinion. And it makes sense with the few tips that i have tried. Thank you for taking the time to do so.

Pre-Flag Master

Cue Ball Man
Silver Member
to FLYINGSNAIL and Murray Tucker...

There is another thread where a comparison was made of ferrule hardnesses. But I am also dying to know how the hardness of maple compares. Since you folks seem to have the equipment would you be willing to do some more tests? I am assuming that calibrations (zeroing?) may differ, so it wouldn't hurt to re-test some ferrule materials on your own equipment to establish reference numbers for cross comparison. I am also aware that maple can vary quite a bit from sample to sample so I would propose testing the following...

At least three different pieces of maple on what would be considered wood normally suitable for shafts

Three to five of some of the more commonly used ferrule materials such as LBM, Titan, Juma, Mason's micarta, etc.

And finally Ivory

Thanks
Fatz

Murray Tucker

Just a Padawan
Silver Member
Ivory end grain and maple cross and end grain. I'll do a bigger sample later. Dinner is ready.

aefe6173-a5f3-b47a.jpg

aefe6173-a636-4145.jpg

aefe6173-a659-b6c9.jpg

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Murray Tucker

Just a Padawan
Silver Member
I picked the heaviest, average and lightest shafts from my inventory. At .020 oversized they weigh 4.55, 4.00 and 3.64 respectively. Measuring the cross and end grain they measure:

4.55= 73 and 71
4.00= 69 and 63
3.64= 67 and 60

Pre-Flag Master

Cue Ball Man
Silver Member
Mr. Tucker, I see the gauge in your pictures is labeled as "Type D". The testing equipment in the ferrule hardness thread I referred to earlier used "Shore D". Are these the same thing? I just wanted to be sure that the numbers I am comparing are apples to apples.

BTW ivory came in at 87 for anybody who couldn't read the blurry picture.

Thanks again Mr. Tucker.

Fatz

I picked the heaviest, average and lightest shafts from my inventory. At .020 oversized they weigh 4.55, 4.00 and 3.64 respectively. Measuring the cross and end grain they measure:

4.55= 73 and 71
4.00= 69 and 63
3.64= 67 and 60

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
dura meter

i have been looking at the dura meters for tips
im not sure which one would be the one to buy.

any advise would be helpful

mike

Murray Tucker

Just a Padawan
Silver Member
I got mine on ebay and last night is the first time I have had it out in years. Problem with all the testing is that they are just numbers. You can take two tips that measure the same and they play nothing alike. You have to be real careful to not focus so hard on the tangible stuff that you forget about the intangibles.

i have been looking at the dura meters for tips
im not sure which one would be the one to buy.

any advise would be helpful

mike

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I first got the idea to measure tip hardness by numbers from Guido Orlandi back in 99 or 2000. We bought a $300 Durometer, don't ask me what scale, and proceeded to measure tips at ten points and average out the readings. Then I would hit a hundred balls and test again. We used a 6oz hammer as well to simulate hitting the ball.

At the end of it I discovered that MOST tips would end up very close to each other no matter where they started out.

For this reason I got out of tips. People are going the wrong direction in my opinion. I don't understand why no one is trying harder to compete with Tweeten. Seems to me everyone wants to be Moori and fight over 5% of the market and just concede 95% to Tweeten.

I had a 5 layer tip colored black and marked only with a T on it. I had no idea what these tips were. I told folks that the T stood for test. No hardness rating nothing. I gave some away and sold the rest for like $2 a tip. The feedback I got was phenomenal. People loved them and asked for more. I coudn't get more or I would have.

Also regarding Durometer readings, I seem to recall that the Durometer used without a stand is considered to be inconsistent and unreliable when precise measurement is required. So I wouldn't put a lot of faith in single point readings. That's why I used 10 point readings which probably weren't much better but it made me feel better about doing it without a stand.

Murray Tucker

Just a Padawan
Silver Member
I agree with John (Did I just admit that?) and that is why my durometer has been sitting in my tool box for so long. I just dug it out because of this thread and now it will go back in the box.

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
Joe Porper made this one for me years ago. It has a two stage lever and adjustable table to accommodate different tips.

1.jpg

2.JPG

3.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member

4.55= 73 and 71
4.00= 69 and 63
3.64= 67 and 60

If you don't mind...

What were the gpi's for each of those??

jcs003

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
im not sure a durometer is the correct device for measuring pool cue tip hardness. im an engineer and work with plastics alot in my industry and the duramoter is a commonly used tool. the issue with measuring cue tips is they are layered and there are different densities throughout the tip. as stated above it is more practicle to measure multiple points and even then, the irrregularities can only distort the test results. another issue with this is we would have to know more about the quality control of the manufacturing facilities. this is where we would need samples from multiple batches/production runs.

im not trying to overcomplicate things or dismiss someones work its just my experiences taught me to overanalyze in the pursuit of logical problem solving. this aids me in my work to prevent failures in our products.